E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Break in Period

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 04:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told just drive it, and not to worry. I couldn't believe it, but he said its meant to be driven and the car will adapt to your driving style from this.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

I spoke with one of the tech's at the BMW pickup center in Munich, and he said:

- avoid putting heavy loads on the engine (full throttle, lugging)
- vary the rpm - this is probably the most important thing
- keep it under 4500
- for the first couple hundred miles, the brakes and tires are breaking in - don't push it too hard.
- after that, you can go as fast as 4500 rmp will take you!

I took it up to 150 (4800 or so, I wasn't concentrating on the tach) after 500 miles on a long downhill, about 3/4 throttle - it still had plenty left!
Old 06-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

i was a really good boy during the break in period, watched the tach very closely and that helped. i would say varying engine rev under 4500 rpm is the one most important rule of the thumb. i find myself shift excessively (playing around) and getting comfortable with the gears.
i have not noticed too much on fuel economy after break in, didn't track it to begin with, but a car fanatic buddy of mine was very impressed as he plays around my e60.
i also played with all the controls, options, knobs and buttons, that took some concentration off drive, drive, drive. just be amazed by those easter eggs you discover as you get acquainted with the car.
i stop in the middle of the street to investigate the different beam patterns between the flash and permanent dual xenon high beams, concentrating to feel how the car embraces each curve of the road, driving like a zombie to see the adptive xenons turn, watching how the wipers move in a rain storm, i also like to look at my side profile when i pass by a window seeing those side LEDs, driving in complete silence to feel the music of the engine and no a/c on hot summer afternoons to breathe the leather etc.
a thing i came to enjoy as i live near the top of a small hill, as i arrive home each night (high beam xenons on & harzard flashers flashing), i love to gun the car on 2nd through a 90 degree elbow and press it @~3500rpm then letting every thing off. my car will go up the hill from the inertia power, pass my house and come to a stop somewhere up the street then rolling back down the slope (in neutral), as the car speeds up (so fast) i gently tap on the brakes to stopping at around my driveway. (thanks to a previous post i will keep an eye on my reverse speed)

my overall break in experience was great, but i did scream out loud while i reached 2000 km on the highway that evening.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:39 AM
JDN
Contributors

RUDY!! I think we have found the perfect candidate, rollee, to check out CC in reverse! With this routine, he really needs it!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Ding ding ding...We have a winner!

How's this for a scenario:

If rollee has ACC, he could set it in reverse. The ACC sensor would see objects in front of the car getting further away so it tries to accelerate to keep the set distance. This sets off a loop in the software that causes the car to keep accelerating -- in reverse!

(I realize this wouldn't really happen so thanks in advance for not correcting my logic!)
Old 06-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Members

Thanks guys,

I only put about 450 (conservative) miles on my car during my ED. After I had about 350 miles on the clock I pushed her to 130 a couple times, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. It should be easy to follow break-in proceedures for another 750 miles driving in the States.

I should have my car before the 3rd of July. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Cheers,
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Senior Members

hi JDN and rudy, FYI i did the thing tonight again and i clocked 38kmph or 23 mph, rolling downhill in reverse on just the weight of the car with 1/2 tank gas and no passenger.
unfortunately i do not have ACC to prove your other experiment. to my knowledge the sensor mechanism (a dark dome type of structure) of ACC is located under the front air dam. if i set a certain distance and the sensor do not register an obstacle in front it should only proceed with the set desired speed of the cruise control, not accelerating to catch any object from the rear. rollee
Old 07-01-2004, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by rollee' date='Jul 1 2004, 12:58 AM
unfortunately i do not have ACC to prove your other experiment. to my knowledge the sensor mechanism (a dark dome type of structure) of ACC is located under the front air dam. if i set a certain distance and the sensor do not register an obstacle in front it should only proceed with the set desired speed of the cruise control, not accelerating to catch any object from the rear.
Which is precisely why I said:
(I realize this wouldn't really happen so thanks in advance for not correcting my logic!)
Just having some more fun....I need to get out more often!
Old 07-01-2004, 04:19 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by SFC_Miller' date='Jun 30 2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys,
(snip)
I should have my car before the 3rd of July. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Cheers,
All right, SFC Miller. You missed your birthday and now you are missing mine, but barely. However, July 3 is a great time of year for the rebirth of a great experience -- a new E60. We will all be sitting on the nest with you for the next couple of days.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:25 AM
JDN
Contributors

rollee said:

"hi JDN and rudy, FYI i did the thing tonight again and i clocked 38kmph or 23 mph, rolling downhill in reverse on just the weight of the car with 1/2 tank gas and no passenger.'

rollee, you are some kind of champion. I do believe that the "no passenger" is a wise choice. My wife mate would be climbing out the window if I tried such a trick. Thanks for checking out that speedo for us. Lessee, now with no passenger, reversing at 38kmph and verifying, you had one eye in each direction, right? Just kidding like our friend Rudy. Thanks for sharing.