E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Biggest E60 Ripoff....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madoon' post='526990' date='Feb 4 2008, 05:25 AM
a new 530i costs about over $65000 here and there are some cars that are half as that that come with it..
so i think its unfair to make the customer pay more when your already paying so much more,,,
There are so many "cheap" cars that come with many of the E60 options as standard. I can buy many Ford cars for around ?10,000 which comes with Xenons, Satnav, CD Changer, Keyless ignition, electric seats, auto, leather, sunroof, etc etc etc.

But guess what ... BMW _never_ came with those. You've always had to add them. They have always been costed options. It's not a surprise!! Have a look on something like the Rolls Royce, Ferrari or Porsche options list. Then come back to BMW and see how cheap all the options are.

I am happy that the E60 and it's options are expensive. If it weren't, everybody would be driving one. Is my car and it's options actually worth ?55,000 in material terms? Absolutely not. But is it worth ?55,000 to me? Yes
Old 02-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Contributors

the transmitter and the receiver of the comfort access (the electronic parts) cost 5 EUR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nevertheless, it is a nice gadget...

what i find useless is a the nightvision -> why would someone drive and look at the idrive?? that really does not make sense..
Old 02-04-2008, 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by sese' post='526714' date='Feb 3 2008, 04:44 PM
If you have once driven a car with ACC and HUD you wouldn't want to miss it in your next.
Agree!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:32 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I agree with Russ' comments about the options -- I think its great having so much choice, the opportunity to personalise your car and flexibility to work to your budget. As for the pricing policy, well that's questionable -- however BMW is a leading innovator in the industry and that all comes at a price.

Back to the original question... what's the biggest Ripoff... for me its got to be one of the cheapest options... the CUP HOLDERS!! I still can't believe we have to order these as an option Its so rude and unnecessary, I'm starting to think its simply a running joke at BMW HQ!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted
Cool

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='527012' date='Feb 4 2008, 02:32 PM
I agree with Russ' comments about the options -- I think its great having so much choice, the opportunity to personalise your car and flexibility to work to your budget. As for the pricing policy, well that's questionable -- however BMW is a leading innovator in the industry and that all comes at a price.

Back to the original question... what's the biggest Ripoff... for me its got to be one of the cheapest options... the CUP HOLDERS!! I still can't believe we have to order these as an option Its so rude and unnecessary, I'm starting to think its simply a running joke at BMW HQ!
Jesus you are right! Cupholders! OMG
Old 02-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sese' post='526714' date='Feb 3 2008, 11:44 PM
If you have once driven a car with ACC and HUD you wouldn't want to miss it in your next.
If you have driven a manual transmission car with ACC you will realize that this option is useless, I wonder why BMW is offering ACC option to manual cars?
Also, night vision is like watching TV when driving, but with much more suspense ...don't take your eyes off the screen, because the enemy is somewhere in front of you ...to me just useless :thumbsdown: I wonder why TV is locked when moving
Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='526668' date='Feb 3 2008, 01:43 PM
I posted this about 2 years ago and received some interesting responses. In your opinion, what is the biggest ripoff option available on the E60?? I think that the award should go to Anthracite headliner. I ordered my car with a natural brown interior and bamboo trim. What color blind idiot made the decision to use a light gray headliner with that combination?? There is absolutely nothing else gray anywhere in the interior. IMO, they are just trying to milk me and whomever else bought it out of another $500. I also understand that in Canada and some other places the anthracite color is standard. What's your favorite??
I'm not sure how that you can call options that you are not forced to purchase ripoffs. No one is making you pay what BMW is asking for the various options. If you think they are ripoffs then simply do not purchase them. There are certainly options (probably most of them) that are over priced but that is true with every luxury car line. It was absolutely true with my previously owned Audi and Lexus models and also true with the MB 550E that I considered before going with my 550i. You can make a case that the BMW E60 base cost is very high and that you are paying, in part, for the name and that would be true. It doesn't, however, make the car a ripoff.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='527019
what i find useless is a the nightvision -> why would someone drive and look at the idrive?? that really does not make sense..
Why would someone drive and look at the rearview or sideview mirrors?

Kidding aside, I find night vision very useful but only after you train yourself (and your brain) to be able to glance at the screen and quickly determine if there's anything you need to worry about up ahead. Before I got used to the system, I felt the same way as you do because I found myself just staring at it and trying to figure out what all the "hotspots" were. Now, I've learned to ignore the standard hotspots and only notice the ones that are important (like people, animals, etc.)
Old 02-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Oh yeah, and I have to add that the stop-and-go feature makes ACC worth it. Without stop-and-go, I'd opt for the "normal" cruise control...
Old 02-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by madoon' post='526738' date='Feb 3 2008, 06:50 PM
although i think comfort access is necessary, i doubt it costs BMW half of what people are paying for it...

IMHO, the trophie goes to "Anthracite headliner",
as the car should come with a headliner with similar color, (black on black inter, gray, on gray interior, and so on)
so paying just to have the car with a decent (acceptable) color is a ripoff...
My car came with black anthracite headliner and I have grey interior???? None the less, they should all be black since real purpose is to cut down on glare/reflection on the windows.

What I don't understand is why Comfort access is $1000 on e60 and only $500 on some other models. BUT the biggest rip off to me is $400 for iPod adapter!!! :thumbsdown: Most cars today include it for free and in the next year more and more cars will simply have hard drives built in so music can just be transfered to the brain of the stereo system. Hope the engineers at BMW work this out.

Quick Reply: Biggest E60 Ripoff....