E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Squeal and dealer grief

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has the problem with the brake squeal so I booked it into my local dealer (not the dealer I bought it from because they are over an hours drive away).

The dealer looked at the issue, acknowledged it was a problem but declined to do anything about it as the brakes are more than 50% worn, then they decided to bill me ?100 for their time looking at it. Anyone know if this is the case? All the information on SIB's I can find do not include this.

Car is less than 3 years old but I recently bought it so it came with the usual AUC warranty so I'm confused, is this something to do with that? If you buy an AUC does the 3 year manufacturer warranty suddenly not count? Does the level of service with an AUC warranty take a huge nose dive?

I just don't expect to be charged for a problem with the car which is acknowledged as a fault with the car just because my brake pads are >50% worn.

Any ideas on where I stand from a legal viewpoint on refusing to pay?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Skip' post='501500' date='Dec 1 2007, 01:23 PM
My car has the problem with the brake squeal so I booked it into my local dealer (not the dealer I bought it from because they are over an hours drive away).

The dealer looked at the issue, acknowledged it was a problem but declined to do anything about it as the brakes are more than 50% worn, then they decided to bill me ?100 for their time looking at it. Anyone know if this is the case? All the information on SIB's I can find do not include this.

Car is less than 3 years old but I recently bought it so it came with the usual AUC warranty so I'm confused, is this something to do with that? If you buy an AUC does the 3 year manufacturer warranty suddenly not count? Does the level of service with an AUC warranty take a huge nose dive?

I just don't expect to be charged for a problem with the car which is acknowledged as a fault with the car just because my brake pads are >50% worn.

Thanks
yes iv had this prob with my car since i got it... theres a puma report for it... they fixed it but the prob never went away... it still squeks a liitle bit... in the summer its bad...
Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Contributors

I recently went to my dealer and complained that my brakes were squealing and they replaced my Pads, Rotors and sensors.

I remember there being several Forum members that had this problem resolved without any problems but i don't know how it is in the UK, Do you guys have the maintenance plan included when you purchase the car?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 5er Sport' post='501513' date='Dec 1 2007, 07:01 PM
I recently went to my dealer and complained that my brakes were squealing and they replaced my Pads, Rotors and sensors.

I remember there being several Forum members that had this problem resolved without any problems but i don't know how it is in the UK, Do you guys have the maintenance plan included when you purchase the car?
I had this done myself on my previous car free of charge and covered under warranty, I just don't understand why my new car of a similar age and mileage is treated differently by the same dealer????
Old 12-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

I had the same problem. It sounded like a scraping, very high frequency squeal. The dealer opted to replace the pads and sensors (not rotors), and the squealing is now gone, but it is replaced by a "whistling" sound that comes and goes. It literally sounds like someone whistling a G note, and it only occurs when feathering the brakes. My SA said it "should go away within a month". It has gotten better over the last 3 weeks, but has not gone yet.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Members

My Ride: Fully Loaded Monaco Blue 550i Sport

I went to the dealer 3-4 times for brake squeel and all they did was change pads and senors and chamfered the pads a few times.... didn't fix anything.
The squeel did go away though but i believe it is because of the cold weather... once it gets warms i'll hear it again
Old 12-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Somewhere else on this board I believe that it was determined that the brake caliper spring clip was at fault and needed replacement. You might want to look into it. If you want to do it yourself, it is a relatively easy job.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Skip' post='501500' date='Dec 1 2007, 06:23 PM

Had exactly the same problem with mine, well over 50% worn. Dealer said BMW are aware of the issue (sensors) and replaced all the pads and sensors.

However, I have fully inclusive servicing...

?100 is a bit stiff for 'looking' though!?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I also took my e60 in for brake squeal and they fixed by replacing the pads.....so I thought, The told me no problem.... it is fixed......LOL. As I was leaving to exit the dealership and hit the brakes guess what I heard.......you got it.....Brake squeal. So I said to myself.......I'll just play the radio a little louder. Think of how many times you took your car in for a problem and left thinking it has been resolved, only to find out its still happening whatever the problem is.....I think its about a 50-50 record on what is resolved and what is not.......Who was thunk it.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

My dealer fixed my problem. Complete change of the brakes and the car has been completely silent since.