E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Recall Letter

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor
I called BMW N.A. yesterday, and the person I spoke with said that the letters are being mailed out in batches starting this week. She could not confirm for me when I would be receiving my letter, though she did state that we need to have letters in hand in order for the recall repairs to be completed at no charge to us.

As an aside, the requirement to have a letter in hand makes no sense to me, considering that the recall is being done on a VIN basis, and dealer service centers obviously can look up your VIN to check whether your vehicle is subject to the recall or not.
Dumbest shit I ever heard....so if you don't get a letter you can't have the recall repair done? Love how a company can make a public announcement say ing that they sending out letters then just not send the letters....who's gonna check on them?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uwsc11
What exactly is the recall about?
I take it from the posts that it has to do with the brake system. Does anybody have a copy of the letter that they can post?

I've had a firm brake paddle for over a year. I complained to my BMW Service rep. about it last Dec.
They said they checked it out and everything was normal.
Found this one online:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...brake-problem/
Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

I havent got my letter yet, but i had the problem. Called up the service manager they looked at it, determined it was unsafe to drive and fixed it for me free of charge. Will still have to go back to get the new updated parts but its fixed for the mean time. I am way out of warranty, my dealer called up BMW and got it all taken care of.

BTW they changed my brake fluid, booster, vacuum pump, and a bunch of other parts. Mostly everything but the master
Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
Dumbest shit I ever heard....so if you don't get a letter you can't have the recall repair done? Love how a company can make a public announcement say ing that they sending out letters then just not send the letters....who's gonna check on them?
Agreed. The BMW N.A. operator I spoke to said that if you experienced problems with your braking system, you should bring your car in, but you'd have to pay for the repairs out of pocket. The letter they are sending to us supposedly contains information on how to get a rebate from BMW N.A. for your out-of-pocket expenses. Sounds like a way for BMW to avoid having to reimburse those people who somehow forget to file for the reimbursement -- why pay 100% upfront when they can pay maybe 80% on the back end?

That said, the experience of the poster above suggests that you might be able to convince your dealer to perform the repairs.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

No letter yet!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by e60oholic
I havent got my letter yet, but i had the problem. Called up the service manager they looked at it, determined it was unsafe to drive and fixed it for me free of charge. Will still have to go back to get the new updated parts but its fixed for the mean time. I am way out of warranty, my dealer called up BMW and got it all taken care of.

BTW they changed my brake fluid, booster, vacuum pump, and a bunch of other parts. Mostly everything but the master

I just got this done through BMW as well. It happened as I was patiently waiting for the letter. There I was almost sliding into an intersection coming to a stop at an off ramp. I had to pull the e-brake to stop the car. Needless to say i was livid when I called BMW NA that very second. My case was promptly escalated to one of their relationship manager and I was told that everything will be looked after. I had to leave the car at the dealership for a week to get it done but since they provided me with a loaner, it was quite bearable. They changed everything that had to do with the braking system including the master cylinder on mine. I also received a call from BMW NA confirming my satisfaction after the work was completed. I told them I was ecstatic and am now a very happy owner once again. It was a good feeling driving home in a rumbling V8 ditching that 328i loaner behind.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

Toyota2bmw,
Which dealership did you bring your car to? I have the same problem but have not received the "phantom" letter yet.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Anyone in Europe heard anything yet? I saw on a German website an article about the recall but also haven't heard anything yet.

I printed out the article and planned to visit my stealer and show them, but if y'all in America haven't even had the recall yet then there's no chance they'll have done it here in Germany yet.

You might think it would happen here first, but no. Despite selling more BMWs in Germany than in America, they concentrate on the U.S. first.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by Krav E60
Toyota2bmw,
Which dealership did you bring your car to? I have the same problem but have not received the "phantom" letter yet.

Thanks

Shelly BMW. I must warn you. It's on a case by case basis. This wasn't a recall repair but a "one-time goodwill" repair from BMW NA. You will need to talk to BMW NA first and get a feeler for it. Otherwise, you will be on the hook for diagnostic fee plus whatever else. Good luck!