E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD NEWS!!!....Rear Subframe Bushing worn.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525d

I used the yellow ones.

Quarta2six--> I don't think you will find a DIY on motor mount replacement, it's a pretty big task.
You will need to support the engine with a hangin' device, and remove the front axel support.

So if you don't have the speciel tools or a lift it will be very hard.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Its all good bro it happens, It would be helpful if you could offer me some info on this motor mount job since you do have a 545 as well. I cant find anything on it in the bentley have you done on your car? Any tips and tricks, things I should know?
Have you tried TIS?

http://translate.google.ca/translate...40%26bih%3D799

Last edited by 545iMike; 07-25-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Tue-Track
I used the yellow ones.

Quarta2six--> I don't think you will find a DIY on motor mount replacement, it's a pretty big task.
You will need to support the engine with a hangin' device, and remove the front axel support.

So if you don't have the speciel tools or a lift it will be very hard.
I dont think the front axel portion is exactly necessary im confident in holding up the engine as ive done that before. Im just going to order the mounts and try and familiarize myself with the area and try a plan of attack. I dont think it will be to rough. I got a quote for $450 plus parts but dont want to pay labor.
Originally Posted by 545iMike
Have you tried TIS?
Yea ive taken a look like Tue-Trakc said it calls for removal of the front axel support which seems pretty involved but I dont think that is necessary waiting on some more input from a fellow member hopefully this will be easy. I dont want to pay for labor.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Members

At least for the driver side mount is is not necessary to remove an axel or hang the engine from above. I've used a floor jack and a block of wood to support it from below on friends 545. Check out oil cooler / engine mount gasket DIYs - one step of that DIY is to remove the driver side engine mount. It is still PITA, but doable - two of us finished the job over the weekend.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: Au

Originally Posted by KyleB
BS on coils causing subframe bushing failure.

Also, BS on 15hours to replace rear subframe bushings on an E60.

If you want, I'll look up the ALLDATA time as well as the CCC crash guide time. I've never seen a rear subframe removal pay anywhere near 15 hours on any BMW.

I'll eat my words if I look it up in either guide and see 15 hours.

If you do end up replacing them, now is the time to see if there's an upgraded part somewhere. When I did them on my E30, I snagged a set of Group N bushings that the factory race teams used for the E30 M3 DTM cars. Maybe there's an aftermarket or M car upgrade?
Yes, on the E60, because it runs a coilover design mounted to the knuckle, it should not change any of the loads on the subframe bushings based on spring rates. On a E90, or other car where the spring is between a control arm and body, it actually pulls down on the subframe bushings every time the suspension is compressed.