E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car doesnt handle very well

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Another vote for run flats being the culprit. I had the OEM Bridgestones on my 550i Sport and they were incredibly poor - harsh ride, and very limited grip on anything other than a bone dry road surface and warm ambient temperatures. Cold, wet days bring out the worst in these tires - they are just awful, and not at all befitting of a BMW. Switching out to non-RFT's made a significant difference to ride and handling. The RFT's do turn in well due to the stiff sidewall, but in all other performance aspects trail a good non-RFT by a mile. The RFT's are also very prone to tramlining (definitely an issue with the poor freeways here in NorCal) but that problem can also be greatly reduced with a switch to a high performance tire.

It could, of course, also be that you have an alignment issue. Doesn't much more than a moderately hefty knock on a pot hole and you can out the alignment out by a noticeable amount.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Members

I started on 18in runflats and sport dampers/springs, as already said the turn in is great, otherwise handling nothing special but ok, and the ride was rubbish. Went to 18in conti sports and the ride and handling was transformed but as i got used to it wanted more, so changed to koni fsd, again transformed but found the dampers unpredictable ie. on the same road sometimes they would ride great, othertimes, as bad as the sport dampers, if the fsd's were unsure they just seemed to default to a sport setting.
Changed the fsd's to stock sachs se dampers/springs and retained the sport anti-roll bars. Then ditched the 18's for stock 16's with 225x55 16 Michelin rear and dunlop front.

All i can say is the car is now everything i would expect from a 5 series, the ride quailty is superb and the handling is excellent, completely stable at high speed ,comfortable but sporty if needed, my average mpg is now up by 5. tramlining is non existent. its been an expensive development program but now cant help but think the car was designed for 16's
Old 03-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='807069' date='Mar 4 2009, 04:17 AM
I started on 18in runflats and sport dampers/springs, as already said the turn in is great, otherwise handling nothing special but ok, and the ride was rubbish. Went to 18in conti sports and the ride and handling was transformed but as i got used to it wanted more, so changed to koni fsd, again transformed but found the dampers unpredictable ie. on the same road sometimes they would ride great, othertimes, as bad as the sport dampers, if the fsd's were unsure they just seemed to default to a sport setting.
Changed the fsd's to stock sachs se dampers/springs and retained the sport anti-roll bars. Then ditched the 18's for stock 16's with 225x55 16 Michelin rear and dunlop front.

All i can say is the car is now everything i would expect from a 5 series, the ride quailty is superb and the handling is excellent, completely stable at high speed ,comfortable but sporty if needed, my average mpg is now up by 5. tramlining is non existent. its been an expensive development program but now cant help but think the car was designed for 16's
i would love to upgrade the suspension but it is a lease... i tint is the only non-removable upgrade for this ride...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='806746' date='Mar 4 2009, 04:05 AM
i drive very well, thankyou sir.

i am hoping to get opinions of people who went from RFs to good tires and what their experience are. i am just suprised how easily the car breaks loose on corners at relatively low speeds

i switched my RFT's for 245/45 R18 continental contisport wheels and the difference is remarkable.... try that for starters, thanks.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='807069' date='Mar 4 2009, 04:17 AM

Interesting, I had such high hopes for the koni FSD technology but have not read any great reviews

SE dampers and springs with sway bars is an Alpina trick... They have often been credited with making BMW's ride and handle better than stock.

WOW you went all the way down to 16" wheels. If that doesn't help the ride nothing will. You added a full inch to the tire sidewall. I have been happy with my 18" wheels but they are forged, light weight and have Michelin Pilots which are damn expensive but work wonderfully
Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='807557' date='Mar 4 2009, 09:50 PM
Interesting, I had such high hopes for the koni FSD technology but have not read any great reviews

SE dampers and springs with sway bars is an Alpina trick... They have often been credited with making BMW's ride and handle better than stock.

WOW you went all the way down to 16" wheels. If that doesn't help the ride nothing will. You added a full inch to the tire sidewall. I have been happy with my 18" wheels but they are forged, light weight and have Michelin Pilots which are damn expensive but work wonderfully

The fsd's are good but more sporty than comfort. Although not the capital S for sporty of the bmw dampers, so there is a little compromise.

Didnt realise that was an Alpina trick, perhaps explains why it feels good.

Im sure forged lightweight wheels will help but the genuine 124's i was using are very heavy, the wheel tyre combo on the rear weighs 57lbs each ( a lot of inertial mass ) where the 16's weigh around 44 lbs each.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='806782' date='Mar 3 2009, 09:33 PM
i am not happpy with the way my car rides either. i mean i wanted a sports sedan, but also luxury. this thing rides like a HUMMWV.
THIS is defintely the fault of the run-flats...there simply are not word to describe how bad I hate my run-flats...but I've said it here too many times already, so I won't dwell on it again. The good news, I just turned 30,000 miles...the bads news, I still have at least 50% tread left on the rears... the fronts are almost like new.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed

Originally Posted by swajames' post='806911' date='Mar 3 2009, 11:50 PM
The RFT's do turn in well due to the stiff sidewall...
As bad as it pains me to say this....I must agree with this.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

I have a non-sport 535i with 17" stock rims and non run-flat tires. I think they are bridgestone. Anyway, I agree that handling is horrible and I think body roll is excessive. I think I need sway bars, lowering springs and a new set of wheels/tires to compensate for the poor handling. And before anybody says it's "you". Trust me it's not me. I can drive. I used to be in to the street racing scene in my younger and crazier years.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Banned

This is not just the run-flats. My car with sport package and 18 inch runflats cornered like it was on rails when I got it. It always handled amazingly well. Unless you are coming from a "true" sports car than this will probably feel much less solid in handling but it is pretty much rock solid in handling. You can read car and driver over the last years and see its skidpad is .91, body roll is non-existent most times and it is steady as can be on the straights.

I would upgrade to 275-30-19 and 245-35-19s for more meat on the back and shorter, stiffer sidewalls (even though runflats have nice firm side-walls)

To blame run flats for poor performance is just not possible. WIth extremely stiff side-walls, they have increased handling ability and cornering stability, which is why they often are chosen, even on vettes.

I would take your car in and get the suspension checked.

Quick Reply: Car doesnt handle very well