E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUX Input Coding vs. New CIP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]
Thumbs up

I will have the Aux input installed by a friend. However it will needs to be activated via BMW dealers computer. That is no problem so far. But the dealer told me that they can't enable the AUX without uploading the latest CIP!!!!! And that is a total NONO for me. I'm happy with my simple older CIP with no bugs. I do not want the new problematic CIP, fried TCU and 5 days at a dealership.

Can someone confirm that coding a AUx install requires uploading the latest CIP first????? I don't believe it much.....
thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='260569' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:13 PM
I will have the Aux input installed by a friend. However it will needs to be activated via BMW dealers computer. That is no problem so far. But the dealer told me that they can't enable the AUX without uploading the latest CIP!!!!! And that is a total NONO for me. I'm happy with my simple older CIP with no bugs. I do not want the new problematic CIP, fried TCU and 5 days at a dealership.

Can someone confirm that coding a AUx install requires uploading the latest CIP first????? I don't believe it much.....
thanks
I don't think the latest necessarily - but certainly an update is required.

My software was updated when mine was installed, but not all the way to the latest version (so far as I can tell).

When you think about this - it has to be possible, cause the aux input has been around for ages, but the latest CIP has only recently been released. Question is if the dealer is allowed to use an older version.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter,
AFAIK, nav retrofit requires to update to the latest CIP first and then retrofit. For AUX, it's kind of iffy!
What CIP do you have? If you have less than 13.x, CIP update is a must.

Best Regards
Old 03-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

I would assume that the dealer would update to the latest. I can't imagine that they would keep older versions laying around since they were obviously problematic hence the update. Maybe one release back just in case the new one has problems. I have the AUX input done and it was done overnight. No problems. Then I had the MP3 enabled. Again no problem. The latter of the two was just a module update.

If you do not see the option for AUX in your Entertainment area then an update will have to be done in order for you to be able to select it as an option.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW

Yes, the dealer can not do any retrofit without first updating to the newest CIP which is now called PROGMAN since version 20.x
Old 03-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='260857' date='Mar 27 2006, 04:21 PM
Yes, the dealer can not do any retrofit without first updating to the newest CIP which is now called PROGMAN since version 20.x

why is that? Is it just a "BMW Munchen Law" or is it really a reasonable technical requirement matter?
I would assume it has to do something with some stupid policies otherwise I see why they they can't just Check it: ON in the computer and enable it for me.... It is not like Aux needs some special software to communicate with the car or something..... it has been around for ages....
Old 03-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW

You're not going to get a true answer because I don't think anyone knows. I wish we could get an actual BMW Tech from a dealership to join our forums

I would guess that the dealers computers are setup to run with whatever the current version is and if they plug a car into it with a lesser version, it must be updated before their system lets them do anything with it. Just a guess..
Old 03-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I don't know the real answer, but... in all the documentation I've seen it always instructs the service centers to use the "latest" PROGMAN (CIP) when doing any maintenance actions. They are required to run a Measures plan and take appropriate action. The Measures Plan tells them what software level your modules (CCC, ECU, ASK, etc) are at and what the current level is. They can bypass some, but not all since some are part of what they term "Open Campaigns? and they have instructions to update as soon as they have hold of your car (similar to a recall but not safety related). At times they can fake out the system by saying they replaced a module and then code only that one thing, but I do not know how far they can go with that. Furthermore, I doubt that they are permitted to keep more than 2 versions back. That is if they are at 21.xx they may be instructed to retain only as far back as 20.00 or possibly 19.xx. Common practice when dealing with software that they do not want updates using outdated software. I?m sure some smart techs rat hole all of them but that would not be the instructions from BMW.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Contributors

anyone with more FACTS???
how about pluging the Aux in without the coding? no chance of working?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

For aux-in you need an update, and BMW only update you always with their recently latest, as normally that is what need for your car and there are no issues with that. Why Peter you are afraid of CIP21? I got it and all perfect ride is even better it is very responsive and no stupd error messages.

I think that 20s probs were more for 545i and mainly reported by US guys, however I do not know why...

true mine is diesel but till the moment like a swiss watch, and that is something when we talk about a BMW

Quick Reply: AUX Input Coding vs. New CIP