E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Recall on Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
Do you have to wait for the letter and not just go in and request for it? I was at the dealer for other services after this recall we published, but they did not mentioned or do anything to my car regarding this recall.
I just went to the dealer this morning and I found out the following.

YES. You should wait until you have the letter in hand. BMW NA advises that you take your vehicle to the dealer ASAP should you experience the described symptoms but what they don't tell you is that you are subject to a "diagnostic fee" of $160. Without a posted campaign in the dealers service systems, the dealer is entitled to the fee. Now, the customer relations at BMW NA will tell you that you can later file a reimbursement with BMW NA for the fee but what a hassle.

I was told that by the time you receive the letter, the dealer in your region/area WILL have all the VINs that qualify for the recall which will allow your dealer to bill the repairs against. That's it. I was also told by the CR at BMW NA that I should be receiving my letter by tomorrow and no later than the end of the week. There are people in other regions who have already received theirs. So, be just a bit more patient and you will be able to save hundreds of $$$! The vacuum pump runs ~$350 and the brake booster ~$450 and the vacuum lines are another $70-80. Tack on labor on the install, you are getting ~$2000 repair for free. Christmas comes early this year!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by sndohio
if im not an original owner how they going to know my address to send a letter
If you purchased from a BMW dealer, they probably updated your address with BMW NA. At least mine, which was a CPO purchase, was done that way. If not, then you should find the change of address card in your documents pouch (you know, the owner's manual and other stuff) and mail it in. Finally, I guess, you could take your car to an authorized dealer and have them run the VIN and make sure BMW NA has your address on file. Personally, I would not count on BMW searching DMV records...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
If you purchased from a BMW dealer, they probably updated your address with BMW NA. At least mine, which was a CPO purchase, was done that way. If not, then you should find the change of address card in your documents pouch (you know, the owner's manual and other stuff) and mail it in. Finally, I guess, you could take your car to an authorized dealer and have them run the VIN and make sure BMW NA has your address on file. Personally, I would not count on BMW searching DMV records...
I agree. Also, once the dealers are up to speed on the repair (I still think it's too early to expect them to be ready so close to the recall announcement) they should be able to simply look up your VIN and see if your car qualifies for the fix. If it does, they'll fix it and document it in BMW's computer system...