E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW 545i E60 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW545i, Mercedes Benz 320S, Honda Civic 4dr. Si , Toyota Soluna Vios.

Hi Everyone,

I have this BMW 545i - year 11/2003 and to this present, I have no problem with the engine. But a friend of mine said that this model gives a lot of problem with over heating. Please clarify me whether it is a myth or a real fact. Thank you.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:47 AM
Members

According to few research on other forums as well, the 5 series in general water pump go bad after certain miles. Most people experience such issue once they reach 80k+ miles which cause the over heat. So just keep that in mind...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Like any other car, parts start to wear and after 75k miles you just want to keep an eye on things. My water pump and expansion tank went between 80-90k miles. The expansion tank is known to leak from the seem underneath and hoses will get old and harden eventual. Normal wear I think.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

I also have a 545i and knock on wood, it's been running flawlessly. I also agree that while the engine is great, other parts will require replacing like the water pump, thermostats, etc.

Love my 545i!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Giowizzy
According to few research on other forums as well, the 5 series in general water pump go bad after certain miles. Most people experience such issue once they reach 80k+ miles which cause the over heat. So just keep that in mind...
Thank you my friend it has been quite a relief. I will keep taht in mind when my car reach 80k+.Cheers.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Like any other car, parts start to wear and after 75k miles you just want to keep an eye on things. My water pump and expansion tank went between 80-90k miles. The expansion tank is known to leak from the seem underneath and hoses will get old and harden eventual. Normal wear I think.
I always check under my hood almost every morning before I use for the day. Well I keep that in mind about the year of the car and its wear & tear.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Shlooky
I also have a 545i and knock on wood, it's been running flawlessly. I also agree that while the engine is great, other parts will require replacing like the water pump, thermostats, etc.

Love my 545i!
well you are right. This car is The Ultimate Driving Machine. I have to be very cautious about the gas pedal.I dare not push it hard because it runs like a mustang. But it is fun to drive this car.Thank you for reminding me about some of the require parts.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 545i is a monster! Pure fun on wheels.

Not the greatest engine gasket and seal design but careful maintenance (frequent oil changes) and avoiding overheating can keep them quite happy for a long time.

RE Cooling System - Very easy if the cooling system fails and overheats to ruin gaskets (the aluminum parts of the engine over expand and break the gasket seals). Not to mention you could be in the wrong place (stuck in a traffic jam) when it overheats, preventing you from getting off the road and turning the engine off quickly, and do serious damage to the engine itself (warped heads, etc.). And weigh the cost of towing, inconvenience etc. Murphy's law says it will happen on the way to the airport while going on vacation.

Proactive maintenance after 85K miles is the key. You will have a cooling system failure. The only question is when. If you repair each part piecemeal as it breaks you will have many chances to overheat the engine.

Save up a fund and do the water pump, thermostat, hoses and coolant expansion tank and you will be able to sleep like a baby for at least another 60K miles.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
The 545i is a monster! Pure fun on wheels.

Not the greatest engine gasket and seal design but careful maintenance (frequent oil changes) and avoiding overheating can keep them quite happy for a long time.

RE Cooling System - Very easy if the cooling system fails and overheats to ruin gaskets (the aluminum parts of the engine over expand and break the gasket seals). Not to mention you could be in the wrong place (stuck in a traffic jam) when it overheats, preventing you from getting off the road and turning the engine off quickly, and do serious damage to the engine itself (warped heads, etc.). And weigh the cost of towing, inconvenience etc. Murphy's law says it will happen on the way to the airport while going on vacation.

Proactive maintenance after 85K miles is the key. You will have a cooling system failure. The only question is when. If you repair each part piecemeal as it breaks you will have many chances to overheat the engine.

Save up a fund and do the water pump, thermostat, hoses and coolant expansion tank and you will be able to sleep like a baby for at least another 60K miles.
Really sound advice. I'll do cooling stuff at 80k.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Sapphire black -18' M5 wheels -Sport pack -LED Angel's

How can us e60 owners know when our cars are overheating??? NO TEMP GAUGE!!!!!

Quick Reply: BMW 545i E60 Engine