E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW 545i Sport issue experts please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pk8813' post='469385' date='Sep 14 2007, 05:32 AM
.....Also i cant remember someone from the forum mentioned BMW sells 19 inch rims for the 5 series on their catalog , can i find the catalog online ?? or this something i can only find at the dealers.
Unfortunately the accessory catalog in the information section of E60.net is the very first E60 catalog and it was printed in 2003, so no 19" wheels in there. However, I looked in my BMW ETK and pulled out a couple of 19" wheels that are for the E60. I specifically entered the car info as a US 545i with 1/2004 production (you can see this info inside the red area at the top left corner. Print these out and show it to your dealer. The offsets are different than yours, but again it should not be an issue as long as the tires don't rub. Also, as I mentioned above, your dealer's issue was apparently not offset related but just the fact that he is saying that you can't have anything but 18" wheels on the car. Click on the black bar on top of the pics to make them bigger if the letters aren't legible.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Guys:

Didn't the problem start before he put the new wheels/tires on?? Is the dealer quietly ignoring that fact??
Old 09-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='469562' date='Sep 14 2007, 04:37 PM
Guys:

Didn't the problem start before he put the new wheels/tires on?? Is the dealer quietly ignoring that fact??
Probably true - but if the offset is wrong (and that was just a guess) and they are not OEM wheels, it is up to them if they want to deny working on it. I'd be curious to hear the dealers side.

PS - don't get me wrong, I still think that even with the above, their excuse is bull - I personally would go to the service manager and ask him to explain why they will not work on it.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i Sport

can u tell me how i can verify all the stuff u r talking about.

it would be helpful.

thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 1982 Pogo Stick, brick red

You don't have proper alighment holes for wheels so the alignment sensors won't fit. Those wheels are not OEM even if the dimensions are right. Sorry to say this but I am a certefied BMW technician and I wouldn't have done an alignment on your car either.

Be that as it may the rude treatment was not acceptable. He should have explained the reason why instead.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Members

i understand , so theres no way i can get my Car allignment done ???
it will be a disaster if i cant get it done, also i recently noticed the ASC warning doesnt appear on sharp turns as did before. it only happens once in a while.
will any body be able to do it for me i mean any dealer ship , even if i have to drive a 1000 miles for i dont care i need it.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pk8813' post='469627' date='Sep 14 2007, 07:38 PM
i understand , so theres no way i can get my Car allignment done ???
A speciality tire shop should have the equipment to align your wheel... I forget what the machine is called... something Hunter I think... but call around... there should be some good tire shops that can align active steering cars.

Oh or you can ask someone to swap wheels with you for a few days so you can take your car to the dealer and have them do your alignment. Or ask if anyone around you has a spare set of OEM BMW wheels laying around... rent it from them.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by BigLew' post='469612' date='Sep 14 2007, 09:34 PM
You don't have proper alighment holes for wheels so the alignment sensors won't fit. Those wheels are not OEM even if the dimensions are right. Sorry to say this but I am a certefied BMW technician and I wouldn't have done an alignment on your car either.

Be that as it may the rude treatment was not acceptable. He should have explained the reason why instead.
How do you know he doesn't have "proper" alignment holes? Even though they are replicas, they could still have the proper 5 alignment holes, just not like the holes we are all used to seeing on typical E60 OEM's. You can't tell from the pic he posted. Look carefully at the OEM & replica M6 167 wheels....there ARE alignment holes. PK8813, do your wheels look like the replicas I found below on eBay...with the 5 smaller openings/holes next to the larger lug holes?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-BMW-M6-W...sspagenameZWDVW

If so, the HUNTER alignment system BMW uses will work. I have CSL M3 replicas on my 530xi and the Hunter wheel alignment "fingers" fit perfectly. My dealer NEVER gave me problems because they were replicas, and they've aligned my car 6 times (due to some vibration/tire issues and the fact I had lowering springs installed). They never once even brought up the wheels as being a problem or issue, and they DO know they are replicas. Granted, I don't have active steering, but either way it shouldn't matter at all re: your wheel situation. IMO, Your dealer is full of crap!
Old 09-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Members

DrLev yes u r a 100% rite and those r the same wheels i bought and the same dealer.
They have the alignment holes just as u mentioned. so any BMW dealer should be able to do the alignment , correct me if i am wrong
My dealer is full of crap , i hope another dealer takes care of it....
Old 09-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by pk8813' post='469827' date='Sep 15 2007, 09:34 PM
DrLev yes u r a 100% rite and those r the same wheels i bought and the same dealer.
They have the alignment holes just as u mentioned. so any BMW dealer should be able to do the alignment , correct me if i am wrong
My dealer is full of crap , i hope another dealer takes care of it....
You are correct, 100%.....any "other" dealer will be able to help you & do a proper alignment with 19" rims, even with your replicas. BMW techs don't always know what they are talking about.....sorry to say. Rudy will agree with me...as well as most other members on here. Good luck!

Quick Reply: BMW 545i Sport issue experts please help