E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='650622' date='Aug 20 2008, 01:49 PM
Strange thing is, I can't find any info anywhere on when the air filter should be changed. Appears not to be on BMWs list of service items!
I have been told to change on every third oilchange. Which will be 90.000km and that seems a lot to me.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Members

Yes, I believe it is every third oil change which is a long time.

Got my car back and afraid to say I think it's still the same. Doesn't even feel any better after the air filter change and clear out. Very disappointed.
I still need to do a few more miles to check but I think it's the same.

Ali-cap - Have you had any luck with your one?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof
Smile

Hi Smarty156
Looks like they have done a lot without result, just wondering what kind of millage you done for all the dirt found, mine is under 30K.
The dealer who is going to solve it called me and the chap had no idea as service manager is on holiday ..... Anyhow the car is booked for 6.09.08 .
I will keep all posted of the outcome .
Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Members

Well, to my amazement, it seems to be about 95% cured. I still think it's not 100% but I'm now much happier with it. I don't think anyone else would notice anything - it's only because I know what it was like before.
Basically, I think the car has done lots of short journeys which the BMW technicians say the diesels really don't like. The air filter was blocked, the Exhaust Gas Regeneration valve was gummed up and the inlet manifold was also pretty dirty. Personally, I think it was the EGR vale causing the hesitancy etc.
My car has done about 41,000 miles and is a July 2004 registration.
Funny thing is the dealer said they only found the blocked air filter etc because they were told by BMW technical to take the manifold apart to check the swirl flaps.
I haven't paid for anything yet as the initial bill was huge for what essentially turned out to be an air filter and EGR valve change. They had a lot of sympathy for me and so were going to go back to BMW customer service for a further contribution.

So, anyone with hesitancy problems, check the air filter and EGR valve! I assumed the air filter would be checked at least annually but I was wrong. In my case it was 3 years!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Members

Smile

Hi Smarty156
I have not had any luck with solving the hesitation and missfire. contacted the dealer and bmw customer relations with no luck. They say ,the trained staff know better how to deal and maintain the cars and no way ,will listen to the recomendations on diffrent forums. I hope your car is running fine and if you can tell me which dealer has done the work either paid or under warranty, will be a great help.
Many thanks
Ali-cap
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Members

I used Stephen James in Bromley (North West Kent/South East London borders).
They wouldn't pay any attention to my suggestions either. Nor would they even talk to Zimguy's dealer.
Check the air filter etc yourself. It's fairly easy to do and you can guarantee your dealer hasn't checked it.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Jet Black, Grey, Sport, Cold W, Shades

Originally Posted by grs' post='644737' date='Aug 12 2008, 09:54 AM
I have had the same problem with my 2005 545iA sport. At 35 and 70 MPH, with light constant throttle, the car would hesitate, it felt like being pulled from behind for about a half second and repeat every second. A slight change in throttle would make the issue go away. It would also go away after driving for 10 miles. It felt like the transmission was thinking of downshifting and taking the car out of gear and then decided it didn't need to shift so it would put is back in gear. I also had a battery replaced about a month ago and the issue went away for a week. This reset the learning transmission and that temporarily solved the problem.

I had new performance summer tires (Bridgestone RE050 run flats) put on April 2008 and the issue appeared a month later. My dealer did a road force balance on the tires and the right rear tire was found to be defective. It has been replaced and no problems for a week. I will need a few more weeks without the issue to be 100% confident this was the problem.

Good luck getting your fixed, I know how annoying that feeling is.
Do you really think the tires were the problem? I have a 545 with same issue, at 35 mph. I brought to dealer and they ordered and subsequently replaced (3 weeks later) a transmission part (mechatronic module). I picked up the car and driving home found the transmission acting worse than before. I mentioned to dealer and they stated the car was "learning". After two weeks, it is still doing some strange things so I am taking it back.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by PAUL-E60' post='667537' date='Sep 11 2008, 11:09 PM
Do you really think the tires were the problem? I have a 545 with same issue, at 35 mph. I brought to dealer and they ordered and subsequently replaced (3 weeks later) a transmission part (mechatronic module). I picked up the car and driving home found the transmission acting worse than before. I mentioned to dealer and they stated the car was "learning". After two weeks, it is still doing some strange things so I am taking it back.
My 530D auto was not happy, didnt pull well, was hesitant and the gear change was poor and very jerky. I could smell exhaust fumes in the cabin, after a lot of looking my dealer found that the exhaust manifold had 4 very large cracks in it. I picked the car up this morning and its a dream..its quick, quieter than ever, pulls away at trafic lights, changes smoothly and is what it always should have been. The manifold is a welded jobbie and I think there is very poor stress relief after welding. The actual cracks are across it..its not weld failure but base metal..odd and looks more like a design fault..
Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='601796' date='Jun 13 2008, 01:28 PM
It's going in to the dealer on Tuesday so I'll see what they come up with.
It's under warranty (provided they can find the fault) so fingers crossed.
That's the best you can do.

The Progman may not find out the problem, good luck.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Members

Smile

Hi there
I had the car checked by the dealer for air filter and EGR. They charged me ?135 for air filter, but all problems Smarty156 and myself were having is still driving me nuts.
The dealer is going to contact BMW,UK again , any suggestions???????????????
Next car will be Petrol+V8. : :

Quick Reply: Auto gearbox