E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW E60 545 Vs BMW M3 Convertible E46

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='873440
Interesting results e46 M3 vs 545i vs 550i vs 535i (ALL STOCK)

http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.php?make...tonName=Compare!

IMO it depends on the driver skills.
THANKS! That means it definitely depends on driver skills as you could see on the link. the difference between both cars are mainly feeeling since the m3 is a more aggressive car and the 545i being more luxurious
Old 05-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='872321' date='May 8 2009, 11:30 AM
I searched google and most results hover around 3800lbs
Almost two tons hovering is a scary thought!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by KillaStayFlashy' post='876302' date='May 12 2009, 11:39 AM
thanks for your response it definitely did change my preference and i will definitely pick a 545i over an m3 on a similar deal, although i still love the m3 and for a good price i'd pick the m3. so at the time of purchase hopefully real soon i will definitely pick a 545i over an m3 unless the price advantages of the m3 r better.... i kinda feel neutral about both cars i feel kind of the same way i'd love both of them.

THANKS! That means it definitely depends on driver skills as you could see on the link. the difference between both cars are mainly feeeling since the m3 is a more aggressive car and the 545i being more luxurious
cool! make sure the 545i or 550i has sport package. It is a must!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i - all options and 20" Snitchers

You guys amaze me! I hit on this whilst looking for results of remapping a 545i. I have the Sport version with 20" 'Snitcher' wheels. It does not need a special diff because it sticks. It will also stick with just about anything on our twisty country roads. It is about the best car I have ever owned for it's balance between effortless luxury and outright performance. In my opinion there is no comparison with an M3. The M's are useful only for track days or for hairdressers trying to look butch. The 545 will get you there in the same time without a headache. Incidently, I have owned most models of high performance cars but can't afford a Bentley.

I am amazed because I spend around 4 months of the year in the USA, albeit in Florida. 0-60 at any rate of acceleration when the lights change over there is a recipe for instant death as some old biddy in an ancient Cadillac runs the red! Imho, 0-60 times have no value in the real world - simply a tool measuring contest. Driving ability is all about taking corners which are a rarity in the States. Any hairdresser can squirt from 0-60 in a straight line. Some expert expounded earlier that a LSD had 'no effect on cornering' - codswallop! A LSD is vital for fast corning unless you have the electronics engaged otherwise you lose traction on the nearside rear wheel, particularly when it is wet.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by meditek' post='891909' date='May 27 2009, 07:57 PM
You guys amaze me! I hit on this whilst looking for results of remapping a 545i. I have the Sport version with 20" 'Snitcher' wheels. It does not need a special diff because it sticks. It will also stick with just about anything on our twisty country roads. It is about the best car I have ever owned for it's balance between effortless luxury and outright performance. In my opinion there is no comparison with an M3. The M's are useful only for track days or for hairdressers trying to look butch. The 545 will get you there in the same time without a headache. Incidently, I have owned most models of high performance cars but can't afford a Bentley.

I am amazed because I spend around 4 months of the year in the USA, albeit in Florida. 0-60 at any rate of acceleration when the lights change over there is a recipe for instant death as some old biddy in an ancient Cadillac runs the red! Imho, 0-60 times have no value in the real world - simply a tool measuring contest. Driving ability is all about taking corners which are a rarity in the States. Any hairdresser can squirt from 0-60 in a straight line. Some expert expounded earlier that a LSD had 'no effect on cornering' - codswallop! A LSD is vital for fast corning unless you have the electronics engaged otherwise you lose traction on the nearside rear wheel, particularly when it is wet.
Thats a good way to look at things.

545 all the way
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by meditek' post='891909' date='May 27 2009, 02:57 PM

Look, if you can't afford an M car it's no big deal. I only have a 545 as well. No need to insult the superior vehicle just to make yourself feel adequate. Oh, and why do you hate hairdressers so much?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by meditek' post='891909' date='May 27 2009, 11:57 AM

The incredible drive that our NorCal members did on Saturday somewhat undermines your theory that corners are a rarity in the US...
Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 SMG 545i silver grey metallic / bamboo anthracite / black leather CPO sport package premium sound park distance control cold weather package

Originally Posted by swajames' post='892002' date='May 27 2009, 01:53 PM
The incredible drive that our NorCal members did on Saturday somewhat undermines your theory that corners are a rarity in the US...
+1 to that.
I used to go to school in san luis obispo, and driving there from los angeles, there is a back road called HWY 154 which takes you through los olivos and lake cachuma.
Lets just say that I had some of the best times in my e36 M3 driving that road, and can't wait to try it on Friday in my new e60.

That, and has anyone heard of HWY 74 in southern california, between Temecula/Hemet and Palm Springs.
Dangerous, but oooooh so fun.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 SMG 545i silver grey metallic / bamboo anthracite / black leather CPO sport package premium sound park distance control cold weather package

oh, and whats with all the S*@! talking...?

calling each other names and making crude references is absolutely pointless, and completely takes away from the topic at hand.

:rant over:
Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Members

guys!!!

No arguing either, everyone has a right to make their points.

Quick Reply: BMW E60 545 Vs BMW M3 Convertible E46