E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Best wheels for 535?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='728904' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:02 AM
Your car won't be any lower than a normal rear-wheel drive i with Sport suspension. So, don't worry about scraping normal speed bumps, etc. Watch out for those parking curb things, though, esp. with the m-tech front.

H&R Sports springs are about the only thing offered now for the xi. Go to Allsprings.com or Turnermotorsport.com, or PM Nerweezy.

Leave it up to your SA? I don't recommend that! You need ET35-40 in front and ET40-45 in rear, typically. And x-Drive is not affected. And how did all of the cars on the showroom floor have 22's? Is this a used car dealership with bad taste? Also, do NOT have your dealership do the drop. Do NOT even mention the springs to them. If they find out about it, say goodbye to your warranty on the suspension for good. Find someone else.

Believe me, you don't want to go any bigger than 20's, esp. on the xi. Any bigger and your tire sidewall will be about an inch high. :thumbsdown:

Okayy thankss, My friend has a rim storee I could get him to do it, but I wouldnt trust him with my car lol.. And that means that everytime I take my car to the dealers I have to take the Rims and Springs off?
What are good rim company's? I feel so stupid right noww lol I dont know anything about cars!
can I order the rims and springs from the internet and install everthing by my selff? Im so confused..
Old 11-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by gs_535xi' post='728912' date='Nov 23 2008, 01:20 AM
Okayy thankss, My friend has a rim storee I could get him to do it, but I wouldnt trust him with my car lol.. And that means that everytime I take my car to the dealers I have to take the Rims and Springs off?
What are good rim company's? I feel so stupid right noww lol I dont know anything about cars!
can I order the rims and springs from the internet and install everthing by my selff? Im so confused..
Install yourself? Not likely based on what you just said about not knowing anything about cars. And even if you did, it's not an easy install. Don't feel stupid. You're just 17, and nobody knows this crap when just starting out. I didn't.

You don't take the springs or wheels off when going to the dealership. They are unlikely to even notice the drop, unless you start blabbing about the new rims, etc. Act like it never happened, and hopefully they won't even think to look. And if they do, oh well. The old ones can always be re-installed for whatever reason. Give this DIY to your shop buddy. It will help him a lot.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
H_R_Install_DIY2.doc (46.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Members

Arrow

And when you guys talk about offsets and specs, I have NO IDEA what that is, haha didnt even know they existed I thought you just put the screw in and your good to go!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by gs_535xi' post='728915' date='Nov 23 2008, 01:24 AM
And when you guys talk about offsets and specs, I have NO IDEA what that is, haha didnt even know they existed I thought you just put the screw in and your good to go!
Don't be afraid of the search button. Offsets and wheels are some of the most discussed topics on here. Like I said, I assume you want to go wider in the rear......ideally 8.5" front rims and 9.5" rear rims are the way to go to avoid rubbing issues, but you need the correct offsets so the wheels are pushed out far enough to look nice and flush with the fender, but not too far to avoid rubbing. The offsets control that...along with the tires & wheel widths factored in as well.

Personally, I think 20's will be too hard to find in the correct offsets....and there are so many more 19" rims already out there that WILL fit with no custom work. As for the brands out there, the 2 most common ways to go for the xi are the VMR CSL reps C and I already showed you (and owned), the NEW V710 VMR reps (based on the HRE P40 Monobloks) and the Miro reps of the 167 M6 rims. They Miro's don't have the perfect center bore, however, in the middle opening of the wheel...the hub. That is why so many xi owner use the CSL reps from VMR.....perfect specs. Non-OEM sized bores on rims can cause issues with vibration, since they are harder to seat perfectly on the hub, after locking down the lugs...even with centering rings.

VMR V710 link (also OEM-sized hubs): http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=62000&hl=v710
Get 'em powder coated in gunmetal!! Would look sick. Contact John @ Eurorev for details on finishes.

Miro reps (come in 20" too): http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...id=Miro_M6_346

Here's an AW 535xi like yours with 19" Miro 346's (are for sale also, and he's from Canada): http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry706910

BTW, you're welcome!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='728918' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:31 AM
Don't be afraid of the search button. Offsets and wheels are some of the most discussed topics on here. Like I said, I assume you want to go wider in the rear......ideally 8.5" front rims and 9.5" rear rims are the way to go to avoid rubbing issues, but you need the correct offsets so the wheels are pushed out far enough to look nice and flush with the fender, but not too far to avoid rubbing. The offsets control that...along with the tires & wheel widths factored in as well.

Personally, I think 20's will be too hard to find in the correct offsets....and there are so many more 19" rims already out there that WILL fit with no custom work. As for the brands out there, the 2 most common ways to go for the xi are the VMR CSL reps C and I already showed you (and owned), the NEW V710 VMR reps (based on the HRE P40 Monobloks) and the Miro reps of the 167 M6 rims. They Miro's don't have the perfect center bore, however, in the middle opening of the wheel...the hub. That is why so many xi owner use the CSL reps from VMR.....perfect specs. Non-OEM sized bores on rims can cause issues with vibration, since they are harder to seat perfectly on the hub, after locking down the lugs...even with centering rings.

VMR V710 link (also OEM-sized hubs): http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=62000&hl=v710
Get 'em powder coated in gunmetal!! Would look sick. Contact John @ Eurorev for details on finishes.

