E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day, I noticed that at certain speeds/gears, my auto box in my E61 530D (2004) behaved oddly.
I can make it do it in 3rd gear at about 35mph. If I'm on a flat level road at a constant speed, if I take my foot off the pedal, everything is fine. If I then slowly (very gently) press on the throttle it initially feels like something is pulling at the back of the car i.e. there's some increased resistance and it feels like the car is driving through some treacle. It doesn't actually slow down but feels like it should be.
Then, if I carry on a little bit more (and I'm still talking very gently) the car will start jerking and sometimes I can even see the rev counter jumping around slightly. The car feels almost like it's misfiring or it's pulling a caravan on a bumpy road. If I carry on it then picks up speed and it all goes away.
The car seems to run fine (i.e. it's not actually misfiring) and actually goes really well. There's no noises and my mpg seems normal.

Any idea what's going on? Never had an auto before but I'm thinking the first bit (the treacle feeling) is just something to do with the torque convertor and is probably normal. It's the jerkiness that's more worrying. Only happens when maintaining speed on a level road i.e. very little throttle.
Anyone any ideas?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2008 530D "M" package Exclusive line.

Hi,
Well, it seems that, under certain circumstances, the gearbox is "missing" a kick down on its own. Right ?
If you push the pedal further, you get a lower gear and the vibrations disappear ?
If the problem is so, I had the same symptoms on a previous 320D (2003). The dealer had to send a report to BMW. A few days later BMW send a program "patch" that had been used during the reprogramming of the gearbox in order to solve the problem.
Good luck.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Etienne' post='600519' date='Jun 11 2008, 06:18 PM
Hi,
Well, it seems that, under certain circumstances, the gearbox is "missing" a kick down on its own. Right ?
If you push the pedal further, you get a lower gear and the vibrations disappear ?
If the problem is so, I had the same symptoms on a previous 320D (2003). The dealer had to send a report to BMW. A few days later BMW send a program "patch" that had been used during the reprogramming of the gearbox in order to solve the problem.
Good luck.
Not exactly.
This happens whether in D, DS or Manual. If it's in manual then it won't kick down anyway. If I push the pedal further in D it may or may not change gear. If it's in DS it more than likely won't as the pedal pressure is still only light. If in manual then it can't change gear until I tell it to and so more pressure results in acceleration and the judder going away.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:28 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2008 530D "M" package Exclusive line.

Hello,
The problem I encountered let to following symptoms:
- Judder with RPM fluctuations (about 100 RPM) in the vicinity of 1500 RPM whatever the gear mode.
- vibrations stopping if kickdown / more pronounced throttle imput / relaxing the pedal.
As far as the gearbox is "auto-adaptative", it learns the way you drive (or the previous owner if it's a second hand car).
As a 1st step, I would go to the dealer and ask him to clear the gearbox memory (explaining the problem of course). Once completed, I would drive the car in a less smooth way during the "learning period".
If unsuccessful, ask BMW to re-program the gearbox with a more recent software (if available & fitting your model).
If still unsuccessful, ask a BMW expert and demonstrate the symptoms in order to get another solution (eventually reprogramming with a software patch).

Keep us posted.
Good luck
Old 06-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Members

It's going in to the dealer on Tuesday so I'll see what they come up with.
It's under warranty (provided they can find the fault) so fingers crossed.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:02 AM
Members

My Ride: Mystic Blue Nov 2004 5.30d SE :: Bluetooth :: Prof Nav :: TV :: Auto :: Beige Leather :: 18'' M Sport Alloys :: Folding Mirrors :: Headlight Washers

Smarty156

You have perfectly summed up the problem I have been having with my 5.30d (am actually going to print out your posting to show to my dealer).

Another time I notice mine is on the motorway, set the cruise at about 70/75mph and the demands on the engine from subtle changes in the road gradient will also induce the problem.

My dealer said it was the particle filter, this slightly improved things but has not 100% fixed it.

They are checking out the injectors next.

Sounds like an engine problem than a transmission problem to me.

please tell me if and how your dealer sorts this out.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by zimguy' post='603021' date='Jun 15 2008, 02:02 PM
Smarty156

You have perfectly summed up the problem I have been having with my 5.30d (am actually going to print out your posting to show to my dealer).

Another time I notice mine is on the motorway, set the cruise at about 70/75mph and the demands on the engine from subtle changes in the road gradient will also induce the problem.

My dealer said it was the particle filter, this slightly improved things but has not 100% fixed it.

They are checking out the injectors next.

Sounds like an engine problem than a transmission problem to me.

please tell me if and how your dealer sorts this out.
At last, someone with the same problem! Let's hope between us we can get it sorted.
My car goes in tomorrow (was originally for brake fluid and microfilter but added "Gearbox problem" to their list) so I'll report back when they do.
When is your one in next?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:50 AM
Members

Car went in today - haven't heard anything yet but the service guy did say it sounded like the coils.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:49 AM
Members

Just phoned to see if my car is ready and it is but surprise surprise they couldn't find any faults!
I'm going to have to go and take them out in it when I pick it up. If they can't see a fault code registered then they don't have a clue what to do.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='604244' date='Jun 17 2008, 12:50 PM
Car went in today - haven't heard anything yet but the service guy did say it sounded like the coils.

That is pretty scary!!!

Your Service guy saying that it sounded like the coils??? On a diesel????
If someone said that to me, I would be straight round to collect my car.

Why do we pay hundreds of pounds per hour so that Dealerships can employ Dummies who don't know about cars in general, never mind our pride-and-joys!!

And not forgetting that the "Technician" who is "working" on your car probably doesn't actually know what he's doing - all he's been "trained" to do is look at a VDU, not actually do any a diagnosis or b apply any thought to what he (or she!) is doing.

Mike the Cynic!

Quick Reply: Auto gearbox