E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car doesn't sleep with CD in drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by balbs
From my original post, it's been at least 3 hours since I parked the car when I heard the "fuel pump" sound. Then peeked in the window and noticed the "P" light is on. I took the CD out of the drive, locked the car and set the alarm, and within 30 min. the "P" light went out. Checked back again hours later and the "P" light is still off letting me know that the car is asleep. So I can replicate the issue that having a CD in the drive will not let the car go to sleep.
Maybe I'm just slow here but your test doesn't seem to replicate the issue as you suggest, it only proves that your car will sleep with no CD in the drive. The issue we need to replicate is the one where the car won't sleep with a CD in the drive. Just because you heard the car wake up after three hours doesn't mean the CD is the culprit. Many things can cause the car to wake up (and you really never mentioned if you saw the car awake after one or two hours.)

I suggest you put the CD back in, close the car and don't touch it at all for about 20-30 minutes. After that time, again without touching anything, take a look at the "P" light and see if it's on. If it's off, then the CD is not likely the culprit. If it's still on, wait a while longer -- maybe an hour or so -- and see what's up...
Old 07-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Balbs,

Is the CD you are putting in the drive a commercially purchased CD, or a burned CD (mp3's etc.), and if it is a commercially purchased CD, try a different CD and see if the problem still occurs. The reason I suggest this is that I had a battery drain issue on my X3 which I eventually determined to be caused by a burned MP3 cd that the stereo unit was having trouble trying to read... basically, it would CD head would keep seeking and not allow the car to enter sleep mode. I chucked out that CD and re-burned another one... problem solved. If the CD player has trouble reading the CD, it could be the reason your car is not going into sleep mode.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530i/2007 328i Coupe

Originally Posted by balbs
Is this normal? I don't have a CD changer, just the single drive. The radio was turned off before turning the car off.

Balbs
No it is not normal. I leave a CD in my drive continuously and it goes into sleep mode just fine and stays there until I open the door. I have always left CD's the drives of my BMW's and they have all gone into sleep mode without waking prematurely. I think you have isolated your problem. Won't the dealer replace the CD drive or software that runs it?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Our car hums all the time- As soon as I unlock it, it starts humming- that's why I cal it "Airwolf"- from the old TV show.

I've never heard that on any other car, so I figured it was a BMW thing. Car starts every time, for over a year- so I never lost sleep over it, though I always wondered what it was. Ironically, some nights the car has been parked for hours, and I'll walk by it to take the trash out, and I've heard it start humming again, for no reason- as if I just unlocked it.

So, it was apparently asleep at some point, but maybe it has nightmares sometimes! LOL