E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Biggest E60 Ripoff....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Once a car in this segment hits the $50K+ mark (base MSRP) there;

Should be no need for a 'Premium Package' all these items in this package should be standard.

Should be no charge for widely available colors, only for special order unique colors.

Should be no charge for Confort Access.

Should be no charge for any of the items listed in the Entertainment Options except Sat radio (because you have to subscribe).

Should not be a charge for Nav. or PDC.

BTW, that still leaves $19,259 worth of Options/Accessories not including 19' wheels, an additonal $4,000-$4,995.

Just my 2 cents,

Phill
Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Contributors

If BMW changed how it worked, you would have lots of people saying "I can't believe I paid $60,000 for this car which comes as standard with $10,000 worth of options I don't want".

I like the fact that I can customise which options I want. It's nice knowing that I have a well specced car, and when I see other E60's on the road, know that mine might be better than theirs I just live with the fact that ?x is how much the "shell" costs (albeit a very nice shell), and that ?y and ?z is how much the options cost. When I looked at my new car, I looked at the total price of the car with all of the options - I didn't break it in to component parts. I looked at the total cost of the car with all the options and then looked around to see what else was available in the car market. Nothing came close. Why does BMW need to drop the price of the options when so many people buy them - the pricing is worked out carefully, they know that the type of person that buys a brand new E60 probably isn't going to say "HOW MUCH?" for that option then refuse to buy it - the majority will just tick the box because it's an option they want, without considering the cost. I know it's not true for everyone, but it's true for enough of them to make the pricing work financially for their business. The amount of profit they make allows them to invest in R&D and quality ... and let's hope this all comes together for the F10 !

PS, PDC, Cup Holders, and many other options are standard even in the base model in the UK. But then in the US you get the HiFi standard as stereo, in some places I think the sunroof is standard? And every other country seems to have a different base model spec!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

[/quote]
But then in the US you get the HiFi standard as stereo, in some places I think the sunroof is standard? And every other country seems to have a different base model spec!
[/quote]

HiFi stereo is not standard in the US, sunroofs are.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hondik' post='527014' date='Feb 4 2008, 01:49 PM
Jesus you are right! Cupholders! OMG
Are these super special cupholders? The UK model 520d SE has cupholders in the front dash and rear armrest as std. We might get one or two trivial things you in the USA dont, but then you dont pay $54,000 dollars for an entry level (no options added) model with 177hp as we do. And for that you dont get the glovebox torch either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='527019' date='Feb 4 2008, 02:01 PM
I wonder why TV is locked when moving
watching the road ahead is one thing, watching letterman or friends is something complety different!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='527083' date='Feb 4 2008, 04:52 PM
But then in the US you get the HiFi standard as stereo, in some places I think the sunroof is standard? And every other country seems to have a different base model spec!

HiFi stereo is not standard in the US, sunroofs are.
ITNurse 0 Russ 1

Russ is actually correct. The HiFi stereo is standard in the US, in Europe you have you pay extra for it. Infact most people in the US think HiFI is actually the Logic 7 option which is even more expensive. But then we get the Individual too which is even more but you guys dont get.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Charge $130,000 each and fit them all with V10 engines, full leather and every possible option.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Jet Black, Natural Brown Leather, Dark Wood Trim, 6 sd MT, Sports Pkg., Comfort Access, Sunshades, Cold Weather Pkg., iPod & USB, Nav, Satellite Radio w/Logic7.

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='526744' date='Feb 3 2008, 05:00 PM
None of the options are a rip off ... because you don't _have_ to buy any of them. Anything is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Yes they are _expensive_ but then when you buy a BMW, what do you expect!

A rip off is defined as when "a person pays too much for something" - but that's all relative. Do i think the Satnav option in a BMW is expensive? Yes. Do I think the functionality in a ?300 tom tom is better? Yes. Do I think the integration of the BMW Satnav with the HUD outweighs the negatives? Yes!

There are many options that are expensive, but none of them are mandatory, and nobody forces you to tick the boxes on the options list.
Very well stated... my feelings exactly!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT (E61) Black Sapphire / Black Leather / bamboo. Steptronic, Full Aero Kit, 35% Tints. 18" Run Flats. All the goodies short of Active Cruise, Comfort Access and the safty options. 2002 BMW R1150R. Red, Corbin, PIAAs, Fiamm,

Per hapse if the frasing was "waste of money" instead of "rip off" ?

As in:

"In my oppinion, the biggest waste of money option is___________________"
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='526668' date='Feb 3 2008, 01:43 PM
I posted this about 2 years ago and received some interesting responses. In your opinion, what is the biggest ripoff option available on the E60?? I think that the award should go to Anthracite headliner. I ordered my car with a natural brown interior and bamboo trim. What color blind idiot made the decision to use a light gray headliner with that combination?? There is absolutely nothing else gray anywhere in the interior. IMO, they are just trying to milk me and whomever else bought it out of another $500. I also understand that in Canada and some other places the anthracite color is standard. What's your favorite??
I have the anthracite headliner looks perfect with nat brown int and saphirre black ext. IMO biggest rip off is sat radio and aux input for ipod

Quick Reply: Biggest E60 Ripoff....