E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase 05 545i Need Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:02 AM
XBS
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and going to purchase a used 04-05 545i in the next few months. Basically im trying to learn as much about the car as i can in the next few weeks. I want to go with an 05 just because i dont want it to have as money problems as my friend has had with his 04 model. I am looking for one loaded up with the active headlights and HUD. Dont know what the main diffrences between the sport package and reg. are but im sure sport would be nice. Also need some advice on modifications.

When I acquire the car i would be doing the following modifications throught 6 months. Please recommend some products that you believe are tasteful and point me in the direction were i can learn more about them. Also if there are any other good forums please let me know.

Modification Planning for 05 545i Black/Black

-Window Tinting
-2 or 3pc Staggered wheels black with polished lip ( what is the widest i can go? 20x9 / 20x10.5?)
-Dual Outlet exhaust that sounds exotic and actually produces performance gains
-Nice Body kit that can support dual outlet exhaust
-Rear roof Spoiler and trunk spoiler
-MB Quart Componets with JL Audio Amps and MTX subs. Probally in a bandpass enclosure
-Brembo GT Brake kit in red or maybe black not sure.

Thanks all im looking to do with this car. I am selling a highly modified 350Z that i dumped way too much money into and selling my GS300 to buy this and save some money to buy some property. But after getting into the modification scene, i can never have a stock car again

Thanks everyone for all the help.

-George
( Southern California, Los Angeles )
Old 05-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by XBS' post='282527' date='May 15 2006, 05:02 AM
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and going to purchase a used 04-05 545i in the next few months. Basically im trying to learn as much about the car as i can in the next few weeks. I want to go with an 05 just because i dont want it to have as money problems as my friend has had with his 04 model. I am looking for one loaded up with the active headlights and HUD. Dont know what the main diffrences between the sport package and reg. are but im sure sport would be nice. Also need some advice on modifications.

When I acquire the car i would be doing the following modifications throught 6 months. Please recommend some products that you believe are tasteful and point me in the direction were i can learn more about them. Also if there are any other good forums please let me know.

Modification Planning for 05 545i Black/Black

-Window Tinting
-2 or 3pc Staggered wheels black with polished lip ( what is the widest i can go? 20x9 / 20x10.5?)
-Dual Outlet exhaust that sounds exotic and actually produces performance gains
-Nice Body kit that can support dual outlet exhaust
-Rear roof Spoiler and trunk spoiler
-MB Quart Componets with JL Audio Amps and MTX subs. Probally in a bandpass enclosure
-Brembo GT Brake kit in red or maybe black not sure.

Thanks all im looking to do with this car. I am selling a highly modified 350Z that i dumped way too much money into and selling my GS300 to buy this and save some money to buy some property. But after getting into the modification scene, i can never have a stock car again

Thanks everyone for all the help.

-George
( Southern California, Los Angeles )

You should probably post this over in the Parts Accessories (aftermarket modifications and such) section of this forum. Dunno your market, but early 04s should be coming off lease soon.

Good luck,
Ray Hull
Old 05-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Seems like you may be dumping a lot of money into mods on the potential 545i also

I am not a mod-head but I would strongly suggest the M6 rims (big thread on this recently with good pics) and go for the "clean look" without the roof and trunk spoiler - I realize L.A. is mod central, but the 545 is not a Rice Rocket like a 350Z.

Also, given you are in SoCal, you might want to rethink that property "investment" IMHO as you may be at the end of the bull run in L.A. real estate and nothing hurts more than negative equity.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:55 AM
XBS
Members

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='282657' date='May 15 2006, 10:57 AM
Seems like you may be dumping a lot of money into mods on the potential 545i also

I am not a mod-head but I would strongly suggest the M6 rims (big thread on this recently with good pics) and go for the "clean look" without the roof and trunk spoiler - I realize L.A. is mod central, but the 545 is not a Rice Rocket like a 350Z.

