E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD NEWS!!!....Rear Subframe Bushing worn.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 AM
  #1  
Members
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
Quarta2six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 455
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default BAD NEWS!!!....Rear Subframe Bushing worn.

What's going on,
As the title says rear subframe bushings are bad and need to be replaced. I recently put up a post about a clunk I was experiencing during hard acceleration only and hard shifts from first to second (6spd). Figured it would be a complete guessing game so I took the car to my Indy to take a look. He tells me my subframe bushings are the cause and they need to be replaced. From what he tells me it's a pretty big job and a lot of hrs of labor. I trust this mechanic have been going to him when I need things done I can't do myself. I try almost everything though to save money with my car. Which leads to my question is his a DIY job or will I have to bite the bullet and get this fixed by my mechanic. The way he's talking is like the labor it's going to kill me he said something crazy like 15hrs because he has to drop the subframe yadda yadda. I've done a search couldn't find any DIY's so I hope someone has some answers for me. Thanks guys.
Quarta2six is offline  
Old 07-16-2014, 11:49 AM
  #2  
Members
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
Quarta2six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 455
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default

Also he said I should have never put coils on my car the cause of this is from the unsprung weight now on the car. Coils were just installed a month or so ago and didnt have any problems with the install. Could any of this be an alignment or corner balance issue that he may be overlooking before I jump the gun?... Just curious
Quarta2six is offline  
Old 07-16-2014, 03:00 PM
  #3  
Members
Senior Members
 
KyleB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 2,540
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Default

BS on coils causing subframe bushing failure.

Also, BS on 15hours to replace rear subframe bushings on an E60.

If you want, I'll look up the ALLDATA time as well as the CCC crash guide time. I've never seen a rear subframe removal pay anywhere near 15 hours on any BMW.

I'll eat my words if I look it up in either guide and see 15 hours.

If you do end up replacing them, now is the time to see if there's an upgraded part somewhere. When I did them on my E30, I snagged a set of Group N bushings that the factory race teams used for the E30 M3 DTM cars. Maybe there's an aftermarket or M car upgrade?

Last edited by KyleB; 07-16-2014 at 03:03 PM.
KyleB is offline  
Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 PM
  #4  
New Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chestermere AB
Posts: 582
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Default

Typically subframe bushings can be replaced without removing the unit. BMW has a puller that can take them out one at a time from under the car while the others are still holding up the subframe.

I'm assuming you're talking about bushings item 2: RealOEM.com BMW E60N 535xi REAR AXLE CARRIER

Oh, and BS on the coilovers being the cause.
audiophool is offline  
Old 07-16-2014, 05:20 PM
  #5  
Members
Senior Members
 
Booyaazaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 953
My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3
Default

I would call around to other shops to see how much they would charge to replace your subframe bushings.
Booyaazaa is offline  
Old 07-16-2014, 08:36 PM
  #6  
Members
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
Quarta2six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 455
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default

Originally Posted by KyleB View Post
BS on coils causing subframe bushing failure.

Also, BS on 15hours to replace rear subframe bushings on an E60.

If you want, I'll look up the ALLDATA time as well as the CCC crash guide time. I've never seen a rear subframe removal pay anywhere near 15 hours on any BMW.

I'll eat my words if I look it up in either guide and see 15 hours.

If you do end up replacing them, now is the time to see if there's an upgraded part somewhere. When I did them on my E30, I snagged a set of Group N bushings that the factory race teams used for the E30 M3 DTM cars. Maybe there's an aftermarket or M car upgrade?
I don't think it takes that long but then again I've never done the job before. He said something about the springs not being able to support the weight and thinks I should go back to stock and fix the bushings but he's just that type of guy doesn't really like aftermarket parts. Is this something I can DIY or will I have to get this fixed by a professional. Also is the car safe to drive for now? It seems like it is but I'm not sure just want a second opinion. Power flex makes some upgraded bushing sold by ECS suppose to be more durable than stock.
Originally Posted by audiophool View Post
Typically subframe bushings can be replaced without removing the unit. BMW has a puller that can take them out one at a time from under the car while the others are still holding up the subframe.

