E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valfernandes' post='736817' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:25 PM
This is to everyone out there with gear problems and you Smarty:

I recently bought my 545i and noticed that in certain gears the car would "jerk" like all of you; since I am still under warranty I took it to the dealership. They first reset the tranny, it did not work. My boyfriend and I test drove the car with the technician and the shop foreman and duplicated the jerking motion in different drive modes (D, DS & M). We left the car there, got a loaner and told them to call only when the car was fixed! Well, it is fixed and it drives like a dream! THEY REPLACED THE MECHATRONICS MODULE, the invoice reads: "it had faulty shorts for EGS, after replacement of mechatronics I programmed and encoded complete vehicle including CAS. I cleared all adaptations in vehicle and re-teached adaptation values." In other words, they replaced the transmission module.
I just thought that all of you should know what to look for since I was afraid that I had a lemon in my hands...

Good luck
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, they will not listen to anyone else or even consider info from forums. All they say is "Every car is different". The only thing that would help is if I took my car to the same dealer as you and showed the same technician the exact same problem. Where did you take your car?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Members

Sorry, just seen your location. Doesn't really help me. Worth knowing but I've always told them it was the gearbox.
The last time I spoke to them about it they wanted to have the car in to clear the gearboxes learning values. However, this would be at my cost and not covered by the warranty as it wasn't a fault as such. Having told me it involves taking the car out and driving it for a couple of hours I declined as I was almost certain it wouldn't solve the problem and I'd be left with a large labour bill.
Catch 22 though as until they did that and ruled it out they wouldn't replace any parts or even do anything else.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='736881' date='Dec 3 2008, 12:03 PM
Sorry, just seen your location. Doesn't really help me. Worth knowing but I've always told them it was the gearbox.
The last time I spoke to them about it they wanted to have the car in to clear the gearboxes learning values. However, this would be at my cost and not covered by the warranty as it wasn't a fault as such. Having told me it involves taking the car out and driving it for a couple of hours I declined as I was almost certain it wouldn't solve the problem and I'd be left with a large labour bill.
Catch 22 though as until they did that and ruled it out they wouldn't replace any parts or even do anything else.
Smarty,
I am really sorry to hear that, I feel for you, I know how expensive it gets, I recall when I identified the problem and took it to the dealership and read all about it here and most complaints were exactly (verbatum) what I had with my car. I guess I was just lucky since I got the certified pre owned thing. I was just trying to help most of owners out there that have the same problem and the dealership gives them the run around.
Once again sorry!!! I am sure out paths will cross in the future...I am just getting started with this car.
Val
Old 12-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ali-cap' post='648126' date='Aug 16 2008, 01:08 PM
Hi Guys, At last someone with same problem, 2005 530d auto all of your probs + misfire at idle after restarting the car after few hours which has been going on for the past two years.
Number of software updates,few injectors changes,change of torque converter had not made much difference, at last service was told by my dealer that it is my driving style causing it,since complaining to BMW customer relations
awaiting another dealer to cure it but nothing been done after four weeks. fingers crossed as trying to drive legally on Dorset roads with occasional juddering drives me mad. Lets find out what can be done to 530d auto together ?
PS: I use a 2001 530d auto estate(e39) for work with over 130K without any problem.
hi my e60 530d is exactly the same,driving me mad ,had allsorts of software upgrades etc,egr cleaned ,filter changes,no good at all, dealer says its fine but its far from it,if i hold throttle just above 1000 revs i get a slight missfire,when i drive at 50 to 60 mph the rev counter is all over the place im quite sure its not gearbox related i just think its deciding wether to change or not with the fluctuating revs,i also tried disconecting maf on mine which slightly improved it but also brought on engine management light have since replaced maf sensor and it wasnt that,im driving mine with maf disconnected now,once its past 2000 revs its like a different car flat spot completely goes lets just hope someone finds a solution,keep trying,garry
Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

Originally Posted by gazz c' post='740410' date='Dec 8 2008, 09:06 AM
hi my e60 530d is exactly the same,driving me mad ,had allsorts of software upgrades etc,egr cleaned ,filter changes,no good at all, dealer says its fine but its far from it,if i hold throttle just above 1000 revs i get a slight missfire,when i drive at 50 to 60 mph the rev counter is all over the place im quite sure its not gearbox related i just think its deciding wether to change or not with the fluctuating revs,i also tried disconecting maf on mine which slightly improved it but also brought on engine management light have since replaced maf sensor and it wasnt that,im driving mine with maf disconnected now,once its past 2000 revs its like a different car flat spot completely goes lets just hope someone finds a solution,keep trying,garry
Hi Smarty
Think I mentioned it before about clearing the gearbox ( learning mood ) . It takes about 5min and your dealer can do it via a lap top looking thing.
Result: nothing, don't listen to them. My car is much better after air filter shange and the next step will be cleaning some in line filters mentioned by one of the members.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hibberd' post='704430' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:16 AM
Under the acoustic cap you will see the vacuum control system that is used to operate the EGR and the turbo (BMW item 11747796634). These have small airfilters on them used when the system breaks the vacuum..check to see if the filter is dirty..they usually are, clean it and see if the fault goes away. It makes a big difference to the way the car runs..
hi were will i find the acoustic cap on my 530 d se e60 cheers
Old 12-08-2008, 03:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gazz c' post='740436' date='Dec 8 2008, 12:15 PM
hi were will i find the acoustic cap on my 530 d se e60 cheers
Its the cover on top of the engine, several m6 capheads to remove and the cover lifts off.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hibberd' post='704430' date='Oct 27 2008, 02:16 PM
Under the acoustic cap you will see the vacuum control system that is used to operate the EGR and the turbo (BMW item 11747796634). These have small airfilters on them used when the system breaks the vacuum..check to see if the filter is dirty..they usually are, clean it and see if the fault goes away. It makes a big difference to the way the car runs..
Where these small air filters are i dont know though, i tried to find them when i disconnected the swirl flaps and couldnt see any filters, unless there inside the egr/tb housing ?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 PM
grs
Members

Mine is finally fixed after 8 months of suffering and 2 months in the shop. Mine was also the Mechtronics module/valve body on the transmission. Here is the part number for the rest of you to demand it get replaced 24-34-7-571-233 (RMFD Mechatronics). It has been bothering me for a while reading these posts and most of the cars are diesels that have this issue but mine and one other was not. All the fixes / excuses offered to you were diesel engine specific and it had to be something common to our cars.

Good luck to all on this.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by grs' post='744145' date='Dec 12 2008, 10:23 PM
Mine is finally fixed after 8 months of suffering and 2 months in the shop. Mine was also the Mechtronics module/valve body on the transmission. Here is the part number for the rest of you to demand it get replaced 24-34-7-571-233 (RMFD Mechatronics). It has been bothering me for a while reading these posts and most of the cars are diesels that have this issue but mine and one other was not. All the fixes / excuses offered to you were diesel engine specific and it had to be something common to our cars.

Good luck to all on this.
Trouble is, the dealer won't replace something that isn't faulty. They're definition of faulty is that it throws up a fault code. No fault code, no replacement. If I go to them telling them it might ne the Mechatronics module they'll just say it would show up a fault code if it was faulty! They won't even swap parts over to see what part is faulty.

Quick Reply: Auto gearbox