E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brakes squeal when coming to slow stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brakes squeal when coming to a slow stop. People constantly comment on my ?squeaky? brakes when I pull into their driveways, etc. When I?m dropping my wife off, people look at the car ? not because they?re checking it out, but because they hear a loud annoying noise from a nice car. Real annoying.

Just got back from service and they tell me that brake squeaks are not covered under warranty since the pads and rotors are ?within spec?. They said they could take them apart and clean and lubricate them and charge me. This doesn?t sound right.

Am I just SOL?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Not right!!! A car with this pricetag shouldn't have squeeling brakes.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Members

I have the same problem. my car was in service last week for the same issue and some others. I got a call saying my car was ready and that no problem was to be found with brakes. I immediately showed them what noise it was making. His reply was that the noise coming from the brakes was common on all the the 5's. I simply told him that it doesn't make the problem right and I will bring the car back the following week to get the problem fixed. Today's the day I will let you know what happens.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Apr 6 2005, 09:56 AM
My brakes squeal when coming to a slow stop.? People constantly comment on my ?squeaky? brakes when I pull into their driveways, etc.? When I?m dropping my wife off, people look at the car ? not because they?re checking it out, but because they hear a loud annoying noise from a nice car.? Real annoying.

Just got back from service and they tell me that brake squeaks are not covered under warranty since the pads and rotors are ?within spec?.? They said they could take them apart and clean and lubricate them and charge me.? This doesn?t sound right.

Am I just SOL??

Thanks.
[snapback]111938[/snapback]
My last 5's brakes made a noise as you describe, however it wasn't the pads/discs squeeling its was the system itself making a sort of hissing noise. I only noticed it when I had the window down and did nothing about it.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Members

My Ride: OLD RIDE- 2004 Titanium Silver Metallic 545I, Sports Package, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Premium Sound, Cold Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats. NEW RIDE- 2005 Silver Gray Metallic 545I, Sports package, 6 Speed manual Transmission, Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats and Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Apr 6 2005, 10:56 AM
My brakes squeal when coming to a slow stop.? People constantly comment on my ?squeaky? brakes when I pull into their driveways, etc.? When I?m dropping my wife off, people look at the car ? not because they?re checking it out, but because they hear a loud annoying noise from a nice car.? Real annoying.

Just got back from service and they tell me that brake squeaks are not covered under warranty since the pads and rotors are ?within spec?.? They said they could take them apart and clean and lubricate them and charge me.? This doesn?t sound right.

Am I just SOL??

Thanks.
[snapback]111938[/snapback]
Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news but I think they are right (first time I've said this since purchasing my E60). "Brake squealing" is usually caused by a vibrating brake pad and assuming the pads and rotors are in good shape it can be eliminated by sanding of the rotor and the pad (if you dealer wants to!) or by using a product that will possibly eliminate the noise. Try the following link:
http://www.zep.com
Old 04-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Members

I have a similar problem and told my dealer about it the last time my car went in. He said they have changed the brake sensor but when I was driving the other day noticed that the squek was still there!!

Will let you all know when it goes in next what they do.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2005, 10:27 AM

brakes arnt covered under warranty.

but are covered under full maintainence! tell your dealer that.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

My brakes have sweaked and squealed from day one. From a fast stop. From a slow stop. From any stop. And I mean these are loud and embarassing make you wanna hide squeaks! In fact, the day they don't squeal or sweak is the day I'll be concerned. This is the first car since my 1957 Plymouth I had in High School that has made brake noises as bad.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fwilsher' date='Apr 6 2005, 10:31 AM
I have a similar problem and told my dealer about it the last time my car went in. He said they have changed the brake sensor but when I was driving the other day noticed that the squek was still there!!

Will let you all know when it goes in next what they do.

Cheers
[snapback]111970[/snapback]
I had the same problem from my front brakes. I thought i needed to get the brakes changed only after 30,000 miles. But when i took it in, the dealer mentioned that the brakes are perfectly fine. The problem was in the brake sensor. It was rubbing against the metal so they ended up filing it down. Its been 3 weeks and i have not noticed anymore squeaks from the brakes. Hope this helps
Old 04-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Mine don't really squeal but they make a sort of GROINK noise just as the wheels stop or start turning (mainly just as the calipers are released). I notice it especially when it's raining. Is this different that what others are experiencing? It is loud enough to be irritating to me at times. Will this be fixed by the brake drying system on newer cars? Speaking of which, I wonder if the brake drying will cause even worse dust build-up.

Quick Reply: Brakes squeal when coming to slow stop