Miro reps (come in 20" too): http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...id=Miro_M6_346

Here's an AW 535xi like yours with 19" Miro 346's (are for sale also, and he's from Canada): http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry706910

BTW, you're welcome!

I like the Micro Reps they look sick on too solids car, So I'll go with those and h&r springs and thats all I need? Can you send me a link to the H&r springs incase I choose the wrong ones... thank youu Hopefull I can get everything ordered soon and installed after the winter and put soem pics upp! and were did too solid get his fog lights from? Thats another mod I am going to do.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gs_535xi' post='728929' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:21 AM
I like the Micro Reps they look sick on too solids car, So I'll go with those and h&r springs and thats all I need? Can you send me a link to the H&r springs incase I choose the wrong ones... thank youu Hopefull I can get everything ordered soon and installed after the winter and put soem pics upp! and were did too solid get his fog lights from? Thats another mod I am going to do.
The fogs are HOEN 9006 bulbs...easy mod. I had them too.
Hoen fogs - 9006: http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog.htm

As for the rims, no need to rush into a decision. Winter is a long, arduous road ahead. If you really like the Miro's, why not buy TooSolid's for a discount? It would be worth shooting him a PM. You'd get tires, wheels & TPMS (maybe)...just would need some new centering rings.

Oh...don't forget the TPMS (tire pressure monitors). They are $200 from tirerack, and you will need these. It's easier to buy new ones vs. using the ones already installed unless you don't plan on using your 18's. If not, take them out and transfer them. If I were you, I'd buy some good snow tires for the 18's you have on now and then 19's strictly Summer rims. Your car will be a beast in the snow with Dunlop 3D's or comparable!

H&R's: Part #:29146-1 : http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...DUCT_ID=29146-1

After you lower the car, it will need an alignment....very important. The mechanic will most likely have to remove the Camber pins on the top of the struts in order to get the front-end back into spec...easily removed. After it's lowered and aligned, enjoy your new, firmer riding, better handling/looking xi.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

I just went through this on my 535XI. Everything C and DrLev are telling you is right on. These guys helped me out alot. I ended up with the VMR VB3's. I also liked the 710's. It was a tough decision, but with the 3 trillion pictures of C's car available for me to view, I was able to see how good the VB3's looked. VMR is going to release the 710 later this month in gunmetal and black also, if you like that wheel. Also if you go with the 710, you can get the fronts in a 35mm offset, so you wouldn't need to think about any spacers there. I liked some of the Miro wheels, but when it came right down to it, I felt less was more. By that I mean, I didn't want to use hub rings or spacers. I have read where hub rings can cause problems with vibrations sometimes. I know C did put spacers on his car with the VB3's without any problems, but the car looks fine without them and that is just 1 less part that could cause me a headache.
As for the drop, yes there is that gap. I'll attack that soon. I just got the wheels installed this week, and I also ordered the M-tech kit and trunk spoiler, so until those things are installed, the drop will have to wait. When it comes to the springs, you'll have to make another decision. The ride will become more harsh when you put the H&R springs on there. You have to consider the shocks too. I know some guys have left the stock shocks and just put new springs on there but from what I have read, the ride is a little bouncy if you do that and the shocks will wear out sooner. I'm still trying to decide where to go there. Ride quality is important to me. C can chime in on that one. I think, if I'm not mistaken, that he told me he left the factory shocks on his XI and just changed the springs. He will correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

If you want to see the car with the gap, here is a link to pics of my car. My XI
Old 11-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='729006' date='Nov 23 2008, 08:54 AM
I just went through this on my 535XI. Everything C and DrLev are telling you is right on. These guys helped me out alot. When it comes to the springs, you'll have to make another decision. The ride will become more harsh when you put the H&R springs on there. You have to consider the shocks too. I know some guys have left the stock shocks and just put new springs on there but from what I have read, the ride is a little bouncy if you do that and the shocks will wear out sooner. I'm still trying to decide where to go there. Ride quality is important to me. C can chime in on that one. I think, if I'm not mistaken, that he told me he left the factory shocks on his XI and just changed the springs. He will correct me if I'm wrong on that one.
Unless something changed since earlier this year, I don't believe you can buy aftermarket shocks for the xi, and there are no coilover systems available either. C and I both did H&R springs only with the OEM shocks. The ride will be a bit bouncier and harsh, but it's the price you pay for lowering an xi or any car without full coilovers.

My car had problems with the H&R's, but no one else's seems to have.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

The only lowering option for the E60xi are Springs. The only company that makes them is H&R. Well, actually, so does Hamann, but they are twice as much and they are made by H&R as well. There are currently no coilovers or shocks for the E60xi to pair up with these lowering springs. Unlike the 3 series XI models, the E60 XI does not get them same suspension options. It really sucks.

Also, due to the AWD system, you can only do a rear sway bar on the E60xi. You can't, repeat CAN NOT, do a front. Another annoying thing about the E60 xi models.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='729117' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:13 PM
Unless something changed since earlier this year, I don't believe you can buy aftermarket shocks for the xi, and there are no coilover systems available either. C and I both did H&R springs only with the OEM shocks. The ride will be a bit bouncier and harsh, but it's the price you pay for lowering an xi or any car without full coilovers.

My car had problems with the H&R's, but no one else's seems to have.
I'm curious now Dr., what problems did you have with the H&R's?

Quick Reply: Best wheels for 535?