E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Burning mp3 to Dual Layer DVD - DVD-DL

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M Sport, Alpine White, 2006, Australian
Model Year: 2005

Latest update:

Verbatum DVD-R DL using Nero9 on Vista did not work.

Just tried Ritek DVD+R DL using Nero7 on XP. The car is able to read the first layer of the DVD only.

Nero7 does not work on Vista. Will try Nero9 on XP.

Can anyone confirm the DL DVDs can be read by the in-dash player?

Cheers

virgil.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Members

Ah .... further update. I have Business Nav, not Pro. Can anyone confirm whether Business Nav has DL DVD drive?

Thanks in advance

virgil
Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Members

Final update.

I don't believe it is possible to get DL to work with MP3. I've now burned 11 discs in total. +R and -R from three different manufacturers, on two different PCs. The best I can get is for the car to see around 70% of the music on the DVD DL, and play around 80% of what it can see. Ie: the play list is incomplete, showing only 70% of what is on the disc, and around 20% of the play list is unplayable.

I've been burning the DVDs at 1x speed, with the PC dedicated to the task. The discs play back fine on my PC and home stereo. Just not in the car.

On a happier note, single layer DVDs seem to play fine. I use DVD -R, Ritek brand. I burn using Nero9 at 2x speed and don't drop a single track. The entire play list appears on iDrive.

Cheers

v.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 M5 - Interlagos Blue / SMG / Black Perforated Merino / Fully Loaded!!

Keep in mind that I have Pro Nav.. I'm not sure if this works the same with business Nav..

The following settings are from a post made by "Lomag" way back in March of 2006... He wrote them for Nero 6 but I was able to use these settings with Nero 7 (using Windows XP Pro) to make several MP3 DL-DVD's:
{begin quote}
Normal Data CD-ROM (ISO) **EDIT BY SMOKESCREEN-38 - [INSTEAD OF CD-ROM SELECT "DVD-ROM (ISO)"]
No Multisession
Data Mode 1
File System ISO 9660:1999 (this is a KEY setting)
File Name Length Max 207 chars (will automaticly set when you select the file system above)
Burn Speed 8x -- don't burn your CD's at max speed because there's more room for error **EDIT BY SMOKESCREEN-38 - [BURN YOUR DVD'S AT THE SLOWEST SPEED ALLOWED]

Disc-at-Once write method
Make sure to check off "Finalize disc" before burning
{end quote}

Using Memorex DL DVD+R discs I was able to make several DL-DVD's... I have a tremendous music library so at the time it was the best solution for me... Keep in mind though that for me at least it was never perfect.. some DVD's read very well most of the times but for some reason some of them would have problems playing certain tracks from time to time... I tried making new copies but would eventually end up with the same problem... that's why I finally upgraded to a Gateway 500.

Here is the link to the original post by Lomag:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...amp;hl=burn+mp3

Hope this helps..
Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats
Thumbs down

V:

I must have toasted and coastered at least 30 DL DVDs before I gave up. The results were inconsistent, despite different brands, different burning software and different settings. I asked my SA and he looked at me like I was crazy wanting to burn DL DVDs for MP3s in the car.

One of my friends at the dealership actually found out this answer for me. He's a Master Tech and has actually tried this himself. The 2009 model year vehicles have different laser pickups that do better with DL DVDs. He says "do better" implying that there is still not 100% predictability. He tried his discs on the new 7er and they worked flawlessly.

The solution:
1. Buy a new 7 series OR
2. Stick to single layer DVD-Rs.

Hope this helps - sorry for the late post; have been offline a while...

S
Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 M5 - Interlagos Blue / SMG / Black Perforated Merino / Fully Loaded!!

Seriously though.. if it's compatible with your car and if it's in your budget, the Gateway 500 works like a charm! It takes a bit to get it set up and going but once it's up and running there's no looking back!