E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention ALL 545iA members - Please read n advise - Idle issue resul

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545iA - Built date 09/03, Sport Package, Alpine White III, Grey Interior, Cold Weather Package, PDC, Rear Electric Sunshades, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Chromed BMW Style 124 18x8, 18x9 Wheels, M-Tech Aero Kit, Rear Trunk Decklid Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Valentine One Modifications: RDSport Quad Exhaust, 20x8.5 and 20x11 HRE 943R, Vorsteiner CF Decklid, Dinan CAI

Hello to all fellow 545iA members,

First off...I want to thank all the fellow 545iA members for taking the time out to confirm for me whether your 545iA shakes/jitters (idle roughs) when it is idling either in Park or Drive. I really appreciate it!

If there are any other fellow 545iA members that have not confirm whether your 545iA shakes/jitters (idle roughs) when it is idling either in Park or Drive, please do so by clicking on the following link ASAP and replying whether your 545iA shakes when it is idling in Park or just reply here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=25705

The more confirmations I have the stronger the case I can present to my dealer and BMW North America who is saying that it is "normal" that 545iA shakes/jitters when it is idling in either Park or Drive.

Results of the second Field Service Engineer after sitting in my '04 545iA on May 15, 2006 that shakes when it is idling in Park:

According to my Service Manager, he said after the second Field Service Engineer came to sit in my car this afternoon, he also said it is "normal" even though my car shakes (idles rough) while it is idling in Park. My Service Manager told the FSE that I am still not happy at all with the shake when the car is idling in Park. The FSE then recommended for him to inquire BMW of North America further on the existing PUMA case.

My Service Manager told me he even asked the FSE to see if they can raise my RPM to the same RPM when my air condition is on (~750 RPM) because that actually alleviates the shake/jitter when the car is idling in Park, but he said they are not able to do that after examining all options.

Additionally, my Service Manager told me the following:

1. They have tap into all their resources and really am not sure what else to do at this point.
2. Opened a PUMA case
3. Replaced all of the intermediate levers and eccentric shafts
4. Performed a vacuum test, determined vacuum leak, replaced the vacuum hoses that leaked
5. Resealed my exhaust manifold
6. Had 2 Field Service Engineer look at and tested my car
7. My car does not have any performance, handling, or safety issues

Based upon my conversation with my Service Manager it appears that because they don't know exactly what causes the shake when my car is idling in Park and they don't know what else to do fix the problem, they are just going back and saying it is "normal" and that all 545iAs and 645is are like this. However, I cannot accept nor live with this problem.

I advised my Service Manager I have the following concerns:

1. How can they tell me the shake is normal when other fellow 545i owners don't have this problem?
2. I spent half a Sun after Bimmerfest at their dealership test driving an '04 545i (~32K miles) and '05 545iA (~9K miles) and they don't have this issue
3. If they are claiming it is normal, I told them to show me (5) 545iA and (5) 545i that has this problem and let me sit in them. As of yet, they have not been able to do that.
4. I went to Bimmerfest and spoke with 545iA owners and no one has this problem
5. Also, I raised the question of my resale value? What if down the road I decide to sell my car and prospective buyers pull a carfax report or a service hisotry?
6. What if the problem exasperate itself after my 100k warranty is out? (I have the extended warranty and maintenance package).

After I mention all of the above, my Service Manager agrees with my points and said his best next course of action is to inquire BMW NA on May 16 for further suggestions. However, I have no confident at all that they can come up with anything else except to tell me again that it is "normal" and that I should just pick up my car and live with it.

If they (my delaer and BMW of NA) can't come up with any further solutions, it appears I have no other alternative but to contact my attornies who I have on stand by to proceed with a buyback. In speaking with them, they believe I have a very strong case.

What are your thoughts? Please advise. Thanks in advance!