E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bent Wheel - shop in LA/OC to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Nice! Glad you got it resolved so fast.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 01-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Nice! Glad you got it resolved so fast.

Michael
Acute Performance
LOL - resolved in 12hours. I don't have the time right now to drop it off to get it fixed. I would imagine that all shops are backed up due to all these freakin pothole incidents we hear on the news in SoCal anyways.

Looked into repair and possibly(?) getting reimbursed, but eh... City of Los Angeles, will conveniently lose my paperwork.

Thanks again Michael! You are the man for outstanding customer service!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Man sorry this happened. Both you and ktlocklear on your new wheels! It seems Michael went beyond on this one.

A situation like yours happened to a friend of mine. He had a shop right his wheel off as irrepairable so that he could justify getting a new replacement. He eventually got reimbursed. It took awhile but he did.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Members

Unfortunately, that is a big problem with after market wheels. I bought two sets of wheels for two cars. During the first year I had to buy 7 wheels to replace the bent ones and I don't even remember hitting anything to bend them. Nothing but factory BMW wheels for me from now on.

Ed
Old 01-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Members

Duplication.. Deleted.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

At $220 to fix, you might as well get a new wheel instead -- which you did and Michael delivered.

Though I understand the underlying work involved to fix wheels, it still boggles the mind how expensive it is to fix.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Hi Ed,

You're just not buying the correct aftermarket wheels.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by hurst01
Unfortunately, that is a big problem with after market wheels. I bought two sets of wheels for two cars. During the first year I had to buy 7 wheels to replace the bent ones and I don't even remember hitting anything to bend them. Nothing but factory BMW wheels for me from now on.

Ed
Old 01-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by hurst01

Ed
Do a search here or on other forums. BMW OE wheels are not immune to damage. There's a guy here that had 3 of his OE wheels cracked (I think 124s) on different occasions. He didn't know how that happened. Personally I would rather have a bent wheel that can be fixed than a cracked one. I've seen threads on bent 172, 138, etc...

Also, think of it this way, if his wheel didn't sacrifice itself, the suspension would take a bigger hit. That could be more costly.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by balbs
Also, think of it this way, if his wheel didn't sacrifice itself, the suspension would take a bigger hit. That could be more costly.
+1. Although it was an unpleasant experience replacing a wheel, I am glad that the wheel took the impact and saved the suspension. Thank god.

Went to 'Wheel Warehouse' in Anahiem to get alignment done subsequently. Legit place using Hunter Alignment equipment.

balbs - We're all waiting for you to make your wheel decision. Let's see some stunna 20's on your ride soon.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Members

I realize that factory BMW wheels are not immune to damage. I am also smart enough to tell when I hit something whether a wheel should bend or not. If a wheel should bend every time you cross at a railroad crossing or cross an expansion joint on the Interstate it is a crappy wheel. I have been in the automotive repair business for probably close to 50 years. I build high performance street rods, and have built a few race cars in my years.
I purchased two sets of M5 replica wheels for an E39 a few years back. That is EIGHT wheels. During the first year I had to replace 7 of them because they were bent. I certainly would hope that this is not the case for ALL after market wheels. It could be that I just got a batch of bad ones. Crap! I could go out in the drive and straighten it somewhat with a Dead-Blow hammer.
I am sure that a lot of the aftermarket wheels are very good quality, problem is, which ones? I can't find anyone that will guarantee that their wheels will not bend any easier than the factory OEM wheels. I always get the same answer, "Our wheels have a guarantee for the finish of the wheel for XXX years". If you can not buy a set of wheels and expect them to make a trip without having to replace them when you get back, its crazy.
I am not asking for much, I want two sets of BMW M3 wheels, either the Style 67 19", or the Style 220. I have found a couple sets but they are kind of rough and by the time I have to have them refinished the cost is out of sight. I have seen some fine looking M3 wheels for sale but am kind of afraid of them, especially when the price is $399 for a set of four. The cost is much less than an original set of OEM wheels but if you have to replace several of them because of being bent, there is no savings.
I will bet you good money that there are a lot of people driving around out there on wheels that they don't even realize are bent. Part of the problem in that is the larger the wheel diameter is, the less rubber for cushioning you have. The wheels ride so rough that you could not tell if they were bent or not. A lot of drivers ride around thinking that maybe the wheels are out of balance, but instead, they are bent. A 19" wheel is the absolute largest diameter wheel that a BMW should ever have. Anything larger than that and you can't have enough tire there to protect the wheel.
It takes a pretty good lick to bend a suspension component, they are designed to take abuse to an extent. The wheels, on the other hand should be designed to take a little abuse
Think about it! You are driving around in a vehicle that weighs probably 3500 to 4000 pounds. The wheels have to be designed to take a good bit of punishment from that much weight driving around on them. I can see it all now! I get in one of my Street Rods and drop the hammer and light it up. That is punishment. Suspension components are designed to take punishment. Have you ever watched a BMW on a road race when the driver bent a wheel and got out and said "Thank God I had crappy wheels and didn't bend a suspension component"? If you bend a wheel and it didn't blow the tire, you could have crappy wheels. Wheels should be able to take punishment just as much as the suspension, they are not meant to be the weak link. That is also why you have shocks.

Ed