E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viewing a 535d tomorrow - what do I need to be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

535d M Sport 4dr with Media Pack on 19" star alloys NRFs, Sep 06 with 27k on the clock at a BMW dealer. 10k til next service. Anything I need to check for? I've put a deposit on it but haven't seen it yet. I hear a few horror stories about slow iDrives etc - can I check what version the firmware is in the menu at all? And what is a bad version if I can? And can I get it upgraded?

I'm setting off at about 9 as it's a 340 mile round trip for me.

I saw a 5 at a dealer in Manchester this morning and the rubber surrounds on both front windows were cracked to high heaven. Any more little things like that?

Thanks all

Paul
Old 05-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Paul,

Welcome to the forum.
Usual things to look out for, dents, dings etc. Be aware that for a BMW AUC, the preparation is virtually nil - confined to a valet (of variable thoroughness), so there will probably be some niggles with the car that you probably won't find for a few days! There are some minor points like creaking door seals, slow iDrive and transmission slam. If you're unfamiliar with iDrive, I don't know how you can tell if it's slow or not, it's just your perception. Do a search on the transmission slam to find out the details - my car's a manual 530, so it doesn't affect me. If there are vibrations at 60 to 80, check that the wheels are round - they flat spot on the inside quite easily. Check front and rear if that is the case.

It's not easy to get a Progman version - there are key sequences to do to get a version, but I understand it is not definitive. The only real way is to get the Dealer to hook the car up to the diagnostics. This will only take a few minutes if they are willing to do it.

Try and get a print out of the extras as supplied. The first owner will be named on there. If it's a (smaller) company or individual, then you can always get an area where the car has been run, and therefore an address, so you can phone up the previous owner. (As I did, and he was very helpful). You may get a sight of the V5, so the address would be on there too. ALL work carried out on the car at a Dealers should be on their system. Ask to see that (on the screen) so you can tell if there has been major problems with the car.

If you are unfamiliar with BMW Auto's, watch it when you pull out of a junction. There is torque limiting software that translates to a delay between squeezing the loud pedal and geting action from the back. If this delay means you have a 38-tonner bearing down on you, it is natural that you will squeeze harder on the loud pedal. This will prompt all 272 (or whatever) horses to gallop at the same time, which can be interesting if you're not used to it!!

Enjoy your blast in the car. Take no prisoners from the Sales Team, screw them for every penny (as they will do to you). Let us all know how you got on, and what you thought of the car.

Mike

(Dreaming of the day when Mr. BMW fits a manual 'box to the 535d)
Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jim_rockford' post='421003' date='May 4 2007, 03:46 PM
...Anything I need to check for?...
AS you're driving, try to make the smile appear more cool and less goofy.

I still haven't cracked it...

ABC
Old 05-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

Prep on the car will not be brilliant.

I bought mine over the phone from a dealer 200 miles away without viewing it as I thought it way a safe bet being a demo with only 5k miles on. However when I went to collect it it had the wrong interior trim to that listed and a couple of dings in the paintwork!

I negotiated a substantial discount and got them to pay for the ding repairs locally.

The main things to look for on a car with those kind of miles are the condition of the brakes and tyres. Everything else should still be covered under the warranty.....oh and check for dings and that the car is as advertised!

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Members

Thanks everyone

I have driven about 8 other 535d M Sports in my quest.

Finding a Sep 06 with SPG, 19" wheels and a Media Pack for less than 33k, even given it's mileage is a bit of a victory. I currently have an X5 so am more than aware of the torque limiting software problem!!!

The car is currently the company car of an employee of the dealer chain, but they work at a dealer of a different marque so it's not used as a demonstrator. Certainly not any more with 27k anyway...!

I think I've been slightly screwed - they don't sell you the car unless you are do they?!?! However, I know that I can't get a deal anything like this anywhere else (unless I go private sale) so that's what settles it really. And the fact that cos it's only 8 months old, I don't have to buy an extended warranty for a couple of years!

I noticed on some 5s I looked at this morning that there is an aux socket in the rear of the car. Can this be used for an iPod connection to the main speakers of the car?

Also, I always understood the car to have 272bhp right up until the new version coming out this month with the arty-farty ever so slightly cheapo gearstick from the new X5 on it, however looking it up as a used car on What Car shows it to have 268bhp? Anyone know what the true figure is?

Also - are DMS based in Chester? Is it their conversion that BMW can't even read the increase in power on their systems? I know someone is able to do this.

