E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brakes squeal when coming to slow stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Apr 6 2005, 02:27 PM
Mine don't really squeal but they make a sort of GROINK noise just as the wheels stop or start turning (mainly just as the calipers are released).? I notice it especially when it's raining.? Is this different that what others are experiencing?? It is loud enough to be irritating to me at times.? Will this be fixed by the brake drying system on newer cars?? Speaking of which, I wonder if the brake drying will cause even worse dust build-up.
[snapback]112042[/snapback]
All BMWs make this annoying noise. It's just how it is. This is my first beemer and you get used to it, but it makes you wonder why BMW can't make GROAN and SQUEAK free brakes. It seems pretty elementary to me. No other car i've owned (ones that cost 3 times less) have ever made the noises this one makes....

I'll have to mention the 'brake sensor' thing to my dealer next time i'm in. We'll see...I think it's just plain ridiculous and not to mention embarassing, these brake squeaks.......... "Ha, ha, look at him in his 55K car, with those crappy brakes!!"
Old 04-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

My brakes have squealed since about 9000 miles. I currently have over 42,000 miles and they recently stopped squealing. I have been to the dealership many times and they were never able to fix it! I even developed a technique where I would jam on the brakes to help reduce the squealing! I got so used to it, the squealing didn't even bother me anymore! Dealer finally replaced my rear brakes at 37,000 miles and no squealing. The dealership replaced my brakes beacuse I needed new brakes, not because of the squealing! I've heard every excuse from "can't duplicate squealing" to "squealing brakes not covered under warranty". One time the dealership filed down my brake sensor and that helped for about a month. Just recently Idrive is telling me I need new brakes again! I go in for service next week.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Apr 6 2005, 02:51 PM
[quote name='DXXXi' date='Apr 6 2005, 02:27 PM']Mine don't really squeal but they make a sort of GROINK noise just as the wheels stop or start turning (mainly just as the calipers are released).? I notice it especially when it's raining.? Is this different that what others are experiencing?? It is loud enough to be irritating to me at times.? Will this be fixed by the brake drying system on newer cars?? Speaking of which, I wonder if the brake drying will cause even worse dust build-up.
[snapback]112042[/snapback]
All BMWs make this annoying noise. It's just how it is. This is my first beemer and you get used to it, but it makes you wonder why BMW can't make GROAN and SQUEAK free brakes. It seems pretty elementary to me. No other car i've owned (ones that cost 3 times less) have ever made the noises this one makes....

I'll have to mention the 'brake sensor' thing to my dealer next time i'm in. We'll see...I think it's just plain ridiculous and not to mention embarassing, these brake squeaks.......... "Ha, ha, look at him in his 55K car, with those crappy brakes!!"
[snapback]112061[/snapback]
[/quote]
You know, that's EXACTLY how I feel when I see people smirking at the brake noise on the BIG BAD BIMMER.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I have that same problem with my wifes Volvo. Have not experienced it with 545i. It seems that the higher preformance cars and especially some of the European cars are more susceptable to this. I have been told not to change from factory pads to prevent this when I inquired about less dusting pads.

However, I have heard good reports about Axxis Deluxe pads that they are quite and don't dust up. I am waiting for them to become available for the 545i - Hate the dust.

Alot of times the noise is from the pad chattering which is sometimes caused by dirt in between the caliper and the pad. With the way these cars dust up, I wonder if it is a dirt problem. It might be worth inquiring at a shop that specializes in brakes.

There is also a 'bedding in" process for high performance pads, which may be worth trying. Sometimes on high performance break pads, you need to be on them some to keep them from making noise. Check-out:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Let us know if this bedding in process fixes it.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:51 PM

Well i just got my car back from service. No more Noise! Finally i also had the aux. input installed. This thing is great! Cost me 195 installed at Crevier bmw.

Customer states noise when braking
noisy brake pads sensors
found noise coming from brake pad sensors. replaced both sensors to correct

34-35-6-768-595 Temp. sensor
34-35-6-768-596 Wear. sensor
Old 04-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Members

Sorry forgot to log in
Old 04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Apr 6 2005, 09:56 AM
My brakes squeal when coming to a slow stop.? People constantly comment on my ?squeaky? brakes when I pull into their driveways, etc.? When I?m dropping my wife off, people look at the car ? not because they?re checking it out, but because they hear a loud annoying noise from a nice car.? Real annoying.

Just got back from service and they tell me that brake squeaks are not covered under warranty since the pads and rotors are ?within spec?.? They said they could take them apart and clean and lubricate them and charge me.? This doesn?t sound right.

Am I just SOL??

Thanks.
[snapback]111938[/snapback]
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.