E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention ALL 545iA Owners, can you please confirm the following idlin

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545iA - Built date 09/03, Sport Package, Alpine White III, Grey Interior, Cold Weather Package, PDC, Rear Electric Sunshades, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Chromed BMW Style 124 18x8, 18x9 Wheels, M-Tech Aero Kit, Rear Trunk Decklid Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Valentine One Modifications: RDSport Quad Exhaust, 20x8.5 and 20x11 HRE 943R, Vorsteiner CF Decklid, Dinan CAI

Hi All 545iA owners!

Can you guys please help and confirm whether your 545iA shakes/jitters (idles rough) when the car is sitting there idling in Park or Drive?

I have an '04 545iA with 21,489 miles (built date 09/03) that shakes/jitters (idles rough) when the car is idling in Park or Drive. The problem occurs either when the car is cold or hot.

My car has been in and out of the dealer for about 4-5 times now. Thus far, my dealer has opened a PUMA case with BMW of North America and has performed the following:
1. Updated my car to the most recent software (CIP 220)
2. Had the BMW Field Service Engineer look at my car
3. Replaced all the intermediate levers and eccentric shafts
4. Submitted all my car data to BMW Engineers after the replacement of the intermediate levers and eccentric shafts
5. Performed a smoke test, determined there is a vacuum leak, and replaced the vacuum hoses that leaked.
6. Reseal my intake manifold

However, my car still shakes/jitters when it idles in Park. I did see a slight improvement when the car idles in Drive. It does not shake or jitter as much.

My dealer is now claiming that the shake/jitter when the car is idling in park is "normal". They are saying the 545i and 645i are like this. I told them to show me (5) 545i and (5) 645i that has this problem and we will talk but until then I stand firm and insist the problem be fixed immediately or else I am requesting a buyback. My car has been at the dealer for almost 4 weeks now. Prior to this visit my car was in and out of the dealer for about 3-4 weeks.

I have communicated to my Service Manager, BMW North America, and Director of Service if the Field Service Engineer can't fix it or come up with anymore solutions to fix this problem in a timely manner, I want a buyback. All of them seem to agree with great reluctance.

My Service Manager said their next course of action is to have another Field Service Engineer look at my car on Monday, May 15.

I know there have been numerous post on this issue and I have already brought it to their attention; however, it will be a big help for my case. So please help and post your response ASAP so I can prove them wrong by showing the response that it is NOT "NORMAL" that the 545i shakes/jitters (idles rough) when it idles in Park. A simple line that states your 545i does not shake/jitter when it idles in Park or Drive will help my case! Thank you in advance!

I will definitely keep you all posted and thank you for those that have replied thus far!
Old 05-13-2006, 01:23 PM
asg
Members

My Ride: Arpil '04 production 545, Orient Blue, Sport Pkg, Step, CWP, NAV, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, PDC, Sat Prep, cip v20.02 (bluetooth and mp3 working great)

no issues with the idle my '04 545ia. very smooth
Old 05-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

WOW!

I am sorry to hear your problem. I am very fortunate to have had no issues with mine. I will listen and feel out my car though. Only problem is I can only do the hot portion, as I am in Phoenix. Anyway, best of luck with your PUMA case.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Somthing is very wrong, my 04 545 is smooth as silk, it never rough
Old 05-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by remuse' post='281875' date='May 13 2006, 08:00 AM
Hi All 545iA owners!

Can you guys please help and confirm whether your 545iA shakes/jitters (idles rough) when the car is sitting there idling in Park or Drive?

I have an '04 545iA with 21,489 miles that shakes/jitters (idles rough) when the car is idling in Park or Drive. The problem occurs either when the car is cold or hot.

My car has been in and out of the dealer for about 4-5 times now. Thus far, my dealer has opened a PUMA case with BMW of North America and has performed the following:
1. Updated my car to the most recent software
2. Have the Field Service Engineer look at my car
3. Replaced all the intermediate levers and eccentric shafts
4. Submitted all my car data to BMW Engineers after the replacement of the intermediate levers and eccentric shafts
5. Performed a vacuum test, determined there is a vacuum leak, and replaced the vacuum hoses that leaked.

However, my car still shakes/jitters when it idles in Park. I did see a slight improvement when the car idles in Drive. It does not shake or jitter as much. My Service Manager said their next course of action is to have another Field Service Engineer look at my car on Monday, May 15.

Please advise ASAP! Thank you in advance!
Remuse, there have been a number of threads about similar issues, you might find some helpful posts with a quick search. I've definitely seen (and contributed to) a few of them on here. Please do post back with your results from Monday's FSE visist as I'm sure a number of us would be interested in the outcome. Good luck with this.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

A friend with a X5 4.4 reports the same thing (Dec 2004 build). His car finally got the heads replaced but it still does it occasionally - it is the only thing he hates about the car.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

My 05 Steptronic 545i has 20.01.00. Idle is smooth as silk all the time. There should be no roughness, and your dealer should, and probably does, know that. As the dealer to do a comparo between your car and one they have on hand.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i/ Olive Green/ Beige Dakota Lthr/ Sport Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Cold Weather Pkg/ Dark Polpar trim/ Logic7/ Comfort Seats/ Rear Comfort Pkg/ Steptronic/ Euro red reflectors/ iPod Interface

Either this is good news or bad news. My 04 545 has the same problem and I too was told that it was normal. I also mentioned to the SA that the car has a knocking sound between 1000-2000 rpm(on acceleration), once again they couldn't find it. Don't give up brother, because I certainly won't
Old 05-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [b][i]08 E-60 535i TT[/i][/b], 07/07 Production Date, Space Grey w/Blk Dakota interior, SA Tranny w/Pad Shift, Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, NAV, PDC, IPOD, 30% Lumar tint front, 20% Lumar tint rear. 20" EXE "Konkourse" machined polished aluminum alloy wheels, 20x9 front, 20x10.5 rear, riding on Toyo Proxes 4's -255/30/20 front & 295/25/20 rear. [b]Gone but not forgotten![/b] - 04 E-60 545i Silver Gray w/gray dakota interior, Sprt Pkg, Prem Pkg, CW Pkg, HUD, NAV, Logic 7, PDC, Rear Shades.

My 2004 545, production 05/04 has also been in twice for the same problem. They cannot find anything and want me to leave the car for as much time as it takes. So far I have not been willing to leave it more than three days at a time, I go into severe withdrawals and depression until I can sit behind the wheel of my baby. This made more so unbearable due to only being able to get an actual BMW loaner once, this last time I had to endure a junk 2006 Jeep Laredo 4 banger with NO power whatsoever.

Keep us posted as to what ends up happening.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I wonder if it can be bad gas.

Quick Reply: Attention ALL 545iA Owners, can you please confirm the following idlin