E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Best Diagnoistic Software for Enthusiast?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forget to mention my car is 2005 545i
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Someone had posted this a while back and it cleared up a lot of confusion and help me better understand the basics. Don't know if it helps but here it is anyway.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561237
Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Someone had posted this a while back and it cleared up a lot of confusion and help me better understand the basics. Don't know if it helps but here it is anyway.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561237
good read, thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by zinchuk77
AchtungE60, you seem to know all about it, I am also looking to get the cable/software package from these guys from their ebay store for $159, this one http://www.ebay.com/...ht_26035wt_1270
does this look right to you, is this what i need? it says it comes with a bunch of software such as : Progman v41 USB OBD Package DIS SSS NCSExpert INPA EDIABAS....do i need all of them or does one do everything? do you know what each one of those specialty is, i know progman v41 is the official bmw software but not sure if i would use others. thanks in advance for your comments. Also, i know i need to have the car plugged to a power supply while using progmanv 41 for coding, do you know one that's good and not expensive, i have this one, will this work? http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004EIDC3G
I've been using this stuff for over a year. Started out with 32 until I seen the 41 then I HAD to upgrade. lol.
That first link you posted looks good if you are not a 2008 vehicle, which you aren't. If you did have then you need the other package they offer. No you will need pretty much everything... if one doesn't do it the other will. You need to use the ediabas server in order to communicate via Progman and you will need it for link between cables. It's hard to break it down but yes, you'll need most of that stuff bro. You do not need the car plugged into a power supply for Progman with this seller's stuff it's not the way they designed it. But if you're going to do some major updates that will take more than 20 min I would recommend it. And no that battery charger will not work. That's a trickle-charger bro. I have a schumacher that I use but it was about $500. Again, it depends what you're doing. If the measures plan says it will take a long time then abort and do one module at a time. I have updated all the software on a car and it took about 40 min total and used no charger in between. 90AH battery that is fully charged with ahead of time using a trickle charger like yours is perfect and will not dip. Obviously keep the lights off, and radio off etc etc.... btw make sure nothing on the windshield and windows are closed i made that mistake during an update.

When you update the DSC it is tied to SZL(steering colum) which is tied to windshield wipers, ABS etc.... and the wipers started for a few minutes and each window goes up and down too so run the cable out of the door lol. Anyway yeah that looks perfect for pre- 2008 cars. I actually got a universal cable which does all BMW's through the 1990's. Good stuff.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

http://www.bimmerfes...ad.php?t=561237
I read this a while back and this is what I say when i mean "disinformation". Whoever posted this is reading from a book someone wrote or copying from somewhere else. I have to disagree with some of this from real experience and I program a lot and not just BMW's and MINIs but VAGs and Benz too.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I read this a while back and this is what I say when i mean "disinformation". Whoever posted this is reading from a book someone wrote or copying from somewhere else. I have to disagree with some of this from real experience and I program a lot and not just BMW's and MINIs but VAGs and Benz too.
So do you have info or links to any other information sources?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Which part do you disagree with and why? Just so I don't have to find out the hard way.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 AM
Members

AchtungE60, thanks so much for your elaborate response, i really appreciate it. You say you do lots of coding, where are you located? i was hoping to contact you and maybe get some education if you dont mind.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Members

Hi All,
What software are you using for coding and updating (SSS/ProgMan) and have you it running as a VM?
I have spend over a week downloading different configurations and can't get anything to work DIS/SSS apart from INPA/Edibas/NCS-Export using a USB D/K line cable.

I very interested in the software updates done on the car taking 40 minutes, I am also looking at coding the car (upgraded battery, voice dial module) etc...

Any info on the software and config your using and where to get them would be great!

Thanks In Advance,
Mark
Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
So do you have info or links to any other information sources?
I have tons of information stored upstairs but not online.

Which part do you disagree with and why? Just so I don't have to find out the hard way.
I'm not going to rewrite a lot of that or point things out that's just tooooo time consuming. Sorry. Sometimes sink or swim is the best way. Well for me anyway. Years of reading, programming, encoding, flashing etc and a photographic memory get me where I'm at. Most people will do/read enough for their own car without understanding much behind it at all. For instance, a few docs that I'm willing to put online just as an example are attached. One is about IBS - 3er is not much different than 5er and the LWS is the same concept.

Dealers have limited support in that they do not really CARE. You will get a load of disinformation from each one. I've gotten a lot of work from all over the world to correct issues that dealers just cant do. Sometimes they say they can, charge kidney or two and then guess what? not the issue! and you're out a few kidneys. lol

I do have to say that the E60 and E65 have really opened my mind up to a whole new BMW world and now I'm looking forward to the F chassis'
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
manuals-3er-e90-12.pdf (1.50 MB, 318 views)
File Type: pdf
henkel.pdf (688.7 KB, 1835 views)

Quick Reply: Best Diagnoistic Software for Enthusiast?