E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW warranty not cover battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by unknown' post='923713' date='Jun 25 2009, 03:07 PM
i go to prestige as well, plus another member and we're happy with them.
thanks guys, i will never go to BMW of Manhattan again, my first time and my last time
i will try BMW of Bayside next, because it is in new york closer
if it doenst work out, i will try bloomfield next since it is closer to me
then prestige
then i just put 500 miles on it, but still not 7500 yet, damn
Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

To take the position that the battery shouldn't be replaced under warranty because you drive too few miles is as intellectually corrupt as arguing that they are not obligated to honor the free maintenance program for oil changes or other routine maintenance for customers who drive too many miles. This program is all about averaging and amortizing costs over thousands of customers. Some drive less and need less, some drive more and need more. I'm unaware of any obligation on you as a consumer to drive a minimum or a maximum number of miles to get what you paid for when you purchased the car. And that free maintenance program is far from free. It's built right in to the purchase price of your car.

For what it's worth, I had a battery fail on my 545 when the car was probably at 5000 miles. It was replaced under warranty, no questions asked.

I do think, however, that this speaks to the marketing BS and sleight of hand that accompanies the free maintenance program. Quite simply, the program doesn't operate as promoted by BMW - as you are seeing, when BMW tells you maintenance is "free", and when they advertise (as they do) a $0 cost of maintenance, they're being more than a little economical with the truth...

In my judgment, you are entitled to a free battery. BMW and the dealer need to honor promises made to customers. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='923738' date='Jun 25 2009, 03:23 PM
To take the position that the battery shouldn't be replaced under warranty because you drive too few miles is as intellectually corrupt as arguing that they are not obligated to honor the free maintenance program for oil changes or other routine maintenance for customers who drive too many miles. This program is all about averaging and amortizing costs over thousands of customers. Some drive less and need less, some drive more and need more. I'm unaware of any obligation on you as a consumer to drive a minimum or a maximum number of miles to get what you paid for when you purchased the car. And that free maintenance program is far from free. It's built right in to the purchase price of your car.

For what it's worth, I had a battery fail on my 545 when the car was probably at 5000 miles. It was replaced under warranty, no questions asked.

I do think, however, that this speaks to the marketing BS and sleight of hand that accompanies the free maintenance program. Quite simply, the program doesn't operate as promoted by BMW - as you are seeing, when BMW tells you maintenance is "free", and when they advertise (as they do) a $0 cost of maintenance, they're being more than a little economical with the truth...

In my judgment, you are entitled to a free battery. BMW and the dealer need to honor promises made to customers. Good luck.
thank you, can any body show me the link or ad for BMW "$0 cost of maintenance"? if i need to pay $500 for batter then i think this is false advertisement, against the law
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by 08white' post='923748' date='Jun 25 2009, 12:30 PM
thank you, can any body show me the link or ad for BMW "$0 cost of maintenance"? if i need to pay $500 for batter then i think this is false advertisement, against the law
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/own...valedvalue.aspx

Once the flash component finishes, it unequivocally states "no cost maintenance".

Also here:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Own...ce/Default.aspx
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

i found this on bmwusa.com
*Based on $0 cost for the BMW Maintenance Program. Certain limitations and exclusions apply to this program; please refer to your Service and Warranty Information booklet for coverage, terms, and conditions

so i have to look for the information booklet, and see if they mention 7500 miles/year in order to cover battery
too bad, i am at work now, but i will check tonight
Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 08white' post='923758' date='Jun 25 2009, 12:34 PM
i found this on bmwusa.com
*Based on $0 cost for the BMW Maintenance Program. Certain limitations and exclusions apply to this program; please refer to your Service and Warranty Information booklet for coverage, terms, and conditions

so i have to look for the information booklet, and see if they mention 7500 miles/year in order to cover battery
too bad, i am at work now, but i will check tonight
Others are far more qualified than me to chime in here, but material conditions or exclusions that aren't made part of the contract or patently aren't reasonable may be difficult to enforce. Otherwise, a less than scrupulous vendor could bury all kinds of unreasonable conditions and obligations in fine print that you're neither able to read nor required to read until you've actually signed on the dotted line when you purchased the car.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

ok, i called BMW of Bayside in new york, they took my info and said will have someone call me back, well, i am almost getting off now, no one call

