E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can hesitation between 24 m and 40mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Ok the hesitation is back!! The gas tank is at half and nothing special I can think of that is causing this. I even put the car in M5 mode and it hesitates like it needs to change gears every 3 seconds!
I will take it to the mechanic to see what he can do.

Sheesh!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

yea, same here.....i have fully isolated it down to the following:
  • hesitation between 4th and 5th gear btwn rpm range of 2k to 4.5k
  • hesitation betwen 5th and 6th gear btwn rpm range of 2k to 4.5k
  • hesitation occurs in manual mode, sport auto mode and regular auto mode
  • no change in acceleration performance when pushed hard
  • no issues when idling
  • hesitation only occurs during moderate acceleration or when maintaining a speed within the aforementioned rmp ranges
so, i think either its a software issue given that shifts btwn gears are butter smoother otherwise, or possibly 4th and 5th gears are beginning to go bad and are slipping in/out of gear. the issue has gone from occasional to now a daily constant problem whenever in the aforementioned gears & rpm ranges.

im looking to take my car to the dealer within the next week for a full diagnostic...
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by umichchris
yea, same here.....i have fully isolated it down to the following:
  • hesitation between 4th and 5th gear btwn rpm range of 2k to 4.5k
  • hesitation betwen 5th and 6th gear btwn rpm range of 2k to 4.5k
  • hesitation occurs in manual mode, sport auto mode and regular auto mode
  • no change in acceleration performance when pushed hard
  • no issues when idling
  • hesitation only occurs during moderate acceleration or when maintaining a speed within the aforementioned rmp ranges
so, i think either its a software issue given that shifts btwn gears are butter smoother otherwise, or possibly 4th and 5th gears are beginning to go bad and are slipping in/out of gear. the issue has gone from occasional to now a daily constant problem whenever in the aforementioned gears & rpm ranges.

im looking to take my car to the dealer within the next week for a full diagnostic...
Thanks for the summary, and I agree with you in that it only occurs when moderately pushing the gas pedal, when I push hard it does not happen.
Another thing, what if it's an issue with the drive by wire system especially when the gas pedal is slightly pushed?

Have you tried the transmission rest trick by hitting the gas pedal for 30 seconds while the engine is off and the key is in 2nd position?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

Looks like a ton of people are having the same issues and it's the Mechatronics unit. Apparently the new unit fixes a flaw that plagued the old mecha unit. Unfortunately the cost in $3500 minimum + coding.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...401524&page=15

My next car will be a 6 speed manual!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Looks like a ton of people are having the same issues and it's the Mechatronics unit. Apparently the new unit fixes a flaw that plagued the old mecha unit. Unfortunately the cost in $3500 minimum + coding.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...401524&page=15

My next car will be a 6 speed manual!!!!!!!
Update: Called my mechanic, he said they have a 745i doing the exact same thing, he named a few things that could be the issue...

1-Mechatronics
2-Valve body, which in this case means a transmission rebuild.
3-Oil pan leak
4-Torque converter.

Either way he said it will end up costing me anywhere between $4K and $6K for repairs.

Anyone want to buy a 2004 545i cheap? LOL
Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

to be honest....if the problem remains like this ill keep driving it as long as it doesnt get worse....

i cant imagine dumping 6k into a car thats only worth like 17 to 18k right now :/
Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

to be honest....if the problem remains like this ill keep driving it as long as it doesnt get worse....

i cant imagine dumping 6k into a car thats only worth like 17 to 18k right now :/
I'm going to take it in, just to get it diagnosed by the mechanic, and see what they have to say.

if it is a costly repair, I will do the same, just drive it as is for as long as I can tolerate it.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

I'm at my dealership now dropping her off. But before I go they are going to take a quick look. Wish me luck....my heart is pounding! I really hope it isn't anything major. Transmission issues can be the death of a car :/
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

I'm at my dealership now dropping her off. But before I go they are going to take a quick look. Wish me luck....my heart is pounding! I really hope it isn't anything major. Transmission issues can be the death of a car :/
Likewise I have the car into my local BMW mechanic, we'll see what's going on by end of day.

Good luck buddy!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Likewise I have the car into my local BMW mechanic, we'll see what's going on by end of day.

Good luck buddy!
So the mechanic said that there is a tiny leak around the oil pan of the transmission, so I asked him to put a new pan and top up the oil, to see if that helps.
Also there was a coolant leak where I would have to top off the car every month with a bit of coolant, apparently it's a switch at the bottom of the radiator so he's fixing that too.

I am getting it coded to enable only the angel eyes as day light running headlights, along with an oil change and break fluid change.

Phew!

He's also going to do a smoke test to see if there is a vacuum leak somewhere which is causing the engine idle rough.

Picking up the car later this after noon. The name of the place is Bimmersport, they are really good!

http://www.bimmersport.ca/

Quick Reply: Can hesitation between 24 m and 40mph