E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Replacing

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i with sport package

This is a very helpful thread, but can someone walk me through the steps needed if you purchase the battery from autozone? Including battery type/specs? I have a 2008 535i that appears to need a new battery and I really do not want to pay the stealership if I can avoid it but also have everything working smooth and proper. Thanks guys!

I am looking for an A-Z explanation of what to do to get it right!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08-535i sport
This is a very helpful thread, but can someone walk me through the steps needed if you purchase the battery from autozone? Including battery type/specs? I have a 2008 535i that appears to need a new battery and I really do not want to pay the stealership if I can avoid it but also have everything working smooth and proper. Thanks guys!

I am looking for an A-Z explanation of what to do to get it right!

You need to do a little research. First get the model number off your battery (pull side panel off passenger side in trunk and get a flashlight. Record the number and google the number on the web and you will find equivalent numbers.

The important thing is to get the right type of battery and exact size with venting capability.

If you perform a search on this forum knowing the battery type/model number you will get exact model numbers as an example for an Autozone battery.

Question the Autozone manager to insure that they have done BMWs before because the cables cannot be man-handled or roughly pried off the battery. The positive lead contains an explosive charge that disconnects the battery if airbags are deployed in an accident. The negative lead contains a microprocessor and sensors (IBS) that is very expensive to replace if damaged. If you have any questions about the Autozone capabilities you can buy the battery and take it to an independent BMW repair shop for installation.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Cybernezz
Hey guys,

Just incase it helps - I've been through the process and thought I'd let you know...

2 parts to changing the battery over.
  1. Programming/coding the new battery
  2. Registering the new battery.
Programming/coding is not required if you buy the same battery. Same AH rating and battery type. (there or there abouts anyway). Programming basically tells your car electrics how to charge the battery and at what rate.

Registering the battery basically records in the system - at what point you changed the battery. i.e. 60,000 miles - 9/4/13.

Registering the battery is straight forward / done via DIS. Good if you intend of selling the car in the future.
I guess you could put a label on the top of the battery with the date/car mileage on it?

Good Luck with it.
Thank you so much. Please tell me what DIS is.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Darnell Moore is correct. There are two steps in software to configuring the battery.

The first step (programming-coding) is to tell the car what type of battery you are using. BMW uses two types:
Standard lead acid battery - White case
Absorbant Glass Mat - Black case

These batteries charge differently and the computer will drive the alternator differently to charge each in an optimum fashion based upon what type is stored in the computer.

This is why I suggested that you take the battery PN off the battery and buy the same type battery as came with your car, the same color, same dimensions and the same cranking amps. Then you can skip the programming-coding step.

The second step, registration, or telling the computer how old the battery is, is then optional.