Also, given you are in SoCal, you might want to rethink that property "investment" IMHO as you may be at the end of the bull run in L.A. real estate and nothing hurts more than negative equity.
Thanks for the advice. I also have a GS300 daily driver that i will be giving to my younger sister. I am going after the "VIP Style" look for this car. I am not sure what i will do but have seen a few 5 series that looks very nice also when i say spoiler i mean a very small discreet one. Not some type of wing. As far as the propery investment its going to be later on during the year and its commerical property and partner and I are looking at.

Thanks everyone for the help. What im looking for is information regarding what I should and shouldnt get, as far as year, options, etc.

Thanks again!

-George
Old 05-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Members

My Ride: I GOT A 2007 TITANIUM GRAY/AUBURN LEATHER 545I 6SPD MANUAL. COLD WEATHER PACKAE, PREMIUM, PREMIUM SOUND LOGIC 7, SPORT.

I have had a 545i, offcourse a few 540i's back in the days, and my advice for you is this!!! Save a little more money and get the 550i. That is what i am currently driving and the the difference beteen the 545 and the 550 is tremendous. I hated every second that i had the 545 and i love just as much the 550. It does not only have a bigger engine, but the Intake of that car and a few more things are designed differently from the 545. Plus, if you are buying the vehicle, look at the resale value in a few years, especially if the 550's are out. You'll also spend alittle less on mods because trust me this car does not need any performance mods. (at least for a while untill you get used to it). The only thing the 550 needs i would say is a limited slip differential and thats about it.
The best thing for you to do is to go over to any BMW dealer and test drive both car so that you can see for your self.
GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 05-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by blackbird6SPD' post='282796' date='May 15 2006, 03:51 PM
...but the Intake of that car and a few more things are designed differently from the 545.
blackbird6SPD, specifically what differences are you referring to above? Intake??

By the way, your signature says Titanium Gray w/ Auburn leather, but the BMWUSA website won't let me build that combo - how'd you do it. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Members

My Ride: I GOT A 2007 TITANIUM GRAY/AUBURN LEATHER 545I 6SPD MANUAL. COLD WEATHER PACKAE, PREMIUM, PREMIUM SOUND LOGIC 7, SPORT.

The BMWUSA website is not always correct and in this case it is definitely incorrect. If you contact any dealer they will tell you that the combination is available.
As far as the tech differences, you'll have to contact one of the techs at a BMW dealer. I was told by one of the shop foremans, that the 550i has some difference as far as a design of the engine and little things like its a different intake manifold for increased power and performance. ( I am really not sure), but i see quiet a difference between my 545 and my 550 at all RPM ranges.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:43 PM
XBS
Members

Originally Posted by blackbird6SPD' post='282860' date='May 15 2006, 05:25 PM
The BMWUSA website is not always correct and in this case it is definitely incorrect. If you contact any dealer they will tell you that the combination is available.
As far as the tech differences, you'll have to contact one of the techs at a BMW dealer. I was told by one of the shop foremans, that the 550i has some difference as far as a design of the engine and little things like its a different intake manifold for increased power and performance. ( I am really not sure), but i see quiet a difference between my 545 and my 550 at all RPM ranges.
Well the thing is im going to be picking up a used 05 545 which i can acquire for about 45K a new 550 would be alot more and i would have to pay tax and liscense on top of that. So its more than likely out of my price range.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Members

I would probably save the mods for the 545 and use that money for the 550i. But again, i wish you good luck in anything you decide to do. Let us know what you got and post some pics...
Old 05-15-2006, 02:48 PM
XBS
Members

Originally Posted by blackbird6SPD' post='282866' date='May 15 2006, 05:46 PM
I would probably save the mods for the 545 and use that money for the 550i. But again, i wish you good luck in anything you decide to do. Let us know what you got and post some pics...

What problems did you have with your 545 that made you unhappy with it?

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase 05 545i Need Advice...