E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CAR A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='886775' date='May 22 2009, 12:12 PM
http://www.benzene-lawyer.com/news/car-smell.html

http://www.eons.com/groups/topic/1635323-C...IS-TRUE-?page=1

http://www.naturez.org/car-dashboard-sofa-...xin-carcinogen/

http://blogs.siliconindia.com/ERPIncidentM...2P84290423.html

http://www.baldati.com/news/article.php?articleid=493

here you go vwvwvw, did a very very quick search and found a few articles and blogs. If you read some them, suprisingly, no body bashed and insulted the OP in each of the site. Contrary to this forum, everyone was pleased to learn something new and were very respectful.

Anyhow, seems this info is causing us friends( well, at least "so called friends" as it seems to be ) to have disrespectful comments.

So i kindly as everyone, stop posting anything. Just kindly read the article if you wish to. And if you wish not to believe anything, just close the window and move on. I'm not hear to pick fights and listen to disrespectful comments. I'm hear to learn, to get some knowledge and have some fun and a few laughs with the guys Just rememeber guys, we are family hear, we re hear to help each other out. (JEEESHHH, I sound like Ghandi hahahaha)
Great that you posted some links, Bteljuice. Thanks. It looks like the warning is the result of a study from the University of California. I wonder what levels of benzene is actually harmful, what duration of exposure, if there were actual case studies, etc. But interesting nonetheless.

I really hope that you won't see people's skepticism as reason to be offended. A good dialogue doesn't let anyone have a free pass.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Contributors

the reason i got angry is because before you posts, plenty were just throwing stupid comments, so just had to blow off some steam.

See you around bro

I was just re-reading my above post, I was so angry that I misspelled "here" with "hear".hahha.just so i dont get attacked by the spelling police.looooool
Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='887375' date='May 23 2009, 02:39 AM

the reason i got angry is because before you posts, plenty were just throwing stupid comments, so just had to blow off some steam.

See you around bro

I was just re-reading my above post, I was so angry that I misspelled "here" with "hear".hahha.just so i dont get attacked by the spelling police.looooool
That's cool.

I found the original article that the original claim is probably referencing:
http://www.nature.com/jes/journal/v1.../7500250a.html

It's worth reading the conclusion. They found that in static, high temperature conditions there are elevated levels of organic compounds. This is where the warning stems from. But they said it dissipates really quickly in normal driving, even in recirculation mode.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Thanks buddy for the extra info, appreciate it
Old 05-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Members

Thanks Bteljuice , I actually thought this was very informative before reading the articles you posted. I did my own research the first time I saw you post and decided for myself that maybe I can just air out my car a bit before closing up the windows and blasting the air. No reason to bash , just use the info if you care to look it up or just ignore the post.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='883073' date='May 19 2009, 11:14 AM
I often open all the windows via the remote control on really hot days, just to give the air-con an easier time of it.
same here +1.

actually, one time, as my coworker and i were headed out to lunch, i rolled them down w/the keyfob still in my pocket as we approached my car. he exclaimed, "holy shit, how did it know we were walking up to it?" i replied, "it's smart like that!"
Old 05-27-2009, 05:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by neoe60' post='891560' date='May 27 2009, 03:00 PM
actually, one time, as my coworker and i were headed out to lunch, i rolled them down w/the keyfob still in my pocket as we approached my car. he exclaimed, "holy shit, how did it know we were walking up to it?" i replied, "it's smart like that!"
I've done a similar thing to my mother-in-law. I told her that if you just touch the BMW roundel on the trunk/boot lid, it automatically opens, but only for people I've already approved. So when she touched it, "magically" it opened. I asked someone else there to touch it and it didn't open. She was amazed. Then my nieces showed up outside (aged 6 and 8) and I told them if you say "open" to it, it automatically opens. Hours of fun winding up the technically challenged of the world
Old 05-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Contributors

hahahaha
Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sent this to my sister's father-in-law who's been an MD for over 30 yrs and who is the head of his dept. His reply:

Check the graphs in the article. The parked car contains 400-800 mg of total volatile organic compounds (VOC). Aromatic hydrocarbons (benzene, toluene, phenol, etc, etc) Comprise only a relatively small fraction of the VOC mixture in the car air. All of these compounds (harmless in such small amounts) dissipate rapidly when the car is driven even with the air being recirculated. Interestingly, benzene in car air is mostly fuel related (notably high in the chevy model tested, possibly attributable to a fuel leak), and concentrations in the air while driving in moderate traffic is 4-5 times higher than that in the parked car. Industrial exposures (long-term, relatively high concentrations) to benzene have been associated with illnesses. Brief exposures to verly high concentrations of benzene (eg - organic chem lab) have never been shown harmful. Personally, I quit drinking the stuff when I discovered bourbon.