E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AUX Bass and Sound Quality Problem Solved!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the Aux Input installed on the wifes 550i - can anyone tell me what/where to get the wire that will let me use the bottom connector/line out and connect to the aux connector so I can get rid of the headphone connection cable they gave me?

Thanks,
Old 03-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Senior Members

I feel kind of ridiculous asking this question, but hey, here goes nothing. Just to clarify, I do not have the AUX input in my glovebox. However, I am wondering if there is a way to go directly from the AUX input in the back of the head unit to a two prong RCA cable? In other words, is there a cable that goes from the 12-pin input on the back of the head unit to a double prong RCA end. The reason I ask, is because Car Toys said I need an adapter (which conveniently they do not make yet) to go from an RCA cable to the AUX input and that seemed, well to say the least, retarded. I say this because BMW sells their cable which goes from the single 3.5mm end to the 12-pin input. And correct me if I'm wrong, but you can go from a double RCA down to a single RCA and just plug it into that single 3.5mm end, am I right? No adapters needed? I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.

Bottom line, I'd rather not pay for the parts and labor (anywhere from $150-$300 as I've seen talked about) to install the AUX input in the glovebox where I have to then stick my iPod. I'd rather go from the back of the head unit directly to my BlueTooth Reciever. This will give me the same quality as if I were directly connected but with no wires. It will also be easier to access my iPod while driving (i.e. absolutely anywhere I want it). Not to mention I can give my iPod to the people in the back seat and they could change it to whatever song they want. Also as an added bonus, I wouldn't have to chop up the BMW cable to remove the capacitors and resistors. Of course the only downside as of now... Yep you guessed it, the output on the BlueTooth Reciever is through a double RCA cable. Any advice on this would be helpful, especially if you know where I can get a cable like that and how much it would cost. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='256730' date='Mar 18 2006, 11:10 AM
I feel kind of ridiculous asking this question, but hey, here goes nothing. Just to clarify, I do not have the AUX input in my glovebox. However, I am wondering if there is a way to go directly from the AUX input in the back of the head unit to a two prong RCA cable? In other words, is there a cable that goes from the 12-pin input on the back of the head unit to a double prong RCA end. The reason I ask, is because Car Toys said I need an adapter (which conveniently they do not make yet) to go from an RCA cable to the AUX input and that seemed, well to say the least, retarded. I say this because BMW sells their cable which goes from the single 3.5mm end to the 12-pin input. And correct me if I'm wrong, but you can go from a double RCA down to a single RCA and just plug it into that single 3.5mm end, am I right? No adapters needed? I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.

Bottom line, I'd rather not pay for the parts and labor (anywhere from $150-$300 as I've seen talked about) to install the AUX input in the glovebox where I have to then stick my iPod. I'd rather go from the back of the head unit directly to my BlueTooth Reciever. This will give me the same quality as if I were directly connected but with no wires. It will also be easier to access my iPod while driving (i.e. absolutely anywhere I want it). Not to mention I can give my iPod to the people in the back seat and they could change it to whatever song they want. Also as an added bonus, I wouldn't have to chop up the BMW cable to remove the capacitors and resistors. Of course the only downside as of now... Yep you guessed it, the output on the BlueTooth Reciever is through a double RCA cable. Any advice on this would be helpful, especially if you know where I can get a cable like that and how much it would cost. Thanks.
All that would work, but there is program update also involved. Also I think there is not RCA's, but defenetly there is "left", "right" and "ground", but like stated above, they are not enabled as default. IMO

Skaffa
Old 03-18-2006, 03:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by skaffa' post='256733' date='Mar 18 2006, 08:24 AM
All that would work, but there is program update also involved. Also I think there is not RCA's, but defenetly there is "left", "right" and "ground", but like stated above, they are not enabled as default. IMO

Skaffa
Similar but different question, then.

If I manage to get BMW to update my software will they enable the aux menu in the software without the part being actually installed. That way I can connect whatever kind of connectors I want later knowing that the aux on the headunit is enabled. Anyone try this.
I've seen people here DIY the aux connector and then go to BMW for the update but what about doing it the other way around. i.e. software update first then DIY.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='256779' date='Mar 18 2006, 12:14 PM
Similar but different question, then.

If I manage to get BMW to update my software will they enable the aux menu in the software without the part being actually installed. That way I can connect whatever kind of connectors I want later knowing that the aux on the headunit is enabled. Anyone try this.
I've seen people here DIY the aux connector and then go to BMW for the update but what about doing it the other way around. i.e. software update first then DIY.
The aux input is a complete kit, so I don't think they'll do (or are able to do) the software without the aux input.

But why not just have it put in - you can always adapt, reterminate or strip out and replace the cable as you see fit later?
Old 03-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='256730' date='Mar 18 2006, 08:10 AM

1. Aux input doesn't have to go in the glovebox - mine is in the passenger footwell. Since you can't control the pod remotely, I've mounted mine where I can access it easily while driving.