Thanks all

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='421014' date='May 4 2007, 10:09 AM
Paul,

Welcome to the forum.
Usual things to look out for, dents, dings etc. Be aware that for a BMW AUC, the preparation is virtually nil - confined to a valet (of variable thoroughness), so there will probably be some niggles with the car that you probably won't find for a few days! There are some minor points like creaking door seals, slow iDrive and transmission slam. If you're unfamiliar with iDrive, I don't know how you can tell if it's slow or not, it's just your perception. Do a search on the transmission slam to find out the details - my car's a manual 530, so it doesn't affect me. If there are vibrations at 60 to 80, check that the wheels are round - they flat spot on the inside quite easily. Check front and rear if that is the case.

It's not easy to get a Progman version - there are key sequences to do to get a version, but I understand it is not definitive. The only real way is to get the Dealer to hook the car up to the diagnostics. This will only take a few minutes if they are willing to do it.

Try and get a print out of the extras as supplied. The first owner will be named on there. If it's a (smaller) company or individual, then you can always get an area where the car has been run, and therefore an address, so you can phone up the previous owner. (As I did, and he was very helpful). You may get a sight of the V5, so the address would be on there too. ALL work carried out on the car at a Dealers should be on their system. Ask to see that (on the screen) so you can tell if there has been major problems with the car.

If you are unfamiliar with BMW Auto's, watch it when you pull out of a junction. There is torque limiting software that translates to a delay between squeezing the loud pedal and geting action from the back. If this delay means you have a 38-tonner bearing down on you, it is natural that you will squeeze harder on the loud pedal. This will prompt all 272 (or whatever) horses to gallop at the same time, which can be interesting if you're not used to it!!

Enjoy your blast in the car. Take no prisoners from the Sales Team, screw them for every penny (as they will do to you). Let us all know how you got on, and what you thought of the car.

Mike

(Dreaming of the day when Mr. BMW fits a manual 'box to the 535d)
Old 05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jim_rockford' post='421093' date='May 4 2007, 07:32 PM
Also, I always understood the car to have 272bhp right up until the new version coming out this month with the arty-farty ever so slightly cheapo gearstick from the new X5 on it, however looking it up as a used car on What Car shows it to have 268bhp? Anyone know what the true figure is?
The figures are both right but many are inaccurarte with the units (even insurers and BMW themselves).

200kW=268HP=272PS

PS(Pferd Stark)=Metric/DIN "HP"

ABC
Old 05-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

DMS are based in Hampshire I think but they'll travel to you.

There's been some previous threads on other boards as to whether the remap is detectable but I think the bottom line is that it can be detected if someone looks hard enough....or drives your car!

DMS will however apparently honour any warranty claims that BMW wriggle out of which kind of makes it worth while in itself.

IMO it is a "must have" mod on the 535d though.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Members

Viewing a 535d tomorrow - what do I need to be aware of?-copy_of_dsc00007.jpgWell, I bought it!

Thanks for all the advice. Picking it up next Saturday once it's had a few bits of work done.

Originally Posted by jim_rockford' post='421003' date='May 4 2007, 09:46 AM
535d M Sport 4dr with Media Pack on 19" star alloys NRFs, Sep 06 with 27k on the clock at a BMW dealer. 10k til next service. Anything I need to check for? I've put a deposit on it but haven't seen it yet. I hear a few horror stories about slow iDrives etc - can I check what version the firmware is in the menu at all? And what is a bad version if I can? And can I get it upgraded?

I'm setting off at about 9 as it's a 340 mile round trip for me.

I saw a 5 at a dealer in Manchester this morning and the rubber surrounds on both front windows were cracked to high heaven. Any more little things like that?

Thanks all

Paul
Old 05-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Nice one Paul,

The best colour too!!

Enjoy the ride.

Mike
Old 05-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Aeroresh' post='421168' date='May 4 2007, 10:09 PM
DMS are based in Hampshire I think but they'll travel to you.

IMO it is a "must have" mod on the 535d though.
If you become a 'site supporter' over on the extremely worthwhile www.bmwland.co.uk forum, you can get ?250 off the remap if you go to their HQ or ?100 off if they have to come to you. Its only ?10 a year to be a site supporter btw.

Also i entirely agreed with you about the DMS mod being a must have, but having just picked up my 535d M Sport last saturday i can confirm in standard form IT GOES LIKE STINK!!!

Quick Reply: Viewing a 535d tomorrow - what do I need to be aware of?