E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Battery Registration Too Much Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
I don't think that your load test is conclusive. But, you will see when you bring the battery in to the store. Here's hoping it is only the battery.
The auto parts store is like 1/2 mile away. If it happens to pass on their battery load tester, so be it. I won't lose any sleep over it. If it fails, I get a FREE replacement.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:45 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by donpb
The auto parts store is like 1/2 mile away. If it happens to pass on their battery load tester, so be it. I won't lose any sleep over it. If it fails, I get a FREE replacement.
You say "if it happens to pass on their battery load tester, so be it", but then what? Check alternator?
Old 10-03-2020, 06:57 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530d msport Lci 2007

You say "if it happens to pass on their battery load tester, so be it", but then what? Check alternator?
he has already checked the alternator and it’s putting out more than is required, 5 posts back and you’re doubting that the problem is either the alternator or the battery and is probably a parasitic draw. These cars are plagued with low battery/poor cranking problems for a number of proven reasons, i have never seen anyone conclusivly diagnose a parasitic draw. But i have heard the theory many times. The OP is working through the problem with structure and logic, he has proved his alternator and has proved his battery can take and hold a charge although the battery collapses under a load. Does that not point to a failing battery? You’re not being helpful by disagreeing and contradicting everyone else’s and somtimes your own opinions, are you an engineer by any chance?
Old 10-03-2020, 08:09 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.

Originally Posted by Redballs1
he has already checked the alternator and it’s putting out more than is required, 5 posts back and you’re doubting that the problem is either the alternator or the battery and is probably a parasitic draw. These cars are plagued with low battery/poor cranking problems for a number of proven reasons, i have never seen anyone conclusivly diagnose a parasitic draw. But i have heard the theory many times. The OP is working through the problem with structure and logic, he has proved his alternator and has proved his battery can take and hold a charge although the battery collapses under a load. Does that not point to a failing battery? You’re not being helpful by disagreeing and contradicting everyone else’s and somtimes your own opinions, are you an engineer by any chance?
I am not disagreeing nor contradicting anyone, just pointing out the inconsistencies in the troubleshooting. It does look like perhaps a weak battery, but lets just wait and see what transpires at the shop, which is the first thing that the OP should have done.
BTW, its not by chance that I am an engineer and spare me the usual remarks about argumentative engineers.
Salut,
Old 10-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

I am not disagreeing nor contradicting anyone, just pointing out the inconsistencies in the troubleshooting. It does look like perhaps a weak battery, but lets just wait and see what transpires at the shop, which is the first thing that the OP should have done.
BTW, its not by chance that I am an engineer and spare me the usual remarks about argumentative engineers.
Salut,
(I'm an Engineer too for almost 30 years. I've been in Electronics since I was 11.)

I just got back from the auto parts store. They did an hour test after fully charging. I was pretty sure my battery was bad. I get there and to my utter amazement, he says the battery is good. I'm like, wha?

I am quite sure it failed under load. He says, well the machine says its good. I said, did you test it under load? He said the machine did and it sits there. I said that's not a load test, that's storage. What load did you put on it, how much amperage and for how long, where is the printout you're supposed to give me so I can check? He said he threw it away.

I said, I told you it fully charges and also held storage charge for three days. Car starts fine too. It fails under load though. You need to test it under load. He comes over with the load tester, hooks it up and starts the test, it then says battery too low to continue. Charge battery to continue. I said, ok so you charged my battery fully and now its under voltage upon applying a load. What does that tell you? He immediately gave me a new battery.

Last edited by donpb; 10-03-2020 at 10:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FormerE30Owner (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

LOL that funny. I dont even think it was tested correctly to begin with. I love my advance. Since I am in there almost every day they replace batteries and parts for me without testing or questions. It sucks because I move often so I have to build that rapport every few years with a new store.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:55 AM
New Members

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2010 528i e60
Engine: N52k

Good work pressuring them to give you a new battery.

You know how Tesla has all their charging stations across the country?

For people like you where your car doesn't have access to a 110v power point for a trickle charger, there ought to be trickle charging stations. For example, at the mall when you know your going to be in there for a few hours.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:49 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
(I'm an Engineer too for almost 30 years. I've been in Electronics since I was 11.)

I just got back from the auto parts store. They did an hour test after fully charging. I was pretty sure my battery was bad. I get there and to my utter amazement, he says the battery is good. I'm like, wha?

I am quite sure it failed under load. He says, well the machine says its good. I said, did you test it under load? He said the machine did and it sits there. I said that's not a load test, that's storage. What load did you put on it, how much amperage and for how long, where is the printout you're supposed to give me so I can check? He said he threw it away.

I said, I told you it fully charges and also held storage charge for three days. Car starts fine too. It fails under load though. You need to test it under load. He comes over with the load tester, hooks it up and starts the test, it then says battery too low to continue. Charge battery to continue. I said, ok so you charged my battery fully and now its under voltage upon applying a load. What does that tell you? He immediately gave me a new battery.
Good for you. The problem for most folks trying to get a shop to make good on the "warranty" for their battery, is that the shop will say that "the machine says your battery is good" when in fact it is bad. If your warranty has run out, then of course you need a new battery, even if the battery is still good.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:53 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by scottalexander
Good work pressuring them to give you a new battery.

You know how Tesla has all their charging stations across the country?

For people like you where your car doesn't have access to a 110v power point for a trickle charger, there ought to be trickle charging stations. For example, at the mall when you know your going to be in there for a few hours.
I have attached a 5 watt solar panel to "boost" terminals to trickle charge the battery when ever it is parked outdoors, which is pretty much all the time, since I don't have a garage either at home or at work.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:34 AM
New Members

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2010 528i e60
Engine: N52k

Does your 5w solar powered trickle charger look like this one from Amazon:
Questions:

Are you using the alligator clips on the terminal block under the hood or connecting it some other way that is permanent?

Where do you place the solar plate so it doesn't get stolen?

Did you get one with an LED display?

Is the device intelligent and have a floating charge so you don't overcharge the battery when its connected all day?

Quick Reply: Battery Registration Too Much Info