E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW disappoints me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006 | 12:26 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i '01 IS300

Two weeks into "enjoying" my CPO 545i, I keep running into problems.
- First it was the dealer not know how to deal with out of state buyers. I had to do my own homework and tell them what needs to be done. Not really a car problem but it was my first impression at a BMW dealer.
- Then it was the alarm going off in the middle of the night for no reason. Keeping me up thinking someone was stealing my baby. Keep in mind this was happening on my trip back from CA to TX in a small town.
- The droaning road noise from worn out tires! Although it was CPO, the inner side of the tires are bald!
- The transmission slams at low speed. Had this happen twice. Once going up a really steep street and the other was in traffic.
- Electrical problems causing my car to almost not start for the past 2 days. It sounds like the battery has been drained.
- Radio and Satellite cuts out for a second or two. It's on all station.

I am taking the car in next Thursday and they are going to get an ear full. I just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening.

UPDATED: See posts #14
Old 07-14-2006 | 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by amadeus00' post='310862' date='Jul 14 2006, 03:26 PM
Two weeks into "enjoying" my CPO 545i, I keep running into problems.
- First it was the dealer not know how to deal with out of state buyers. I had to do my own homework and tell them what needs to be done. Not really a car problem but it was my first impression at a BMW dealer.
- Then it was the alarm going off in the middle of the night for no reason. Keeping me up thinking someone was stealing my baby. Keep in mind this was happening on my trip back from CA to TX in a small town.
- The droaning road noise from worn out tires! Although it was CPO, the inner side of the tires are bald!
- The transmission slams at low speed. Had this happen twice. Once going up a really steep street and the other was in traffic.
- Electrical problems causing my car to almost not start for the past 2 days. It sounds like the battery has been drained.
- Radio and Satellite cuts out for a second or two. It's on all station.

I am taking the car in next Thursday and they are going to get an ear full. I just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening.
Sorry to hear the issues. Which dealership are you taking it to? Your car sounds like it needs a software update.
Old 07-14-2006 | 12:43 PM
Members

Well, I bought the car from Weatherford BMW in the Bay Area but I am going to get it serviced at BMW North Houston. I've already warned them of my experience and I am willing to wipe the slate clean and start over.
Old 07-14-2006 | 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Sorry to hear about your problems. Good news is that you'll be able to address at least some of these with a software update. Re the tires, I'm very surprised that a CPO was sold with tires in such bad condition. I know that when my prior 545 was certified as a CPO after I traded it in against my new E60 the dealership had to fit new tires as part of the CPO process. How many miles are on the clock on your new car?
Old 07-14-2006 | 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I'm also really sorry to hear about your problems.

I'm now with my second E60, the first one was a second hand buy
this one I owned since new.

BMW's tend to be driven very hard and rough, as my old one...

This new one works like a clock!
Old 07-14-2006 | 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

AS for your tires... they're defective. BMW has a bulletin out thats suppose to replace your Dunlop tires for free.. your selling dealer should have changed them out before selling you the car.

How many miles is on it?

As for transmission slam and battery problem... I think those were problamatic for early cars but was later fixed by sooftware. V16.2 and later.

For sure tranmission slam is solved now. I had the transmission slam for my SMG and it was fixed with V16.2 maybe automatic was a little later but its fixed now. Ask the dealer for a S/W update.
Old 07-14-2006 | 05:24 PM
Senior Members

The High Battery Drain, the radio cutting out, and maybe the alarm are all because of your TCU. I know there are like 5 other members that have had all the same problems, myself included. Although the delear I took it to said they wouldn't even touch my car because I had put in an after market stereo. I did manage to get a new battery because mine had cracked somehow and was leaking. Anyway, after the battery was replaced, I turned on the RDS function (another member suggested it) and I haven't had anymore problems. I'd still take it to the dealer, but in the mean time you might try turning on the RDS function so that your radio doesn't cut out ever 5 seconds.
Old 07-15-2006 | 04:07 PM
Members

Thanks for all your support. It is very frustrating not being able to enjoy my car without all these nagging problems. I hope the dealer will be accomindating.

The tires are going to be a big problem for me. When I took over the car, it had 26k on it and the tires probably met CPO standards as the paper work says. I forgot to bring my depth gage to verify. The tire noise was there from the beginning and didn't have time to bring it back to the dealer as I was trying to drive home with it. 3k miles later, they are just droaning loud. It's going to be a tough argument on my behalf. Any suggestions? I also realize the tire replacement is only effective if you have less than 10k on the tire.
Old 07-15-2006 | 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by amadeus00' post='311280' date='Jul 15 2006, 05:07 PM
I also realize the tire replacement is only effective if you have less than 10k on the tire.
20k but ya... its going to be a tough one... it all depends how good you are with your dealer... they might be able to pull some strings and meet you half way. YOu pay for half of the tire price.
Old 07-15-2006 | 08:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by amadeus00' post='311280' date='Jul 15 2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all your support. It is very frustrating not being able to enjoy my car without all these nagging problems. I hope the dealer will be accomindating.

The tires are going to be a big problem for me. When I took over the car, it had 26k on it and the tires probably met CPO standards as the paper work says. I forgot to bring my depth gage to verify. The tire noise was there from the beginning and didn't have time to bring it back to the dealer as I was trying to drive home with it. 3k miles later, they are just droaning loud. It's going to be a tough argument on my behalf. Any suggestions? I also realize the tire replacement is only effective if you have less than 10k on the tire.
Realistically the tires are due for replacement and BMW doesn't have to pay for that.

Quick Reply: BMW disappoints me.