E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

bmw quality...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='263062' date='Mar 31 2006, 12:59 PM
Honestly. I would not buy any BMW 2 years ago. I have too many friends drove the 3-series and 5-series back in the mid 90s, their BMW had many problems all around. Me and my group of Mercedes owner friends had much less problem with our cars.
And see... my experience has different. I've owned many BMWs and had many friends with BMWs and MB's. It always seemed like the MB's (mid-late 90's) were ALWAYs in the shop with the regional rep looking at a mystery problem with the car or it's electronics. And ask any ML owner from the late 90's to early 00's about tar on their front window. And then there's the poor Lexus owner that over paid for their Toyota. Okay that's a little harsh. But they were always oblivious to other issues in their car because they looked at their vehicles as if they were high priced appliances. But they were always happy with them. And many of them wouldn't know the difference between an apex or a yellow sign indicating curvy road ahead. E39's had their share of issues too... as did E34's, E28's and E12's. The first two years always were less reliable than the last 4 years of production. Even CR data can back that up. And that's the case with most any brand car. My wife's Toyota (known for being bullet proof) has had a number of recalls already and it's share of issues.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i Alpine White, Sport Package, 6MT, Auburn interior 2007 Acura TSX, Black on Black, 6MT, OEM Body Kit 2000 Honda CBR929RR, Yellow, Pazzo Racing adjustable brake/clutch levers, Sato rear sets, full Micron Exhaust, double bubble windscreen.

[

yeah, they give you a dodge neon for a loaner. one of the reason i bought a bmw is for safety. then they give you a neon which is like a tin can when you get into an accident.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I am sorry that you are disappointed in the quality of your car. Some just get unlucky with any brand. My car has been excellent/problem-free for 9 months now--except for a "transmitter" failure. Of course, I am not thrilled with the performance-hurting 20.01.00 (on my car). Maybe a future update with fix things.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

i agree with TexaZ3
only wrong thing he said was that MB was a comfortable couch on wheels
i mean c'mon....
MB droped the quality those last years except their ''big'' models right???
or is it only me who sais that?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='263004' date='Mar 31 2006, 07:16 AM
Ok, I felt really strongly after reading this post, so excuse my harshness when you read the following...

First of all, I'm sorry you are having so many problems with your car. Maybe you'll be better of driving a Lexus afterall. Now, I would like to address several other points of the original post and other's replies.

Most of the problems, like window motors, check engine lights, etc are common with all manufacturers, even Lexus, etc (believe me, I owned 3 Lexuses) and that is given no car has sophistication of a BMW. They are pioneers of a car industry, and yes, their stuff breaks, but that's how they pave way for japanese copycats like Lexus. Have you ever heard of any significant technologocal advancement in automotive design, technology, or materials made by Lexus recently? No? Hmmmm.....

Car produces bigger noise when A/C is turned on
- REALLY? Maybe that is because generator gets additional load from running A/C compressor?
Brake noise due to sensor - well, change the freaking sensor - its a warranty repair. Most cars don't even have brake sensors (well, maybe most do now, but anyway), why is this a big deal?
Now, paint peeling is something that might be triggered by the climate, or your skin oils - do you wash your hands often? Do you use skin conditioners? And...cut your fingernails! Never had this problem with any of my BMWs, including my '03 build E60.

Finally, I think most of you folks expect too much really - you expect a $60K car to be perfect and never break donw? WHY? Because YOU paid $60K for it? So what? There are way more expensive cars that break down more often, and cost more to repair, don't even get me started on Ferraris and Lamborghinis! You think Lexus or Acura (insert your favorite brand here) will be better? Sell your BMW and get an Acura. But stop complaining about how bad BMW are, I really sick of listening to this! They are not perfect, no car is, no matter how much you pay, $60K or $600K.

"why should we have to be careful using these cars if they cost more then Lexus but Lexus products can go 10 years without problems?" - are you for real?

"If I had to buy a car I would buy Lexus, thank god I only lease these BMWs" - why don't you lease a Lexus then? You won't have anything to complain about then?

