E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

bmw crashed need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamil535
its my car and the bad part is theirs no insurance involved in it so its all on me i had the car checked out from some body shop he said the chassy is not damaged its only top frame which is bent inwards. i bought the tail lights for 400$ already the trunk is fine the frame might need to pulled out or put new
That's too bad because I'd guess your '08 will be a "total" - it's nearly impossible (financially) to repair this kind of damage. Meaning, the cost to repair may exceed the value of the car. Would you mind sharing your insurance issue? Maybe some legal minds on the forum can provide some guidance.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Msport

Seriously? No insurance? My buddy was hit by someone with no isurance and he went to the guys house every month for a $300/month payment until he collected about 2k and that was for a scratch. Now not everyone can do that but the guy would have had some serious probs if you knew my buddy . That being said, don't you have uninsured insurance? please dont tell me you bought a 60k car and dont have legit insurance, bc that would be a $500 deduc and call it a day. bc other members have said it already, it's prob at least 10-15k damage with the frame issue, not a total but a serious headache.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550, Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation, Winter Package
Model Year: 2006

I have a OEM MTECH rear bumber still in the box if you ever decide to fix it?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I'd be surprised if this is not a writeoff. The rear panels above rear wheels involve a lot of repair. My now retired 08 535i had the entire side damaged that cost $14,000 two years ago. Your exhaust system looks messed up, your electronics in the trunk (unless the duct tape holds the lid closed) will be destroyed in the first rain. You are covered in Toronto if an uninsured driver causes damage so your insurance issues must be major. GL but I'd kiss it goodbye.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

By the dust on rear seats, it seems to me you are bought someone problem, it seems to me this czr was sitting on salvage yard for sometime.
Ok as I see damage on rear fender, so it's really bad, it could chassis's moved as well. I would not buy this car unless body shop with the stretch equipment, they will do it.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

FWIW I sold my entire OEM front bumper and internals to a guy who was rebuilding a 550i (salvage title) as a project. He showed me pics and seemed very knowledgeable - so a rebuild is definitely possible if done by the right person/shop. The key is getting the parts as cheap as possible.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by phlfly
By the dust on rear seats, it seems to me you are bought someone problem, it seems to me this czr was sitting on salvage yard for sometime.
Ok as I see damage on rear fender, so it's really bad, it could chassis's moved as well. I would not buy this car unless body shop with the stretch equipment, they will do it.
The OP said someone hit his car.
OP I don't know the details or your personal situation. You have to get estimate done by a body shop to see how much damage there is then go from there. The term total damage is an INSURANCE term and most have failed to read that you're not going through insurance for whatever reason. So there is no such thing as total damage in your situation.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

+1 on fixing it if you have no insurance or their not involved. I honestly can't imagine ever having a car with any value and not having insurance to cover something like this. I can't imagine the cost involved. You don't have a frame, rather a unibody but your car will have to go on a frame machine and secured then the rear pulled back I order to have a chance for your parts to align. No one here can accurately advise you on your damaged because we can't see the whole picture. I'm still thinking the car is totaled if it comes to the insurance paying out on it. Other than that you can always fix what you want if you have the funding. Maybe have a couple estimates done.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Cliffs Notes:

-That left quarter panel is destroyed. It needs to be replaced.

-Your headrests are more than likely manufactured by TRW, since they build those 'active headrests' for all of the other manufacturers. There is a 'reset' procedure which is basically you taking the headrests out, kneeling on them, and hopefully getting the catches to lock back into place as long as the frame portion of the headrest isn't cracked (it probably is).

-rear body panel is destroyed, needs to be replaced.

-if you want to get real nit-picky about it, a hail dent in your roof is 'unibody' damage since the roof is a welded part of the monocoque of the car. so yea, there's definitely compression through the rear portion of the monocoque. based on what i see there, i'm sure you'll have a body shop call it a 'high hit' meaning it didn't affect the rear floor or reinforcing sidemembers.

-battery cable has a safety 'kill' switch that cuts electrical power in a moderate to severe crash. on a lot of other BMWs ive seen, you can push the pin back into the cable to restore power, but you'll still need to replace the cable if you want your SRS light to go out.

-crash damage threads seem to bring out a lot of responses from people that aren't very knowledgeable when it comes to collision repair. unibody cars are designed to be repaired, that's why the manufacturers sell replacement parts

good luck, that car might be game over.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
The OP said someone hit his car.
OP I don't know the details or your personal situation. You have to get estimate done by a body shop to see how much damage there is then go from there. The term total damage is an INSURANCE term and most have failed to read that you're not going through insurance for whatever reason. So there is no such thing as total damage in your situation.
+1 there's no insurance involved. That vehicle IS in a salvage yard. The question I'd have is was it your car before it ended up in a salvage yard, or are you planning on buying it and restoring it?

If it's a vehicle you're planning on restoring, there are a myriad of things to consider in addition to the physical damage you see here. Have you inspected the vehicle yourself?

Quick Reply: bmw crashed need help