E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW E60 5er LONG

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy' post='279872' date='May 9 2006, 03:45 PM
I wonder why Chinese need more legroom
Old 05-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

True, the 7 is bigger in every aspect but except the trunk. The trunk by the looks of it is smaller than the 5 I think partly because those space went into the cabin so there will be more leg room.

They make this car for the Chinese and Arab market guys didn't you read it? Not only the Chinese needs more legroom so does the Arab

But I do think the reason behind making a long version for the 5 is that hiring a chauffer in China or Arabia is relatively cheap so there will be alot of chauffer driving the 5 and if that's the case then the rear of the regular 5 is certainly not the best place to commute.

Why not get the 7 than? Although China is a big country, some place are tight and driving a 7 in the traffic is a nightmare (imagine a 2 lane road way that have 3 cars driving parallel down it) so not so good of an idea.

Plus if people spent that much money on a 7, they will shell out a bit more to get a S-class as they think MB is more of a status symbol. So this move is to pry away some of the S class customer.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='279891' date='May 9 2006, 04:48 PM
True, the 7 is bigger in every aspect but except the trunk. The trunk by the looks of it is smaller than the 5 I think partly because those space went into the cabin so there will be more leg room.

They make this car for the Chinese and Arab market guys didn't you read it? Not only the Chinese needs more legroom so does the Arab

But I do think the reason behind making a long version for the 5 is that hiring a chauffer in China or Arabia is relatively cheap so there will be alot of chauffer driving the 5 and if that's the case then the rear of the regular 5 is certainly not the best place to commute.

Why not get the 7 than? Although China is a big country, some place are tight and driving a 7 in the traffic is a nightmare (imagine a 2 lane road way that have 3 cars driving parallel down it) so not so good of an idea.

Plus if people spent that much money on a 7, they will shell out a bit more to get a S-class as they think MB is more of a status symbol. So this move is to pry away some of the S class customer.
Sorry man, i don't think so. 1st as the 7 is in the traffic, so pretty much is the 5, there will be VERY VERY little chances for some one to find a squezze spot with a 5 and impossible with a 7, we are not talking after all about the 7 series and the 1 series.
and 2nd no, if they stick to bmws they will not go to an s klass (bmw aims here at bmw customers not to pull away some market shares from mb), the 7 does a terrific job at this market segment, and the battle with the s klass is tight but the sale results are satisifing. And another thing, you can still have fun even with a 7, but with an s klass...
Old 05-09-2006, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Hmmm... If I want a really big car I would go for the 7-serie...
Old 05-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='279897' date='May 9 2006, 10:28 PM
Sorry man, i don't think so. 1st as the 7 is in the traffic, so pretty much is the 5, there will be VERY VERY little chances for some one to find a squezze spot with a 5 and impossible with a 7, we are not talking after all about the 7 series and the 1 series.
and 2nd no, if they stick to bmws they will not go to an s klass (bmw aims here at bmw customers not to pull away some market shares from mb), the 7 does a terrific job at this market segment, and the battle with the s klass is tight but the sale results are satisifing. And another thing, you can still have fun even with a 7, but with an s klass...
Bettermakeway, I am from Hong Kong and I frequently works in China. So I must know a thing or two about them right?

Believe me, I have driven a S-class in traffic and the longer hood is really not an advantage in tight traffic, as I couldn't tailgate closer to the guy in front than with my 5. Parking space is not the concern here.

Second, BMW is a status symbol but even more so with MB and that's why we see so much S-class in China compare with 7 series. They don't care $hit about the handling as I've stated most of those cars are chauffer driven and rarely driven by the owner, so they want the legroom.

I know S-class or MB is nowhere near BMW in terms of driving but as for the prestige (in China and Hong Kong or where Chinese live) That star on the hood means way more than the roundel on our hood.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mr_djurgarden' post='279914' date='May 9 2006, 11:07 PM
Hmmm... If I want a really big car I would go for the 7-serie...
I would put the seat a bit farther back I still feel the 7 does not suit me at this stage. The 5 is perfect.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='279922' date='May 9 2006, 08:31 AM
Bettermakeway, I am from Hong Kong and I frequently works in China. So I must know a thing or two about them right?

Believe me, I have driven a S-class in traffic and the longer hood is really not an advantage in tight traffic, as I couldn't tailgate closer to the guy in front than with my 5. Parking space is not the concern here.

Second, BMW is a status symbol but even more so with MB and that's why we see so much S-class in China compare with 7 series. They don't care $hit about the handling as I've stated most of those cars are chauffer driven and rarely driven by the owner, so they want the legroom.

I know S-class or MB is nowhere near BMW in terms of driving but as for the prestige (in China and Hong Kong or where Chinese live) That star on the hood means way more than the roundel on our hood.
I think you're absolutely spot on, and suspect many of your comments probably apply outside of China too.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Contributors

just the thought that it will be produced in china...make me nerveous...
Old 05-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

that car would no way make it in the market....if a guy wants a big car he buys the 7series...there are more 7s here than 5s......and anybody wanting more legroom would buy a 7...and the 5 is a very smal portion of the market here.less than 7s, 3s, x5s....people like big cars...and we dont have a problem with fuel prices.....i see absolutely no future in this car....
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by madoon' post='279944' date='May 9 2006, 09:22 AM
that car would no way make it in the market....if a guy wants a big car he buys the 7series...there are more 7s here than 5s......and anybody wanting more legroom would buy a 7...and the 5 is a very smal portion of the market here.less than 7s, 3s, x5s....people like big cars...and we dont have a problem with fuel prices.....i see absolutely no future in this car....
That might apply in Bahrain, it might not apply elsewhere......

Quick Reply: BMW E60 5er LONG