I bought all my BMWs for what they are = a driving machine, not a comfortable couch on wheels like MB, and not an old lady car like Lexus. No car will match BMW value for the price - and you decide what you drive. I apologize if I came through abrasive, but that thread is ridiculous!
Might want to take those blinkers off. There's nothing ridiculous about the original post, and there are plenty of other threads on here like it. Speaking personally, I love my 545 but it's unquestionably the least reliable car I've ever owned based on number of days in the shop and number of visits to the dealer in the last 15 months. Won't stop me getting another, but there's no need to rip into the OP like this for posting his experience with his car.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Alpine White 550i, Auburn Int., AS, CA, SMG, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seats, HUD, Navi, SIRIUS, M Body Kit

Originally Posted by bimmer_w' post='263140' date='Mar 31 2006, 04:10 PM
[

yeah, they give you a dodge neon for a loaner. one of the reason i bought a bmw is for safety. then they give you a neon which is like a tin can when you get into an accident.
I always get another 5 or a 3... Maybe your dealer just sucks.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='263004' date='Mar 31 2006, 10:16 AM
Ok, I felt really strongly after reading this post, so excuse my harshness when you read the following...

First of all, I'm sorry you are having so many problems with your car. Maybe you'll be better of driving a Lexus afterall. Now, I would like to address several other points of the original post and other's replies.

Most of the problems, like window motors, check engine lights, etc are common with all manufacturers, even Lexus, etc (believe me, I owned 3 Lexuses) and that is given no car has sophistication of a BMW. They are pioneers of a car industry, and yes, their stuff breaks, but that's how they pave way for japanese copycats like Lexus. Have you ever heard of any significant technologocal advancement in automotive design, technology, or materials made by Lexus recently? No? Hmmmm.....

Car produces bigger noise when A/C is turned on
- REALLY? Maybe that is because generator gets additional load from running A/C compressor?
Brake noise due to sensor - well, change the freaking sensor - its a warranty repair. Most cars don't even have brake sensors (well, maybe most do now, but anyway), why is this a big deal?
Now, paint peeling is something that might be triggered by the climate, or your skin oils - do you wash your hands often? Do you use skin conditioners? And...cut your fingernails! Never had this problem with any of my BMWs, including my '03 build E60.

Finally, I think most of you folks expect too much really - you expect a $60K car to be perfect and never break donw? WHY? Because YOU paid $60K for it? So what? There are way more expensive cars that break down more often, and cost more to repair, don't even get me started on Ferraris and Lamborghinis! You think Lexus or Acura (insert your favorite brand here) will be better? Sell your BMW and get an Acura. But stop complaining about how bad BMW are, I really sick of listening to this! They are not perfect, no car is, no matter how much you pay, $60K or $600K.

"why should we have to be careful using these cars if they cost more then Lexus but Lexus products can go 10 years without problems?" - are you for real?

"If I had to buy a car I would buy Lexus, thank god I only lease these BMWs" - why don't you lease a Lexus then? You won't have anything to complain about then?

I bought all my BMWs for what they are = a driving machine, not a comfortable couch on wheels like MB, and not an old lady car like Lexus. No car will match BMW value for the price - and you decide what you drive. I apologize if I came through abrasive, but that thread is ridiculous!
I can see that you are a huge bmw maniac..

Dont get me wrong with my original post.
I do like bmw, why do you think I have bouhgt a e60?
I was just letting people know and wants to discuss about the problems that I had/having
I would also like to see other bmw owners experiencing same issues that I do.
Therefore, I do not see why my thread is ridiculous..
Old 03-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

I apologize once again for venting, as I did in the beginning and at the end of my post, but I still stand behind what I said in that post. Even though I fully understand where you are coming from... :-)
Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='263227' date='Mar 31 2006, 08:34 PM
I apologize once again for venting, as I did in the beginning and at the end of my post, but I still stand behind what I said in that post. Even though I fully understand where you are coming from... :-)
Is the glass half full or half empty?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by aultimateE60' post='262834' date='Mar 30 2006, 07:09 PM
Today, I had flat tire warning came on middle of high way made me frustrating and it was fault alert. I am really sick of this car..
I might get new car if things are keep happening..
I think I will go with GS430 or M45 or even RL (sporty) as my next car.
What are some opinion for the cars that I listed?

GS430 is too soft, even w/ sport suspension.
RL doesn't have the power low to mid band, slow overall.
M45 is best of the 3, that's why I paid $10+k more for my 550.

But, those cars will have less problems in the long run. I figure I'll have the 550 for just long enough not to have major expenses out of pocket.

Quick Reply: bmw quality...