E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='697826' date='Oct 20 2008, 04:31 PM
I bet that when this car is out of warranty, they'll find the problem.....
That's exactly what I think.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ali-cap' post='698071' date='Oct 20 2008, 08:25 PM
Hi
This is becoming a sad story for us as cannot figure what is realy wrong with 530d and BMW UK does not give a d.. about it. They are not even intrested when you ask them to read and study some of the forums , If it shows on their fault finding computer may be fixed ,otherwise we are talking rubbish. you will see from my posts that , I have been complaining about this for the past two years and been to dealers on number of times .
I called customer relations for the third time since july and awaiting for another dealer to call me and book ,also demonstrate what I am complaining about .
Don't know what else could be said?
Yep, I agree. What else can we do?
Only thing is keep it under warranty and wait until it breaks down!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='698729' date='Oct 21 2008, 01:42 PM
Yep, I agree. What else can we do?
Only thing is keep it under warranty and wait until it breaks down!
Hi Smarty-156
I disagree ,because I know the fault is present ,it seems to happen most times. had a call from BMW,UK customer relations this morning. His advise was to go back to the first dealer and as they have done a lot of work as still not good and BMW UK has already has paid for the repairs . OK there we go again with explaining ,booking and replacement car. I asked him if he knows of any other 3.0d suffering , reply was no. it seems they never look at any forums and don't give a monkey about them either. then I said about number of owners have the same........ he was not aware of anybody else , Thanks very much
May be we should all get together and write a propper complain to either bmw uk or AG.
I am sick of it for sure.
Let me know what you guys think is the best way to go about it?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Members

Well, strangely, mine seems to have stopped doing it as suddenly as it started 6 months ago!
Can't get it to do it at all now. Bizarre!

They only thing I have done is unplug the cable for the M5 paddleshift upgrade I did in case they wanted to blame that. Maybe it is that! I need to re-attach it to see if it's that. Can't see how it would be but you never know.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Members

Under the acoustic cap you will see the vacuum control system that is used to operate the EGR and the turbo (BMW item 11747796634). These have small airfilters on them used when the system breaks the vacuum..check to see if the filter is dirty..they usually are, clean it and see if the fault goes away. It makes a big difference to the way the car runs..
Old 10-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='680770' date='Sep 29 2008, 06:57 AM
Is it on the same bit of road?
Mine does it when the road is on a very slight downhill and I'm applying very gentle throttle (i.e. just enough to keep a constant speed).
Wow, I'm glad I found this post. Now I know I'm not crazy. Same slight down hill stretch of 35 mph road I travel daily I get the herky jerky where the rpm bounces between 1000 and 1500. I told them about it at my last service and they could not replicate the problem and found no faults. I figure it has to be something normal and until it actually interferes with my car's ability to get me to work I won't worry about it. I thought it might be some slick technology that keeps the car from speeding up on the downslope. But you all think it must be an issue of some sort so I will stay tuned to hear what you guys come up with...
Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Members

Hi

I guess the filter is inside the Vacuum/pressure converter?

Has anyone tried to clean it with succes?

My E60 530d run very low on milage and has the same faulth when I try to give gas, it takes some time for car to react...
Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hibberd' post='704430' date='Oct 27 2008, 02:16 PM
Under the acoustic cap you will see the vacuum control system that is used to operate the EGR and the turbo (BMW item 11747796634). These have small airfilters on them used when the system breaks the vacuum..check to see if the filter is dirty..they usually are, clean it and see if the fault goes away. It makes a big difference to the way the car runs..
This may well be the thing that cured my problem. I'll have to check the dates in my service book, but around that time they changed the air filter and also the EGR valve. It was the same initially but then the problem went. Maybe the car adjusted itself gradually to the new filters? Got to be worth doing though to see if it cures the problem.

Only problem I have now is a slight rumbling which "seems" to come from the gearbox when on a light load. Trouble is, because it only does it when you drive along the garage couldn't replicate it (and hence identify it) in the garage. As I've now extended the BMW warranty I think I'll just leave it now until a fault comes up on the i-Drive or I get an actual problem when I drive (the car still performs as it should). I don't want to spend a fortune asking them to track a fault that they won't be able to find. Been there, done that!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ysse' post='736631' date='Dec 3 2008, 07:28 AM
Hi

I guess the filter is inside the Vacuum/pressure converter?

Has anyone tried to clean it with succes?

My E60 530d run very low on milage and has the same faulth when I try to give gas, it takes some time for car to react...
Yes, I've seen people describe how to do it on another forum. Have a search on this one.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

This is to everyone out there with gear problems and you Smarty:

I recently bought my 545i and noticed that in certain gears the car would "jerk" like all of you; since I am still under warranty I took it to the dealership. They first reset the tranny, it did not work. My boyfriend and I test drove the car with the technician and the shop foreman and duplicated the jerking motion in different drive modes (D, DS & M). We left the car there, got a loaner and told them to call only when the car was fixed! Well, it is fixed and it drives like a dream! THEY REPLACED THE MECHATRONICS MODULE, the invoice reads: "it had faulty shorts for EGS, after replacement of mechatronics I programmed and encoded complete vehicle including CAS. I cleared all adaptations in vehicle and re-teached adaptation values." In other words, they replaced the transmission module.
I just thought that all of you should know what to look for since I was afraid that I had a lemon in my hands...

Good luck

Quick Reply: Auto gearbox