E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can Mirror Autofold be programmed to car

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been a while.. can anyone confirm that you can program folding function (to keyfob) to an european E60 that wasn't ordered with folding mirrors in the first place? I'm looking to replace my mirrors with M5 mirrors so I'm wondering if I should get M5 mirrors with folding function or cheaper ones which don't have this folding function (both OEM M5 mirrors).
Old 02-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Members

I wasn't offered the choice to get this enabled on my new LCI before I took delivery. I then found out about this via this forum, called my dealer, Bowkers in Preston, and they said they can do it, but would charge me for it !!!

Great way to treat a brand new customer.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Members

Thanks for the input vji6697! Don't know how much they would charge me here in Finland.. maybe I'm better off with non-folding M5 mirrors since they are also cheaper.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

i follow the reasoning completely regards folding the mirrors electrically and the auto feature by program via key fob.
but i may be jumping the outcome as its not beeen followed up ,that the same problem with retrofit mirrors on non specified electric mirrors when factory ordering is the same as the m5 instrument cluster compatiblity is that on the car programming it will only program what the original specification states apertaining to model designation and vehicle specificication,the "measures" that are run through onreloading items are not allowed unless "retrofit codes" are available. some techs i am sure could if they know how ,add not specked items if they used codes from the specked cars but that is time consuming and would require a level that i think is not available unless previously done by them or instructed by someone who knows.
an example of permitted measures plan is the programming of mp3 compatiblity in the cd drives of ewarly e60.where it was stated that (sib)only cars after 2005 were compatible,indeed most early cars from 2004 tok the upload of data without problems.
ie.the hardware was there just needed to be coded by the computor progarm.
also i believe same apllies to the m5 cluster in non m5 cars although they can be tricked into believing??not sure on this,after programming.
the upshot is to get someon to try but usually a software load usually requires all updating then additions added,generally this is problamatical as can be seen when you read about "had to go back after 24hours to collect car not finished"posts.
usually its crashed and they gotta do it again.
the costs involved are high as the tech has to be with the car constantly.and unless this is a sib from germany the dealer has to carry the cost,so he will say NO NO unless he can charge, then the costs outweigh the job in hand!
sorry for the ramble....trying to shed some light on these quirks is hard there are many factors.
and
this could be all crap!on my part!. i cannot confirm but it is some of my understanding.
it seems to me .that an independant with the correct software and measures plan,may be willing to use his time and try to resolve this and some other issues,but, its gonna cost.......no one spends on time and software without getting paid.but if there are success on these issues lets hope they get posted,.....here

recent issuess include.cd changers,tv modules,mp3,elec mirrors,brakeforce display,running lights,.etc