E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CCC Module burned out

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d
I couldn't tell you if the new one would burn out, sorry, there are too many things that could have caused the last one to burn out! at the time it burnt out, was it a hot day? was it around the same time or shortly after spilling drink on the console?

I'd open up the I-Drive control knob and check for corrosion on the board before installing a new CCC, as this spill seems to be the only thing I can think of that could possibly cause that.

As it burnt before the fuse blew is, leads me think that it was corrosion on one of the boards (probably the drink spill) creating a 'close to zero ohm' short on the power, which in turn loaded the power supply circuit to max, but not enough current to blow the fuse, and then it cooked itself.

I'd start with the I-Drive knob next and then and confirm there is no corrosion

All the best,

Matt
It wasn't a warm night, it was pretty cold. And as far as the drink goes, it was shortly after. The drink was spilled 3-4 hours prior to the screen going out.

Thank you, I'll go check out the i-drive knob and see if I can find something there.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys

Originally Posted by teh_pledge
It wasn't a warm night, it was pretty cold. And as far as the drink goes, it was shortly after. The drink was spilled 3-4 hours prior to the screen going out.

Thank you, I'll go check out the i-drive knob and see if I can find something there.
I'd have to say its directly related, Wherever the spill was take off all the panels and modules and clean them out, especially the knob.

Then I believe it would be safe to install a new or repaired CCC.

Best of luck mate,

Matt
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

I'd have to say its directly related, Wherever the spill was take off all the panels and modules and clean them out, especially the knob.

Then I believe it would be safe to install a new or repaired CCC.

Best of luck mate,

Matt
I have checked the wires and there seems to be no corrosion. I have already cleaned out everything that I could the following day after the spill so I think I'm ready to put the new one in. Well first, I need to find one at a good price lol.

Thank you for your help!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:05 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys

Not a problem at all!

Good luck and I hope the new one doesn't cause you any grief. Its still strange how it burnt out like that, its possible the drink dried up now and won't cause any more issues

All the best,

- Matt
Old 04-30-2015, 01:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60

Hey teh_pledge,

I'm an electronics technician and do lots of fault finding to component level, if you upload a pic of the board (I've never looked at a CCC screen board before but am very familiar with complex circuits) I might be able to help you identify an issue and possible fix for the current board. Like most circuits, heat is the number one killer, followed by water. of course any short circuits, voltage spikes or component failures can also be the cause.

I think it sounds like component failure, being its just the CCC screen (I assume I-Drive is still working like the radio and voice) and could be an on board power supply which I can fix and test (I have an 04 545i too) or somebody whose electronics savvy can fix

More than happy to help a fellow enthusiast out, just need clear pictures of the PCB and in particular the area around the burnt spot (as clear as possible so the component values are visible)

Cheers,

Matt
HI i have bmw ccc with hw 9.5
can u help me find bed connection
when i touch on the back the ccc cables navi come down i thing mainboard have problem but i can't find
any help
thank you
Old 11-14-2016, 01:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61

Hello,
Same problem..
Can any body send a photo of this board to recognise what elements is burned out?

Thank you.

Originally Posted by teh_pledge
Here is the board: