5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   AUX Input Coding vs. New CIP (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/aux-input-coding-vs-new-cip-23859/)

Peter530i 03-27-2006 03:13 AM

I will have the Aux input installed by a friend. However it will needs to be activated via BMW dealers computer. That is no problem so far. But the dealer told me that they can't enable the AUX without uploading the latest CIP!!!!! And that is a total NONO for me. I'm happy with my simple older CIP with no bugs. I do not want the new problematic CIP, fried TCU and 5 days at a dealership.

Can someone confirm that coding a AUx install requires uploading the latest CIP first????? I don't believe it much.....
thanks

needforspeed 03-27-2006 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='260569' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:13 PM
I will have the Aux input installed by a friend. However it will needs to be activated via BMW dealers computer. That is no problem so far. But the dealer told me that they can't enable the AUX without uploading the latest CIP!!!!! And that is a total NONO for me. I'm happy with my simple older CIP with no bugs. I do not want the new problematic CIP, fried TCU and 5 days at a dealership.

Can someone confirm that coding a AUx install requires uploading the latest CIP first????? I don't believe it much.....
thanks

I don't think the latest necessarily - but certainly an update is required.

My software was updated when mine was installed, but not all the way to the latest version (so far as I can tell).

When you think about this - it has to be possible, cause the aux input has been around for ages, but the latest CIP has only recently been released. Question is if the dealer is allowed to use an older version.

my530i 03-27-2006 08:40 AM

Peter,
AFAIK, nav retrofit requires to update to the latest CIP first and then retrofit. For AUX, it's kind of iffy!
What CIP do you have? If you have less than 13.x, CIP update is a must.

Best Regards

skipper 03-27-2006 11:32 AM

I would assume that the dealer would update to the latest. I can't imagine that they would keep older versions laying around since they were obviously problematic hence the update. Maybe one release back just in case the new one has problems. I have the AUX input done and it was done overnight. No problems. Then I had the MP3 enabled. Again no problem. The latter of the two was just a module update.

If you do not see the option for AUX in your Entertainment area then an update will have to be done in order for you to be able to select it as an option.

Lomag 03-27-2006 12:21 PM

Yes, the dealer can not do any retrofit without first updating to the newest CIP which is now called PROGMAN since version 20.x

Peter530i 03-27-2006 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='260857' date='Mar 27 2006, 04:21 PM
Yes, the dealer can not do any retrofit without first updating to the newest CIP which is now called PROGMAN since version 20.x

why is that? Is it just a "BMW Munchen Law" or is it really a reasonable technical requirement matter?
I would assume it has to do something with some stupid policies otherwise I see why they they can't just Check it: ON in the computer and enable it for me.... It is not like Aux needs some special software to communicate with the car or something..... it has been around for ages....

Lomag 03-27-2006 01:03 PM

You're not going to get a true answer because I don't think anyone knows. I wish we could get an actual BMW Tech from a dealership to join our forums :)

I would guess that the dealers computers are setup to run with whatever the current version is and if they plug a car into it with a lesser version, it must be updated before their system lets them do anything with it. Just a guess..

cobradav 03-27-2006 05:06 PM

I don't know the real answer, but... in all the documentation I've seen it always instructs the service centers to use the "latest" PROGMAN (CIP) when doing any maintenance actions. They are required to run a Measures plan and take appropriate action. The Measures Plan tells them what software level your modules (CCC, ECU, ASK, etc) are at and what the current level is. They can bypass some, but not all since some are part of what they term "Open Campaigns? and they have instructions to update as soon as they have hold of your car (similar to a recall but not safety related). At times they can fake out the system by saying they replaced a module and then code only that one thing, but I do not know how far they can go with that. Furthermore, I doubt that they are permitted to keep more than 2 versions back. That is if they are at 21.xx they may be instructed to retain only as far back as 20.00 or possibly 19.xx. Common practice when dealing with software that they do not want updates using outdated software. I?m sure some smart techs rat hole all of them but that would not be the instructions from BMW.

Peter530i 03-29-2006 11:51 AM

anyone with more FACTS???
how about pluging the Aux in without the coding? no chance of working?

ats77 03-29-2006 12:07 PM

For aux-in you need an update, and BMW only update you always with their recently latest, as normally that is what need for your car and there are no issues with that. Why Peter you are afraid of CIP21? I got it and all perfect ride is even better it is very responsive and no stupd error messages.

I think that 20s probs were more for 545i and mainly reported by US guys, however I do not know why...

true mine is diesel but till the moment like a swiss watch, and that is something when we talk about a BMW :D