2. In terms of the cables - if I understand correctly you want a cable ending in 2 rca prongs ? The aux input ends in a 3.5mm female stereo connector. I already HAVE a 3.5mm male to 2 prong RCA cable that I use to connect my ipod to my home stereo - these cables cost peanuts - why not just use one to adapt the connection? Amazon will give you a choice of several under ?10.

Trust me this will be a lot easier than trying to persuade BMW to do a non-standard install and hacking out the resistors is not-essential just a really easy way to improve the sound.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kirkB' post='256461' date='Mar 17 2006, 08:31 PM
Just had the Aux Input installed on the wifes 550i - can anyone tell me what/where to get the wire that will let me use the bottom connector/line out and connect to the aux connector so I can get rid of the headphone connection cable they gave me?

Thanks,
Various cables are available depending on what kind of MP3 player you have.

You mention a 'bottom connector' so it sounds like you have an ipod with 'dock connector' like me (video / nano).

Your options are to get a car charger - recommend 'monster icar low profile charger' (just google for a retailer near you). This ends in a second female 3.5mm stereo connector - so you need an additional cable - 3.5mm stero male plug (like a headphone plug) on each end - mine was a ?1 from amazon.

There is also something called a 'pocket dock' available from apple which converts the bottom connector on the pod to a firewire or usb 2 + 3.5mm stereo output.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='256885' date='Mar 18 2006, 09:30 AM
1. Aux input doesn't have to go in the glovebox - mine is in the passenger footwell. Since you can't control the pod remotely, I've mounted mine where I can access it easily while driving.

2. In terms of the cables - if I understand correctly you want a cable ending in 2 rca prongs ? The aux input ends in a 3.5mm female stereo connector. I already HAVE a 3.5mm male to 2 prong RCA cable that I use to connect my ipod to my home stereo - these cables cost peanuts - why not just use one to adapt the connection? Amazon will give you a choice of several under ?10.

Trust me this will be a lot easier than trying to persuade BMW to do a non-standard install and hacking out the resistors is not-essential just a really easy way to improve the sound.

Thanks needforspeed, you helped a lot. I know the AUX input doesn't have to install in the glovebox, but that's BMW's standard way of doing it, and I've heard it will cost more if I tell them I want it somewhere else. I also have a unique situation here. See, my girlfriend aleady bought me the BlueTooth iPod adapter. But now you're telling me in order to make that work I have to go to BMW and have them install their $200 (parts & labor) AUX Input.

I have the same 3.5mm male to 2 prong RCA cable that you're talking about, I use it at home for my iPod too, and it does cost peanuts ($10-$12). Which is why instead of paying $200 (parts & labor) for BMW's AUX Input I want to pay peanuts again for a 12-pin to 2 prong RCA which I'll put in myself. Then I just want BMW to do the software update to enable AUX input on the head unit. I know that it sounds like I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, but in reality it's actually pretty simple. I just want one cable and the software update, the rest is all me. That way I really should end up only paying peanuts, I'm guessing $50 maybe, I don't know. Does anyone here know the price breakdown for the AUX Input install, how much does enabling the AUX menu on the head unit cost? Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6spd manual. Euro Delivery, Nav, Sport Pkg, 35%Johnson Tint

You can make your own setup if you want to, and avoid purchasing the BMW Aux Input cable. I bought 100 of the proprietary terminal connectors from Tyco electronics(which is the OEM supplier of this part to BMW) that connect to the back of the CCC.

To DIY you will need 3 wires for the aux input (Left,Right, Ground). I have made this harness for a bunch of people and they work great. All you need is 3 good quality wires, 3 terminal connectors(the Tyco ones) to plug into the CCC, and the 1/8" female jack from Radio Shack (I think it was like $2-3). You just solder things together and get the dealer to program the Aux Input to the Vehicle Order ($30-$45) and you are all set.

Let me know if any of you guys want the Tyco terminal connectors that fit the back of the CCC to DIY, cuz I got plenty to sell.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by singhss' post='256954' date='Mar 18 2006, 01:04 PM
You can make your own setup if you want to, and avoid purchasing the BMW Aux Input cable. I bought 100 of the proprietary terminal connectors from Tyco electronics(which is the OEM supplier of this part to BMW) that connect to the back of the CCC.

To DIY you will need 3 wires for the aux input (Left,Right, Ground). I have made this harness for a bunch of people and they work great. All you need is 3 good quality wires, 3 terminal connectors(the Tyco ones) to plug into the CCC, and the 1/8" female jack from Radio Shack (I think it was like $2-3). You just solder things together and get the dealer to program the Aux Input to the Vehicle Order ($30-$45) and you are all set.

Let me know if any of you guys want the Tyco terminal connectors that fit the back of the CCC to DIY, cuz I got plenty to sell.

How much are you looking to sell one of them for? Do you have a part number on the Tyco terminal connectors as well?

Quick Reply: AUX Bass and Sound Quality Problem Solved!!!