E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Registration Too Much Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 06:17 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530d msport Lci 2007

Originally Posted by scottalexander
Does your 5w solar powered trickle charger look like this one from Amazon:
Questions:

Are you using the alligator clips on the terminal block under the hood or connecting it some other way that is permanent?

Where do you place the solar plate so it doesn't get stolen?

Did you get one with an LED display?

Is the device intelligent and have a floating charge so you don't overcharge the battery when its connected all day?
if you need a trickle charger then surely there’s an underlying problem, you would be better off finding the problem and fixing it rather than putting a band aid solar panal on it
The following users liked this post:
donpb (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 06:39 AM
New Members

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2010 528i e60
Engine: N52k

I can see a few applications for the solar trickle charger.

Let's say you are skiing or camping for a month and the car is just sitting.

For all those retired people living in apartments (that don't drive often) or have access to a garage power point the solar plate could be valuable.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:08 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

It is similar.
Questions:

Are you using the alligator clips on the terminal block under the hood or connecting it some other way that is permanent?
I use the loops to attach to the terminal block.
The panel is placed under the rear window and I ran a long wire to the front terminal.
No.
Is the device intelligent and have a floating charge so you don't overcharge the battery when its connected all day?
There is no danger of overcharging the battery since the panel is barely 5 watts and really just makes up the normal resting discharge the battery might have. Also only operates under daylight conditions, so never long enough to over charge a battery. It does prolong battery life, as acid batteries like to be under charge all the time.

Last edited by FormerE30Owner; 10-05-2020 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:15 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Redballs1
if you need a trickle charger then surely there’s an underlying problem, you would be better off finding the problem and fixing it rather than putting a band aid solar panal on it
I don't use the solar panel because I need it, but because I want to prolong the life of the battery. Actually, a trickle charger is recommended by BMW, if the car is not used often and doesn't have the opportunity to fully recharge the battery when the car is used
Old 10-05-2020, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by redballs1
if you need a trickle charger then surely there’s an underlying problem, you would be better off finding the problem and fixing it rather than putting a band aid solar panel on it
+1
Old 10-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Questions:

On my e36, I used to use one of those and still have it actually.

I had it on the dash inside of the car and so no worries about anyone stealing it. I plugged it in via the cig lighter socket, but on the e36, the socket does not go to sleep. No worries about over charging because its trickle charge (mine was 1.5W) and then its not on all the time (well maybe if you live in that part of Alaska where the sun shines 6 months out of the year).
The following users liked this post:
FormerE30Owner (10-05-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I told the dude at the auto parts store that I would test the new battery just to be sure. Load test passed but with my old battery, the voltage sprung back to normal immediately after removing the load.

I thought that was a good sign but the Bentley Repair Manual states that if the battery immediately recovers, its bad. A good battery will recover slowly. Naw man really? Ok lets see. I checked the new battery and the voltage recovered slowly. Hmm.

Last edited by donpb; 10-06-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:50 AM
New Members

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2010 528i e60
Engine: N52k

Originally Posted by Redballs1
273246877930 is the item number on ebay.co.uk or the description is 12V/24V LED Car Cigarette Socket Voltmeter Voltage Battery Tester Detector Meter, i’ve even cut one down and made it a permanent fixture, i’ll post a picture later, for the price of these they should be in every toolkit
I just bought one of the cigarette lighter voltage meters and used it today for the first time.

I plugged it into the cigarette lighter and here's what I learned.

I pressed the start button

Within 1 second the voltage reading was down to 10.7 volts (this must have been battery voltage?)

Within 2 seconds the reading was 12.1 volts

Within 4 seconds the reading was at 14.4 volts (this must have been alternator voltage)

For the next 15 minutes of regular driving the reading fluctuated up and down between 14.1 volts and 14.3 volts

When the car is idling the reading was steady at 14.2 volts

It was apparent the DME was intelligently trying to monitor and manage the voltage.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:47 PM
New Members

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xiT Touring, N54, Individual Audio
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54 3.0L Twin Turbo

Something to think about also is that your LCI car has the "efficient dynamics" feature - a form of brake energy recovery where the alternator is disengaged by the engine management system as much as possible, except when coasting and decelerating to help conserve fuel. I don't know how apparent that will be if you're monitoring your voltage while driving.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

It was apparent the DME was intelligently trying to monitor and manage the voltage.
DME receives data from the IBS and then controls the alternator output accordingly.

Quick Reply: Battery Registration Too Much Info