E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes slightly moaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

A mechanic friend of mine just installed R1 Concept drilled\slotted rotors and hawk pads in my car. Everything brand new. The install went well and my friend didn't have a problem with it. Right after the install, we started the bedding process. Going up to 40mph, then slowing down to 10mph (no stopping) and then speeding up again. We did the cycle at least 4 times and even went up to 65 then slowing down again a couple of times to do more bedding. Throughout those times, I noticed that there is a slight moan when the car slows to about 20mph or 15mph. I don't know if I'm braking too hard, but to me it's my normal braking when coming to a stop at an intersection. It seems I have to brake earlier and softer to avoid the moan. No vibration on the steering wheel.

Is this normal? I've never had drilled\slotted rotors before so I'm just wondering if it's the brake pads just getting used to the rotors. Will it go away over time?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Driving it over time should stop the issue although I'm not quite sure what you mean. Give it about 100 miles and so and let me know?

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Basically it moans when coming to a stop. I don't THINK I'm braking too hard but I find that if I brake earlier and softer, there's no moaning. I'll drive around awhile and let you know. Right now I just put in less than 50 miles on the setup. I'll be gentle on braking to see if the moaning eventually subsides.

BTW, the rotors are install so that the slots (top of rotor) are leaning towards and pointing to the back of the car.

Driver side view: frontofcar //// backofcar
Passenger side view: backofcar \\\\ frontofcar
Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Slotted (and drilled) rotors will be considerably noisier than stock.
I got plain slotted because I didn't want the noise of a drilled set. The slotted are quieter, but still noisy compared to stock. You'll have to live with it, I'm afraid - the penalty for having "better" brakes.

Mike
Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

They are supposed to go the other way around. The idea is that the slots remove excess dust from the pads
Slotted rotors DO sound different, more like a zipper being pulled down quickly than moaning though. This is because of the air gap created by the slots, they are supposed to sound like that.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
They are supposed to go the other way around. The idea is that the slots remove excess dust from the pads
Slotted rotors DO sound different, more like a zipper being pulled down quickly than moaning though. This is because of the air gap created by the slots, they are supposed to sound like that.

Really, it's backwards? I copied the 8th and 9th picture on this DIY thread:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/830...-the-calipers/

Here's a picture of the front passenger side:

Brakes slightly moaning-rotor.jpg
Old 08-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

that picture is correct. i actually don't believe you can install them incorrectly ie it's not physically possible to swap the rotors.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

That's how mine were install too. No issues.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Either way, slotted sound different from OEM, slotted and drilled sound different from slotted, it is kind of the way it is. You get performance products they are made for performance, not noise reduction. Have to balance what you want out of them. Also, if you are having to brake earlier then you are definitely doing something wrong, I have OEM rotors and Hawk pads, and I rarely start to brake before the start of the left turn lane. Try bedding them in again ( 12-14 runs of 60-10-60-10 ) see if that helps. I did this procedure with my brakes and they work flawlessly.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

You CAN get them the wrong way round.
I have EBC rotors, and I ummed and ahh'd about which way to fit them, and I'd just done one side when I saw that they were marked with a directional arrow. Yes, I'd got it on wrong! Still, it's a good thing that I noticed!

Mike

Quick Reply: Brakes slightly moaning