E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car doesn't sleep with CD in drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I was walking past my car the other night when I heard the "fuel pump" noise. The car alarm is armed and doors are locked. I peeked through the window and noticed that the "P" light next to the gear selector is on. It seems the car didn't go to sleep. I don't have comfort access. I went back inside, unlocked the door and took the CD out of the CD player. I set the alarm again and 30 min. later, the car went to sleep. I checked again a few hours later and the car was still asleep.

Have you guys noticed this before? This happened to me in the past which is why I don't leave a CD in the drive. Is this normal? I don't have a CD changer, just the single drive. The radio was turned off before turning the car off.

Balbs
Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Nav

Originally Posted by balbs
I was walking past my car the other night when I heard the "fuel pump" noise. The car alarm is armed and doors are locked. I peeked through the window and noticed that the "P" light next to the gear selector is on. It seems the car didn't go to sleep. I don't have comfort access. I went back inside, unlocked the door and took the CD out of the CD player. I set the alarm again and 30 min. later, the car went to sleep. I checked again a few hours later and the car was still asleep.

Have you guys noticed this before? This happened to me in the past which is why I don't leave a CD in the drive. Is this normal? I don't have a CD changer, just the single drive. The radio was turned off before turning the car off.

Balbs
Seems to be normal from what I have read around here. I have 04 545 cd/w changer and nav and have heard noises all over the car (truck, cd, nav drive, and the light next to the shifter) after I get out an lock it. Seems to last forever, at least 15-20 mins after locking. I have never really timed it to see how long it really takes to go to sleep, but it has never caused a problem. Unless its killing your battery or something, I would just let it do its thing.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Contributors

That sort of sucks! What do the guys with CD changers do to make their car sleep, pull the magazine out? Sucks that the radio power doesn't really turn the radio off, but only mutes it.

The reason I ask is because a few weeks ago I was doing a mod and needed to disconnect the battery (original). I noticed that the charge indicator window on the battery was black...green if fully charged or okay. Although I haven't seen any battery issues, I'm just wondering if there was something preventing it from fully charging or draining it. I guess I should plan on getting a new battery soon?

Just took a peek at the car right not and the "P" light is off....shhhh...she's sleeping.

Balbs
Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by balbs

Balbs
It would help if you told us what year and model
On my 2010 535i it only takes 5 minutes or less to go into the sleep mode. Even if you don't have the CD in it shouldn't take 30 minutes to go to sleep. good luck
cheers
vern
Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Contributors

2006 525i. No comfort access. Premium pakage.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

do you have a BMW car kit or bluetooth as with these kits, it can take up to an hour for them to go to sleep.

The "P" light will stay on until the car goes to sleep.

Check it after an hour / hour and a half.

BMW assist told me this as I kept get battery problems (going flat) and they told me that this can be one of the causes..... turned out that my problem was the IBS lead.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Yes I have the stock bluetooth. The car does go to sleep after 30min. But that's only if there is no CD in the drive (as far as I noticed). What's the IBS lead?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Hey Balbs,
The car will eventually go to sleep even with the CD in the drive. I have both the CDC and CD in my car and yes I do notice the car wakes up every now and then to do something but I don't think it's draining your battery in any way. Think of it this way, our cars are smart enough to "pre-load" the fuel pump, certain hydraulic components, and music so that when we turn on the car, it's all ready to go. Do you not notice the CD and CDC play immediately just as you turn it on without the delay in loading? I do.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

balbs, either I missed it somewhere or you never mentioned how long you've waited for the car to sleep with the CD in the drive. Clearly, it's supposed to go to sleep even with a disc inserted so either there's something wrong with your car or your not waiting long enough.

So you can understand more about the power system in the E60, take a look at the following document in the technical gallery:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php...mage&img=10935

Pay particular attention to how the car sleeps, wakes up, etc. so you'll fully understand if your car is acting normally or not...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy
balbs, either I missed it somewhere or you never mentioned how long you've waited for the car to sleep with the CD in the drive. Clearly, it's supposed to go to sleep even with a disc inserted so either there's something wrong with your car or your not waiting long enough.

So you can understand more about the power system in the E60, take a look at the following document in the technical gallery:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php...mage&img=10935

Pay particular attention to how the car sleeps, wakes up, etc. so you'll fully understand if your car is acting normally or not...
From my original post, it's been at least 3 hours since I parked the car when I heard the "fuel pump" sound. Then peeked in the window and noticed the "P" light is on. I took the CD out of the drive, locked the car and set the alarm, and within 30 min. the "P" light went out. Checked back again hours later and the "P" light is still off letting me know that the car is asleep. So I can replicate the issue that having a CD in the drive will not let the car go to sleep.

Quick Reply: Car doesn't sleep with CD in drive