E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Best wheels for 535?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='729146' date='Nov 23 2008, 02:47 PM
I'm curious now Dr., what problems did you have with the H&R's?
Do you have an hour to spare? It was all bumpstop related.

Don't be scared off by my original thread title or the thread itself. Like I said, I seemed to be the only one who had issues..... http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ump+stops\
Old 11-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

WOW! I just finished reading that thread. I can't help but be concerned about what you went through. The last thing I want to do is ruin the ride quality of a great driving car. Now that some time has passed, are you the only XI owner who has experienced this problem?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='729246' date='Nov 23 2008, 05:33 PM
WOW! I just finished reading that thread. I can't help but be concerned about what you went through. The last thing I want to do is ruin the ride quality of a great driving car. Now that some time has passed, are you the only XI owner who has experienced this problem?
As far as I can tell, I was the only one....but it's possible that no one else really has even looked to see how much clearance they have between the top of the strut and bump stop after the drop. H&R does not include any directions in the box re: the stops.

If I was going to do it again, I'd probably try to find some after-market bump stops instead of cutting the OEM ones. But they definitely had to be cut in my case. Once they were cut and I had some clearance back, the ride was much improved, as you can imagine. If you think about it, the car dropped around 1.5" front and back. BMW's already have very little strut travel as is from the factory. My M5 had merely over 1" between the stop and the top of the strut in front. And I've read where some M3's have only about 1/2". I think the xi is similar....I had one xi member check his for me, pre-drop. Common sense tells you that if there's only a 1/2" or 1" prior to the drop, then dropping it 1.5" could mean only one thing....have to trim the stops or you will be sitting on them.

It's still a harsh ride no matter how you slice it. Going over those highway bridge expansion joints would rattle my fillings. It's too bad Eibach doesn't make xi springs. They ride more like the stock springs. Many find the H&R springs to be too harsh, and I know many of the M5Board guys have swapped theirs for Eibach's as a result. Like I said, some folks love the H&R's and have no issues, but if you are going to do them with the xi, just make sure you or your shop measures the strut travel before and after. It might save you a lot of grief.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='728868' date='Nov 23 2008, 01:33 PM
that jack in the picture was fully unloaded. Imagine what 21's would look like. And, btw....wheel changes don't affect the warranty in any way.

Before: (duh)
Attachment 65562
this photo is not right got the gap itis much lower
when you jack up a car the subspention are fully opened so when you lower the car down the subspention need to be run in. eg take it around a block and then take photo.
The gap will be less.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Members

Now im scared to get rims and the springs, I dont want the ride quality to be affected its perfect right now...
Cant I just take it my dealers performance center were I got my exhaust and spoiler from and tell them to lower the car 2 inches and put on 21inch rims, Im pretty sure they will order everything for me and do a really good job. Everytime I go to the dealers they always have customers getting aftermarket parts from there like rims and exhaust and they all look amazing. And my S.A. that I got the carr off will give me a good deal because I bought the car cash. And ill ask them the offsets and ill tell them what you guys say..

http://www.hoen-usa.com/
and from that website what fog lights do I pick??? I want a white/blue look.. theres so many to choose from. An is quantity 1 or 2?? and ar ethey easy to install?
Old 11-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Members

I really like the HRE 890R... And it says they can me custom fit?? Could they work?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gs_535xi' post='729353' date='Nov 23 2008, 08:51 PM
I really like the HRE 890R... And it says they can me custom fit?? Could they work?

And how much would they costt in canadian currencyy?
Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by gs_535xi' post='729338' date='Nov 23 2008, 07:31 PM
Now im scared to get rims and the springs, I dont want the ride quality to be affected its perfect right now...
Cant I just take it my dealers performance center were I got my exhaust and spoiler from and tell them to lower the car 2 inches and put on 21inch rims, Im pretty sure they will order everything for me and do a really good job. Everytime I go to the dealers they always have customers getting aftermarket parts from there like rims and exhaust and they all look amazing. And my S.A. that I got the carr off will give me a good deal because I bought the car cash. And ill ask them the offsets and ill tell them what you guys say..

and from that website what fog lights do I pick??? I want a white/blue look.. theres so many to choose from. An is quantity 1 or 2?? and ar ethey easy to install?

I can tell you this. Just going to the 19's, I can feel a difference in the ride. It's still good, but I feel the road a little bit more. If you put 21's on this car, you will have a ride that is more harsh, even if you don't touch the springs. There is not a lot of rubber on those tires.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by gs_535xi' post='729338' date='Nov 23 2008, 04:31 PM

U're going to need to order the 9006 bulbs, since you have an M-tech kit. DrLev99 posted pics of member too_solids e60 earlier in this thread...his fogs are hoen 9006 bulbs (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=62942&hl=)...

For white/blue, you're going to want something around 8000K
Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='729320' date='Nov 23 2008, 07:12 PM
this photo is not right got the gap itis much lower
when you jack up a car the subspention are fully opened so when you lower the car down the subspention need to be run in. eg take it around a block and then take photo.
The gap will be less.
That photo is over a year old! And since I don't own that car anymore, I certainly can't take it around the block. You are right, though.....it didn't have time to settle in that picture, but it was still a BIG gap.

Quick Reply: Best wheels for 535?