E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can I play MP3 files in my CD player? Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='368899' date='Dec 19 2006, 12:53 AM
I, like you, went through this struggle on my new this month car. The std cd in the UK is the business one, unless you get other options (professional). So, to date, no E60 UK spec car has MP3 capability on the business unit.

Seems that curent USA cars get Professional by default, but perhaps your 2004 doesnt.

My car has bang up to date programming, and it still doesnt MP3. Its a $500 upgrade in the UK, so even if it can be enabled, it doesnt come for free.....
cheers

steve
ps - i can recommend the ipod interface tho.....
Hi Steve,

I'm ordering my car soon - were you able to order the iPod interface from the factory or was it a dealer fit? And, I assume from your signature that the iPod interface works with the Busines radio?

Thanks,

Darragh
Old 12-20-2006, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by darraghn' post='369429' date='Dec 20 2006, 11:43 AM
Hi Steve,

I'm ordering my car soon - were you able to order the iPod interface from the factory or was it a dealer fit? And, I assume from your signature that the iPod interface works with the Busines radio?

Thanks,

Darragh
Hi

If you look at my post entitled something like

'beware ipod interface'

in the mods and upgrades section, you will have a pretty good idea of whats involved.

It will work with the bog standard stereo - my car is a UK spec 520d SE with std cd/radio. The installation is, i think, a dealer fit. If you ask your salesman, and he looks on his ordering terminal, he likely wont find it in the options list! My dealer knew it existed, but had to pick up the phone and ask the spare parts dept for a price, from the part number I gave him. (65 41 0 415 655)

I was told that the fitted price was approx ?430, of which approx ?190 was the cost of the interface, and the rest labour (about an hour to fit) and programming in to the car (about another hour). Note that if you dont order the 6 cd at the factory, thats a ?600 install as an option!!!!!!!!

If you are practically minded, you could save a few ?? by getting your car with the 6CD changer as standard (?295) and then take it out, and sell it on eBay. (be sure to tell the unsuspecting buyer in small print the car may need coding! They go between 120-160). This way, your cost would be 295(factory 6cd)+190(ipod interface) = 485 , minus approx ?150 for the cd on ebay, = ?335. (almost ?100 cheaper).

If you dont have the CD changer, the car must be programmed at the dealer, even if its fresh off the boat. Dont even think about a self install if the car hasnt got 6cd installed first. The full woe is in my post i referred to.

cheers

steve
Old 12-21-2006, 01:17 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='369445' date='Dec 20 2006, 01:35 PM
Hi

If you look at my post entitled something like

'beware ipod interface'

in the mods and upgrades section, you will have a pretty good idea of whats involved.

It will work with the bog standard stereo - my car is a UK spec 520d SE with std cd/radio. The installation is, i think, a dealer fit. If you ask your salesman, and he looks on his ordering terminal, he likely wont find it in the options list! My dealer knew it existed, but had to pick up the phone and ask the spare parts dept for a price, from the part number I gave him. (65 41 0 415 655)

I was told that the fitted price was approx ?430, of which approx ?190 was the cost of the interface, and the rest labour (about an hour to fit) and programming in to the car (about another hour). Note that if you dont order the 6 cd at the factory, thats a ?600 install as an option!!!!!!!!

If you are practically minded, you could save a few ?? by getting your car with the 6CD changer as standard (?295) and then take it out, and sell it on eBay. (be sure to tell the unsuspecting buyer in small print the car may need coding! They go between 120-160). This way, your cost would be 295(factory 6cd)+190(ipod interface) = 485 , minus approx ?150 for the cd on ebay, = ?335. (almost ?100 cheaper).

If you dont have the CD changer, the car must be programmed at the dealer, even if its fresh off the boat. Dont even think about a self install if the car hasnt got 6cd installed first. The full woe is in my post i referred to.
cheers

steve
Steve,

Thanks for your comprehensive response. I'll see if the dealer can cut me a deal on the labour/coding time.

Darragh
Old 12-21-2006, 02:49 AM
Members

Another option is to but a TomTom. SatNav/Bluetooth/Ipod integration/Handsfree, all for less than the stealers charge for a multi CD player!. And you can take it with you when you change cars ( you wont get much money back for options added to E60 )..
I like E60 in standard form, but it seems that any gadgets added will be a)unreliable, b)overpriced, c)soon out of date, d) uneconomic to repair post warranty.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Uk525i' post='369864' date='Dec 21 2006, 11:49 AM
Another option is to but a TomTom. SatNav/Bluetooth/Ipod integration/Handsfree, all for less than the stealers charge for a multi CD player!. And you can take it with you when you change cars ( you wont get much money back for options added to E60 )..
I like E60 in standard form, but it seems that any gadgets added will be a)unreliable, b)overpriced, c)soon out of date, d) uneconomic to repair post warranty.
BMW want you to load up with options - thats where the money really is for them!

cheers

steve