E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW E60 5er LONG

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another reason I think that the longer 5 series makes sense in China is because there has been recent increase in kidnappings, where the kidnappers target MB S-class or 7 series owners, simply cause onehas to rich to afford those cars. This causes the worried rich people to get less flashy cars like the Audi A6 or the E60. However, in this case the A6 tends to be more popular because it has a slightly larger interior; thus a longer 5 series would make sense.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

So I take it the 750Li is huge? I always tought that's why they had a regular 7 series and the L 7 series, for those who felt the L version of the 7 was to long/big. How much longer would the L 5 series be than a regular non L 7 series? I wonder.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Busta' post='280183' date='May 10 2006, 10:28 AM
So I take it the 750Li is huge? I always tought that's why they had a regular 7 series and the L 7 series, for those who felt the L version of the 7 was to long/big. How much longer would the L 5 series be than a regular non L 7 series? I wonder.
I think it was in the first post 10-15 cm, but I think he meant inches as 10-15 cm is not a huge difference.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by joseyu' post='280180' date='May 10 2006, 10:26 AM
Another reason I think that the longer 5 series makes sense in China is because there has been recent increase in kidnappings, where the kidnappers target MB S-class or 7 series owners, simply cause onehas to rich to afford those cars. This causes the worried rich people to get less flashy cars like the Audi A6 or the E60. However, in this case the A6 tends to be more popular because it has a slightly larger interior; thus a longer 5 series would make sense.
I have a friend in Cebu who drives around in a CR-V although he can afford something better, he said that the moment someone sees you in a nice car, they will kidnapp you.

Same for China, and people knows that if you drive a S or a 7 you are rich and something lower than that you are not that rich.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Contributors

FYI, the Bimmers made here in China is just as good as they are made elsewhere. Other cars probably not, but BMW definitely is.

Why a 5er Long? Its because AUDI A6 and MB E series are both made here in China, and since AUDI started their operation here 2 decades ago, they were really the symbol of luxury then and still remains that status. With the AUDI A6 L was introudced a year back, and its making a killing again after here due to its comfy leg room in the back(comapre to 5er). And i couldn't agree more with the chauffer driven reason, lots of the cars here are chauffer driven, and just to let you know it has nothing to do with "WHY CHINESE NEED EXTRA LEG ROOM" or race at all.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer530I' post='280196' date='May 10 2006, 10:40 AM
FYI, the Bimmers made here in China is just as good as they are made elsewhere. Other cars probably not, but BMW definitely is.

Why a 5er Long? Its because AUDI A6 and MB E series are both made here in China, and since AUDI started their operation here 2 decades ago, they were really the symbol of luxury then and still remains that status. With the AUDI A6 L was introudced a year back, and its making a killing again after here due to its comfy leg room in the back(comapre to 5er). And i couldn't agree more with the chauffer driven reason, lots of the cars here are chauffer driven, and just to let you know it has nothing to do with "WHY CHINESE NEED EXTRA LEG ROOM" or race at all.
There you go, I know a fellow Chinese that lives in China can help me out.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='280199' date='May 9 2006, 07:43 PM
There you go, I know a fellow Chinese that lives in China can help me out.
I'm sure BMW will have great quality control there.. No worries here
Old 05-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

In China there are several factories building "European" cars. They do this to avoid import duties, which are significant. Basically what they do is ship kit cars to China, and assemble locally. So the quality should be very good. Germans parts, Chinese assembly.

It's amazing to see the progress in China. 12 years ago, my first trip to Shanghai, it was bicycles everywhere. Now the roads are filled with cars. Lots of expensive cars now, especially MB. VW are also doing well.

I use my E60 to carry business passengers. Not all the time, but when you do you want good rear legroom. Similar to someone being chaffeur driven. So I specifically looked at rear legroom when deciding on a car. 7 series is too expensive. I did seriously consider a Skoda Superb, simply because it has good rear legroom. 3 series are rubbish, as are most similar size cars.

For me, an extra 6 inches would be very useful.

For all those making jokes, and those who have never travelled outside their own country, and/or to Asia/China. Another 10 years and China will rule the world. See who's laughing then.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='280017' date='May 9 2006, 09:56 PM
We'll see if bmw decides to do it and what market sectors are targeted. It may be very well as yousa id in nr 1 post, if it will be like that who cares .Kidding...
Yes but i also don't see your point too much about the obvious stuff regarding 5erL vs 7er since one who has a chaffeur as you call it, i don't think he gives a damn on standing-out or obvious stuff. A chaffeur will get noticed, and when it does, some people might start talking "ain't that a bitch, he is rich enough to afford a driver but is cheap enough not to spend too much on a upper class bmw or whatever". That's a possibility anyway, and the way i see it.

Also about the prices, i don't think the 5L will be close to the 7. You were right about what you said, and probably that will be true if they decide to do it. But again: who would want a way lower class bmw ? (as in "technologies, equipment and materials used so it will be much cheaper ")
no mate, Peter is right here. My dad as profession has a 5er and a driver, not in black suits and gloves and odd hats, a normal young mate, and he is a pro driver, nobody actually knows he is a driver except when he gets out the car and helps... so they do not yet wanted a 7er, but the 530i in weeks will be 530ix

But they would like this L version and I am sure as much for 7er there is this will hit the market soon in EU too.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Basically it's a car for a market where the relationship between the salary of a driver and the cost of a limo is much different than in the West. We're talking countries where anyone who can afford a 5 Series can also afford to pay the salary for 3 drivers working in shifts. At the same time he wants a shiny, new car with a prestige badge and doesn't care about things like handling and engine size. He knows he's going to be sitting in the back and that's where he wants the extra room and the creature comforts. That's the target for a stretched 5. BTW - in Europe countries like the Ukraine in general have a similar mindset.

In Western Europe if you can afford to pay a driver then a 7 series is also probably within easy reach.

Quick Reply: BMW E60 5er LONG