E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"enter address" voice command lags

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whenever i go into nav via voice commands to enter a new address, i usually do this:

hit the voice button and say "new destination," screen goes from wherever it is to the new destination NAV screen. then i say "enter address." then it goes to the new address screen and just pauses here for about 30 seconds, then returns with "sorry this function is currently unavailable." i do it a 2nd time, same result. third time is always a charm. either that, or it won't do it at all and take on the 1st try. i have tried to figure out why it does this, but to no avail.

anyone ever had this happen?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

does no one have NAV?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Mine really lags when I updated to 2009 version dvd. I just stop using the nav altogether and starting using the one on my phone. Soooo much faster, has traffic updates, and easy to make detours.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
Mine really lags when I updated to 2009 version dvd. I just stop using the nav altogether and starting using the one on my phone. Soooo much faster, has traffic updates, and easy to make detours.
yeah, mine did the same when i used 2010. the 2007 disc didn't seem to have this problem. i was just wondering if the disc was to blame or the idrive has started screwing up.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
yeah, mine did the same when i used 2010. the 2007 disc didn't seem to have this problem. i was just wondering if the disc was to blame or the idrive has started screwing up.

FWIW, I have never said "new destination". I always start with the voice button and then say "enter address", and have never had a problem.

I only use the car navi when I know the specific address I'm going to, and want the car to estimate the time of arrival based upon speed etc., and not waste phone battery.

I use my phone for local info searches, as the navi disc is outdated as soon as it's printed.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I think there is so much info on the newer disc and our iDrives are so slow to begin with, they really tax the capabilities of the system.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ADD
FWIW, I have never said "new destination". I always start with the voice button and then say "enter address", and have never had a problem.

I only use the car navi when I know the specific address I'm going to, and want the car to estimate the time of arrival based upon speed etc., and not waste phone battery.

I use my phone for local info searches, as the navi disc is outdated as soon as it's printed.
which nav disc do you use?

i have tried just saying "enter address" as well, but it locks up on me in either scenario.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:10 PM
ADD
Senior Members

which nav disc do you use?

i have tried just saying "enter address" as well, but it locks up on me in either scenario.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I never tried voice commands to enter NAV info. I just call BMW Assist and tell them to download the directions for wherever I want to go to my car.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Members

My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

It really is sad. The human interface to the nav system is horrible. I'm embarrased to use it with anyone in the car. The voice recognition function is bad as well, which may result in errant functionality of the iDrive as well. I may buy a new car based more on the electronics than the ride next time.

Quick Reply: "enter address" voice command lags