E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bodywork Repair Question??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Damn & Blast, only had the car 10 days & a big ass stone thrown up from the motorway yesterday has struck the front part of my bonnet

The section in question is where the flatter edge of the bonnet starts curving down to the front grille. The impact site is not huge, but the object was big/heavy enough to not only chip the paint but also leave an impact dent about 8mm in diameter.

As my car is in the dealers next week, i've asked them to get their on-site chip/touch up guys to take a look & they'll also get someone from their bodyshop to also take a look, however my question is how easy would/should this repair be?? They will be repairing a scratch on the top edge of the rear bumper, so matching up the paint will be fine.

I know it sounds daft, but tapping the bonnet, i'm not getting a true metal sound, so what exactly it the bonnet made of?? Sounds more composite/plaxtic to me. The chip is quite deep & will not polish out & the dent will need removing, but does this sound like a full on bodyshop repair or do you thing the Dent Devil/Chipsaway type outfits would be able to resolve??

Cheers in advance.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:19 AM
Senior Members

Maybe this will help:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...794&hl=make-up

For the colour code search the forum.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='238315' date='Feb 11 2006, 05:19 AM
Maybe this will help:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...794&hl=make-up

For the colour code search the forum.
Cheers, but i think they're OK with the colour as their repairing a scratch on the rear bumper that they should have removed prior to me collecting the car, so they'll have the exact paint. My question related more to repairing the stone chip along with its small dent on the bonnet?? Given the bonnet is a composite, how can a small dent be removed easily??
Old 02-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

The bonnet (...or hood on this side of the pond! ) is aluminum, which is why it sounds strange to you.

The dent removal companies can work some miracles. Without seeing the damage, I'd say it's worth it to see if they can flatten out the dent, and color sand & polish the paint damage.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup its all aluminum and most of the frame work in the front also!!! So dont try kissing the front cars boot.. it'll be bad...
Old 02-12-2006, 04:25 AM
Senior Members

Can anyone assist me in confirming if this kind of repair is easy/hard??

To expand on the damage slightly, the dent is not actually bigger than the impact site, so basically a sharpish stone/object has flown up & hit the front of the bonnet causing a chip about 2mm deap & about the same diameter, but as it was a pointed object this has also caused a kind of dent where it's struck.

The damage is not all that bad but of course looks bad to me & i want it fixed.

Any advice would be useful. the dealer will be getting their small bodywork repair person to look at it when the car's in next week, along with someone from their bodyshock, but i'm hoping this can be a small fix/touch-up rather than a bigger bodyshop repair.

Cheers.