I'm assuming you're talking about bushings item 2: RealOEM.com * BMW E60N 535xi REAR AXLE CARRIER

Oh, and BS on the coilovers being the cause.
Yes I am talking about item #2. Do
You happen to know where I would be able to look into getting a tool like you mentioned?

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa View Post
I would call around to other shops to see how much they would charge to replace your subframe bushings.
I think that's what I'm going to do, am I safe to drive for now? Also I can't find much information on this repair is this something that doesn't usually fail on a e60?
Quarta2six is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:53 AM
  #7  
New Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chestermere AB
Posts: 582
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Default

I would call the stealer on this one. There may be DIY tools available somewhere, but I'd be very surprised if the stealer charged too much to justify trying to do the work yourself.

Sounds to me like your 'trusted indy' is a bit behind the times if he was going to remove the entire subframe to swap the bushings.

And the comment that coilovers somehow can't support the weight is strange. The OE suspension mounts to the same points...
audiophool is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 AM
  #8  
Members
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
Quarta2six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 455
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default

Originally Posted by audiophool View Post
I would call the stealer on this one. There may be DIY tools available somewhere, but I'd be very surprised if the stealer charged too much to justify trying to do the work yourself.

Sounds to me like your 'trusted indy' is a bit behind the times if he was going to remove the entire subframe to swap the bushings.

And the comment that coilovers somehow can't support the weight is strange. The OE suspension mounts to the same points...
Called the dealer they quoted me $1200 plus parts which is around $1600 those bushing are less than $100. I have one other option there a mechaninc on Bimmerfest Im trying to get in contact with to see what he will quote me. He's in NY but im there all the time if its reasonable I'll take the car when Im up there. Im not going to bash him he's definitely done good work for me, he's just one of those guys who doesnt like aftermarket stuff thinks everything BMW did was the best thing for these cars and we shouldnt deviate from that. Like some guys on these forums. Still havent found out if this thing is safe to drive.
Quarta2six is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 AM
  #9  
Members
Senior Members
 
Jim165's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 279
Default

Maybe you should get a second opinion on where that clunk is coming from. In your other post you stated that the clunk is coming from the front. Being that you have a 6 speed and it's coming from the front, that sounds like a worn guibo. It is known that the guibo wears faster in the manual cars vs. the auto, so that could be your problem...just a guess, tho. Definitely get a 2nd opinion before jumping in on the subframe bushings..

Originally Posted by Quarta2six View Post
Wassup,
Pretty much today I noticed a clunk when I accelerate hard in first gear and on a hard shift into second it is coming from somewhere in the front of the car. I do not feel the clunk during normal acceleration and shifts or going over bumps. Clunk isnt apparent during braking at all. Only when I mash the gas in first and also if I shift quickly from first to second. Happens everytime I gun it I can step on the gas moderately and not feel it. Anyone have any ideas? Yes, I did do a search. Recently switched to coils all top mounts are brand new. Appreciate the help.
Jim165 is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 AM
  #10  
Members
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
Quarta2six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 455
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default

Originally Posted by Jim165 View Post
Maybe you should get a second opinion on where that clunk is coming from. In your other post you stated that the clunk is coming from the front. Being that you have a 6 speed and it's coming from the front, that sounds like a worn guibo. It is known that the guibo wears faster in the manual cars vs. the auto, so that could be your problem...just a guess, tho. Definitely get a 2nd opinion before jumping in on the subframe bushings..
Yea I originally though it was the front of the car definitely didnt feel like the rear at all. A second opinion wouldnt hurt though thats money taken away from the repair since I may or may not get the car repaired at where I got it diagnosed. Definitely not paying BMW $200 to take a look at it.
Quarta2six is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAD NEWS!!!....Rear Subframe Bushing worn.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.