E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWESOME drive here in Phoenix-Payson-anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just got home from a REALLY fun drive that got quite a few many fellow drivers pissed along the way but overall pretty empty highway. It is route 87 from phoenix to payson. 2 lanes-80 miles of the twistiest, hilliest mountainous climbes all intermixed with a ton of longgg straights. I got my new V1 yesterday and thought it would be perfect place to try it since I was too scared to go have fun with this drive before. Oddly enough the V1 didnt buzz once and no coppers in sight.!

But I got to payson in 25 minutes-if you live here you will realize that is FAST. I used the car data for the trip and averaged just over 100mph. Got my highest speed of just under 145 down a longgg hilly straight coming right after this longggg but very slight curve. Came out of the curve at 120 and took me awhile to hit 143.

Played around in 3rd and 4th gear most of the trip, no chance to get it in 5th since lots of decreas/increase speed driving.

This drive needs ALL your attention. A couple curves are tight (tip to anyone-if the sign says 45mph limit for an upcoming curve-it is a TIGHT curve. Whenever the sigh stays at 55 or above. The curves are gentle enough to pretty much run and play around them at your leisure. But a copuple tight ones I was definetly holding on with both hands.

Anyway I hit payson, grabbed food and cruised back. Started out thinking-Ok once was enough for the day-I will just "cruise" back-I started going the posted 65mph and felt like I would never make it home and could not bear it-after 120-140, 65 is tough to swallow.

And the best part of all the 07 530 sport handled like a dream. FLATTEST ass cornering I have ever experienced (I have not driven top of the line sports cars though-ferrari, Z06 etc) but for being able to corner at 100 plus speeds easily-not bad for a 4 door sedan.

The straights left people often throwing their hands up in the air when I looked back in my rear view. Not that I would do anything dangerous-Always shut it down when cars were near but a few straights I had to blow by since they were the only odd car in the slow lane. So a few got annoyed but a MUST drive. Dont take your kids or family-if you miss-cue a turn, the only thing waiting for you is cliffs and drops of mannyyyy 1000's of feet. Fun times!