i think all BMW dealers in New York are the same

i called BMW of Bloomfield, tried to schedule saturday appointment, so i dont need to take a day off and drive from ny to nj, coming sat they are full, next sat is july 4th, so i made appointment for july 11, hope they are worth to wait

getting frustrated with BMW, compare to the first day i got my BMW, just like falling from sky to hell
Old 06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

i am thinking, i still can drive my car, just need to jump start everyday or park the car for long hours, maybe i drive the car over 7500 miles, then get BMW replace the battery, haha, but 3700 to 7500 miles, need some times
Old 06-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

hey raymond, u just got ur car. how can u put 7500 miles on???? Geez ur still on dealer plates my god. If u want, I can bring it to bloomfield for you. I'm not working remember? Or bloomfield can give u a loaner. Call bloomfield and see if they will warranty ur battery first before heading out there tho. Start complaining to BMW NA.

Does this mean if I buy a brand freakin new BMW with 5 miles and I drive it 100 miles and the battery takes a shit on me, warranty would NOT replace it until I have 7500 miles???

U have 3000 miles and u JUST got the car. You are WELL over 7500 miles for the year. Tell the dumb arses over at BMW of Manhattan to take some math classes and go ahead and warranty it.

Wanna know something funny? My girlfriend's Scion xA has a crazy squeeling serpentine belt at 20K miles. Bought the car brand new. Brought to dealers and they said we can fix it for $250. I was furious. I drove there immediately and found the service manager and told him to explain. He said they cant replace wear and tear items. I told him that I used to have a Lexus and the serpentine belt was making noise at 30K miles. Replaced under warranty. Then he said they're not Lexus. I told him, well, Scion, Toyota, Lexus, all the same company. Warranty is warranty. Wtf is a bumper to bumper warranty? It warranties ur car if anything happens from manufacturer's defect. Then I said I have a BMW and they even replaced wipers when they go bad but I understand u guys are not BMW and u can never BE BMW. Then I asked him if he bought a new car then drove 20K miles and serpentine belt goes bad, how about I charge him $250 to replace it since it's a wear and tear item or do you think that serpentine belt is manufacturer's defect. He immediately shut up and replaced it under warranty.

Raymond, u have to tell them who's boss. This basically means that, do not buy a BMW if u tend to drive under 7500 miles.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='924421' date='Jun 26 2009, 03:20 AM
hey raymond, u just got ur car. how can u put 7500 miles on???? Geez ur still on dealer plates my god. If u want, I can bring it to bloomfield for you. I'm not working remember? Or bloomfield can give u a loaner. Call bloomfield and see if they will warranty ur battery first before heading out there tho. Start complaining to BMW NA.

Does this mean if I buy a brand freakin new BMW with 5 miles and I drive it 100 miles and the battery takes a shit on me, warranty would NOT replace it until I have 7500 miles???

U have 3000 miles and u JUST got the car. You are WELL over 7500 miles for the year. Tell the dumb arses over at BMW of Manhattan to take some math classes and go ahead and warranty it.

Wanna know something funny? My girlfriend's Scion xA has a crazy squeeling serpentine belt at 20K miles. Bought the car brand new. Brought to dealers and they said we can fix it for $250. I was furious. I drove there immediately and found the service manager and told him to explain. He said they cant replace wear and tear items. I told him that I used to have a Lexus and the serpentine belt was making noise at 30K miles. Replaced under warranty. Then he said they're not Lexus. I told him, well, Scion, Toyota, Lexus, all the same company. Warranty is warranty. Wtf is a bumper to bumper warranty? It warranties ur car if anything happens from manufacturer's defect. Then I said I have a BMW and they even replaced wipers when they go bad but I understand u guys are not BMW and u can never BE BMW. Then I asked him if he bought a new car then drove 20K miles and serpentine belt goes bad, how about I charge him $250 to replace it since it's a wear and tear item or do you think that serpentine belt is manufacturer's defect. He immediately shut up and replaced it under warranty.

Raymond, u have to tell them who's boss. This basically means that, do not buy a BMW if u tend to drive under 7500 miles.
anothing thing, BMW of Manhattan told me if they found out the battery problem and i dont want to replace, they charge $150 fee, i remember my Audi, i just took it to dealer and told them i got error message before, but it went away, they checked the car for free and hand washed

any lawyer on this board? if BMW charge me $150 fee to check, can it be against its ad for "0$ of maintenance"

Quick Reply: BMW warranty not cover battery